New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  18:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I went and picked up my female hatchling today. Not decided on a name yet.

Done 3 strike feeds with CPR so far- due to be fed on Thursday. Very alert and unphased by all the journey etc.

Took her out and she initially was stretching around away from me but after a while she settled down on my hand before popping her into her home. In the photo she's gone into the 'ball' posture but otherwise she had her head out. Popped her into the faun and she imeddiately slinked into her hide. However now she's outside looking around exploring and seems pretty happy.

My whole family are completely taken by her... I think she's absolutely beautiful.

What do you think? Good specimen? Anything you notice that I don't?

0.0.3 Koi Carp

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  18:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice buddy

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  19:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, she's lovely! Congrats!

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  20:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Quick question, the humidity is showing at 76%. Surely that's gonna be impossible considering it's a well ventilated faunarium?

On that note, which probe is likely to be the one that does humidity? The one which is just a metal 'probe' or the one which is encased in a plastic cage? I figured it's the latter due to the cage, but if I'm wrong that would explain a lot as the other one is under the substrate where it's probably a tad more humid.

0.0.3 Koi Carp

Edited by - frambo on 21/08/2011 20:35:36
Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  20:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gorgeous snake

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  20:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hygro probe will be encased in plastic. Thermometer probes are metal lozenges, sometimes covered in a very thin plastic sleeve but sometimes exposed. Humidity could be up at that level, mine is up at the moment, its been raining and warm, I've also a clothes horse full of drying clothes and raditors loaded with towels. External variations will affect the faun environment. Its also a large bowl.

I noticed you said stretching away from you, thats a good thing, its exploring, they ball up or bite when scared (mainly ball up) so exploring is good.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  21:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gorgeous

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  22:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. And thanks Lotabob, that's put my mind at rest.

She's been inside her warm hide for a while, but next time I looked she's stuck about a third of her body length out. When I change the water tomorrow I'm guessing it's simply a matter of taking out the bowl, changing it and replacing it? Or will madam need to be moved?

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  22:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, just take the bowl out and change. If she's anywhere near it, chances are she'll back into her hide as your hand comes in ...don't worry about this; you haven't traumatised her. I usually apologise with a load of snakey baby talk but that's just me lol!

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  23:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're not alone with talking to them... I've been keeping the lights dimmed fully with just my screen on. Can't see too well but she's out and about in her full glory. On Thursday before I feed her I'll weigh her, I've a feeling she's going to be a big un when she grows up :P

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  23:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bless her - she sounds great! Brings back memories of when Shahi (first royal) arrived - bet you keep getting up to check on her tonight - happy days lol!

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  09:16:05  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks great !! congrats !!

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  10:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Bless her - she sounds great! Brings back memories of when Shahi (first royal) arrived - bet you keep getting up to check on her tonight - happy days lol!

Woke up about 2 and she had turned her hide on its side (need to weigh it down).

Woke up at 4 this morning to find her fully stretched out as much as she could in the tank, first time I've seen her stretched from one corner to the other and looked very python like.

And then when I finally woke up madam had turned her hide upside down and was sitting on top of it. Put my hand in and she wouldn't move off it but glared at me defiantly, so I couldn't put it the right way up. I had to nudge her towards the other end which she didn't like as she's gone into her hide sulking and hasn't come out.
Such a great personality...

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  11:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww bless her - sounds like a right little madam already. People think snakes' faces are expressionless - they're not are they?

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  11:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha she did seem to look at me with a degree of interest just now. It's great, she's in my bedroom in a place where I can look in while on my computer... now since starting to type this she's decided I'm boring and she's gone back into her hide. Gonna weigh her on Thursday before I feed her. Is there anything I can add to her faunarium too keep things interesting? She's constantly keeping her head right up at the top and I'm sure she'd like something to climb.

I have some astroturf samples... would it be a good idea to give one of them a wash and place it on top of the hot end hide? I have short, long, fluffy, springy, rough, smooth. (all small sample bits that I've not much use for)

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  11:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe some fake plants a water bowl would be a good idea

Also I wouldnt weigh her just before her first feed it may stress her out and she will decide not to feed
Maybe in the morning then feed her late at night ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 22/08/2011 11:43:44
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  11:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waterbowl goes on top of the cold end hide as in the photo... just didn't have it in when I took the photo. Thanks for the advice, will feed her in the night and weigh her the morning before. To be honest I think I'm lucky with her- she seems quite bold and not too fazed by anything.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  14:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gorgeous little one mate :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

macquirie
Yearling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  15:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Lovely Snakie! The first of Many?

Warmest Wishes

John

1.0.0 Het Albino,Monty
0.1.0 Het Albino,Medusa
0.2.0 Het Albinos,Boudicca & Cleopatra
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  16:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Astroturf is cool, and ought to be easy to clean but she'll probably heave it all over the place, bless her - naughty girl, wrecking her setup lol. Yes, as D3l says, fake plants would be good - one large sprawly plastic plant would feel like undergrowth to her, and be easy to clean. You're a bit limited in a faun, space-wise of course; she'll be able to have a branch etc when she gets into a bigger enclosure. I buy that reptile vine that you can bend to shape, and fix it to the viv walls with screw eyes and cable ties/twine (avoid trailing ends.) A chunk of driftwood or mopani root looks good too and they find it handy for scraping against when shedding.

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  21:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macquirie

Lovely Snakie! The first of Many?

Warmest Wishes

John

Thanks... I don't know. I don't see myself owning that many snakes (already have a dog, lots of koi, a terrapin and a parrot on the way) but I guess you never know.

@Bats, put a bit of astro in and it's already slightly out of place. Bet it will be upside down by tomorrow. Other than that I realised her hide was too big for her so until I find a smaller one I've stuffed it with a hanky that's got my scent. She was out earlier in the evening moving around but now she's gone into the warm hide. I think she's an evening person personally.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000