New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  00:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just wanted to ask u a few questions if possible , u keeping breeding groups dont u ? if so how do u house them all ? ive seen some of your great collection , do u house together and then introduce a male ? or keep the male with them all year round ?
ive seen alot of conflicting info online and its confusing me , i would like to breed in the future if i can add to the collection as my little ones are too small . but im sure if i should house females together and then add a male or have a trio all year round . any advice ? thanks

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  12:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We currently only have a breeding pair, the other female is not quite up to size so housed alone at the moment.

The breeding pair we brought as just that. They were housed together when we got them and I believe always had been. So they will stay together until end of September time then we plan to move the male into his own enclosure for the winter, and move our other female in with the adult as they will both be the same size.

We also have another male who has his own enclosure. Not sure on the breeding plans yet if he will be used next year. If not after the winter the adult male will be introduced back into the viv with the 2 females.

You can keep a breeding group together, but they will need to have the temperature cooled over the winter. Which will stop the male pestering the female, and also stop the female from producing eggs, which she will need to do to stop her burning out!!

Just to add, you really do need them at a decent weight before adding a male, after I read recently of a female getting gravid at 19g which is not good for them at all
They say 35g +
Hope that's helped abit ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 25/08/2011 12:22:33
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  12:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's our sets ups

And our hatching rack what was made out of a DVD/cd cabinet just adding a very big heat mat
And a pulse stat for the winter ;)

We made need to make another rack for the other hatching we get but were hoping to sell as we go ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  13:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got you , ive jut been searching online and found so much conflicting advice! what size dimensions to u keep the male and fem together in ? you see we would love to get a pair of adults and keep them living together , but all the advice i seem to find states you should split them up . so potentially i would need two exo terra's for them and also the two exo terras for dylan and charlie . what temps do u cool them down to in the winter ?
sorry for all the newbie questions , just want to make sure i can get as mcuh info as possible first , as later in the year we may add a few more .
i watched the new little charlie shedding the other nite , they make it look quite alkward! lol

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  14:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to the Internet cool them down to 18-21 for 2 months over winter. We havnt had to cool them yet though as we only got them this year :)
But to be honest our usual temps are not far off this anyway!

Our pair are kept in a 45x45x60 so over winter the 2 females will be in there together. Each of the males will have a 30x30x45 for winter. We will have a spare 45x45x60 so if we have 2 breeding pair next year they will have one 45x45x60 each

We are still fairly new to this ourselves :) so hope we are giving you the right advice, but as with everything everybody has their own ways of doing thing!! Will feel a bit better when we have come through the winter :)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  14:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you've been a great help , its something we are considering getting into , but there is so much conflicting advice out there that its hard to kno whats great . im planning on getting a 45x45x60 to house two adults . but for now will try and get a 30x30x45 as they are still small and then i can always use it as a spare

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  14:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ps what size rubs are they in the book shelf ? i have a bookcase thats empty see ;) lol

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  16:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There only 1.6 lt but as there going to be Diddy I don't want them to get lost
And not find the food

Ps.

Exo terra glass tanks are cheap from
Seapets.co.uk free del for orders over £29.99 ;)

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/reptile-supplies/reptile-terrariums/terrariums-by-exo-terra/all-products.html

now on facebook

Royal Pythons

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 25/08/2011 16:54:15
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  19:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive checked those tanks , very cheap , may well be ordering some from there. so i can keep two gals in a 45x45x60 and then get a smaller 30x30x45 for the male on his own to stay in ?

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  20:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's all down to preference really some say 45x45x60 for one crestie

End of the day it's down to you to choose

This is only what I do and other may do things differently

Its what works for you ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  23:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for ur help :)
have u got any tips for stuck shed ? little charlie has abit by his one toe , u kno how the toe curls up a little ? its around that it doesnt look tight but coton buds wont get it off and im just worried , is there anything i can do ?

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  23:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When our little crestie had stuck shed on his tail we use to just spray it with water and hoped that it didn't get to tite so it didn't lose it's bit of tail
It came off in is next shed

Do you spray in the morning and night ?

We like to as it keeps the humidity up and helps with shedding

No need to panic just give at a little spray every day till it comes off in the next shed
Or he might work it off ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  00:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup we spray the sides of the tank and the leaves twice a day , so just try and spray it on him ?

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  08:53:36  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try and get only where the stuck shed is ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  13:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has a nice bath last nite , dont think he liked it much , but will get him out again tonie and check that its come off , hoping he will work it off with the cork bark too thats in his tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  15:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never owned cresties - but would it be feasible to put a crestie with stuck shed into a damp pillowcase and rub for 30 mins like we do with snakes, or alternatively into a small rub with a damp flannel for the same amount of time? Just a thought.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000