New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  12:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If putting him/her on your bed, MAKE SURE SHE'S GONE TO THE BLEEDING TOILET FIRST!

I didn't realise she'd done it till I noticed the very smelly wet patch on the bed. And yes, it has soaked through to the mattress.

In other news, she had shed for me today. Eyecaps present but presently she has not shed from the vent down. (worried as she's done a wee while she's got loose skin, hope no infections occur). At the moment all I've done is put a damp kitchen towel on the floor of warm hide above the heatmat- hoping the heat from the mat will raise evaporate the water in the towel and raise humidity?

At the same time, that damp kitchen towel is right over the probes, the thermometer is showing 28 and the heatmat is on full blast to compensate. Is that ok? Once the water's evaporated the temp will return to normal but in the mean time is that gonna make her too cold/hot?

Cheers

0.0.3 Koi Carp

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  13:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, my maths/practical sense is lousy re temps, but I wouldn't put anything wet on top of a heat mat, if the mat's in with the snake (apologies if she's in a rub on a mat). Mats aren't fully waterproof.

On the bed!!Naughty girl!!

I hope you've got some Febreze!

Another thing you could try is, put her in damp pillowcase, tie top, put in ventilated rub for 30 mins supervised and let her squirm - the damp and friction may well loosen that tailtip and if it doesn't come away naturally, you may be able to slide it off. Royal tailtips have a little sharp end, by the way; it isn't hard skin - this bothered me at first, because Shahi's first shed was like this.

Al the best ...ohh, on the bed ...urrgghh! Don't they just choose some places eh?

Go to Top of Page

prozacbear
Yearling

United Kingdom
130 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  13:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dangerous end of a royal is not the head end in my experience

Personally when there's a bad shed I get them in a nice warm bath for a soak

Guybrush (royal python) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csapnto_Q5I

Cassiopeia (Brazilian rainbow boa) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5VQhPP7qVM&NR=1

Smaug (deseart iguana) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZD_SFA8Lg

Axos & Sutekh (cats) http://youtu.be/AFCgZcHXuTU

Nessie & Nemo etc ( tropical fish)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  13:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacbear

The dangerous end of a royal is not the head end in my experience

LOL - imo that goes for ANY snake!!

Just been saying I'd rather be bitten than crapped on lol!

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  13:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure I'd fancy either choice myself, lol.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take the bite anyday, at least you get a cool mark to show everyone. Oh I would have to take all the bedding and matress outside and burn it. If she has only just shed just get a piece of damp kitchen roll and run in down her tail applying a little bit of pressure for friction, it should pop straight off, its only worth while with a bath once the skin dries out if its still got moisture in it then just give it a hand its probably just broke off and now she has no way of catching it on anything to continue the shed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  14:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True - she may do what Shahi did when I had to bathe his tail (didn't know about the pillowcase tip then)and he squirmed against the pressure of my fingers and helped ease off the shed.

Nah, I'd douse the mattress in Febreze and just turn it dry side up ...omg aren't I a slob? ...It's just that I'd crave sleep over sanitation any day lol!

Oh, hang on - you can buy antibacterial Febreze - job done!

Edited by - n/a on 29/08/2011 14:54:37
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  15:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope I'd still soak it in petrol and add one match, lol.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  15:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - what's the odd snake mess between friends. Must add, if it was the snake's or cat's mattress I'd burn it, but humans are tougher lol!

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  16:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok managed to get it all off apart from one cm near the end of her tail. Other than that it's all off, including eyes and vent. But here's another question, in one spot on her back she has a few places where there's about 3mm of skin that feels coarse to the touch and isn't as glossy as the rest. However doesn't look grey, just like a non glossy black. Is this a normal irregulaarity or is it some skin that needs to come off?
Cheers

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  17:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to say without seeing it, but it sounds like stuck shed. Shahi had a couple of spots like this as a baby, which worried me, and I posted on here and Blackecho and Robert said the patches ought to shed out okay, and they did. As long as the eyecaps and tailtip are off (congrats!) odd spots like this aren't a problem. Keep your eye on them, of course, but with a shed or two, they should disappear.

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  23:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's reassuring Bats thanks. Now got all her shed off and she's looking much better for it. Didn't realise as I had nothing to compare it to but looking at her now and photos of her, it should have been obvious she was about to shed.

But her shed was balled up in her hide, is this normal?

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  14:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh it is indeed! I don't know how the hell they get it all off in the hide, like someone in a small changing cubicle. And it's a common joke on this forum about the shed resembling a used condom lol!

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  16:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahaaha that's exactly what I thought when I got it out.

I'm exceptionally pleased with her today- she ate her first mousey (or it could have been a rat, I'm not sure really) Out of the faun too! See my other thread

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000