New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  20:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after about 4 months without food, my royal has just eaten a gerbil. tried 2 get him from mice 2 rats but to no avail. then he started eating a couple of chicks a week but then he went off them. so while he was off chicks i tried him back on the rats, scenting them with either mice or chicks. but after 4 months of no eating, i've just tried him with a gerbil and he's eat it straight away. so where do i go from here, try rats again or stick with the gerbils 4 a while? and do the gerbils grow big enough? also are they much more expensive?

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  21:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on him feeding - that must have been a relief. From what I've seen of gerbils, adults aren't much bigger than mice, so rats are preferable if he'll take them, otherwise, depending on size, he's going to need several gerbils at one sitting. I don't know if gerbils are more expensive, but one rat's going to be a lot more convenient. Could be a good idea to try him with another gerbil or so, and then, once he's well into the feeding habit, try again with rats. Most of them WILL switch eventually to a rat. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  23:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you buy these Gerbils? My local shop only sells chicks, mice or rats!

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  19:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gt barr, by birmingham. but i paid £3 for a smallish gerbil, whereas a small weaner rat will only cost me half that. but i dont really care as long as the gerbil is as good 4 him as the rat would be?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  20:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't find any nutritionl table that lists these critters, but ...the royal comes from West Africa ...and so do species of the gerbil ... Yum!

Only problem in this country is the price and the size, alas.

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  18:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok then, thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: