New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long does it normally take for a snake to shed after going blue?

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote

When the eyes clear normally 1-2 days

Another good sign when there coming up to shed is there belly turns pinkish

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  14:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it feels like it lol!

No, seriously, looked back in my snake diary - Shahi, 4 months and 125g, 30/8/10 skin dusty, eyes cloudy, though he did feed.

1/9/10 - eyes blue.

Didn't note down when he cleared but I find it's usually as D3l says, a couple of days from clear to shed. He shed on 6/9/10.

On the other hand, Spider, my anery corn, went into deep blue on 25/7/11... she cleared some days later ...but she hasn't shed yet!!

And I've bottomed that viv, searching for a skin! Trust corns to be awkward lol!

Edited by - n/a on 03/09/2011 14:32:16
Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  16:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it seems to depend on their size but mine usually take 5-8 days to go through the whole cycle and take their skin off, the youngest are normally the quickest :)

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  19:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, well Oscar doesn't look as blue eyed as he did the last time so maybe I was mistaken. They're definitely cloudy though or at least, not clear. In fact, I can't decide if they were blue and he's clearing or they weren't really blue in the first place.

Am I making myself clear? 'cause that sounds like garbage to me, lol.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  20:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does his skin look as if it's been dusted with flour? Or his belly a bit pinkish (though this doesn't always happen.) It's interesting that he didn't strike-feed last time. And the cloudy eyes too. Just odd changes like that, changes in habits too. From what you've said he could well be going into blue - and you're not talking garbage.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  11:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really know what's going on Bats. He's hiding all the time. I thought he was dead this morning!!!! He's buried in his humidity hide amongst the sphagnum moss and I couldn't see him breathing. Even when I picked the hide up with him in it, there was no movement and he usually pops his head up. I had to give him a gentle poke, and then he moved a bit. So, haven't been able to get a good look at him this morning but there's no sign of a shed anywhere, or a poop or anything else. He definitely didn't look as bright as normal yesterday though.

He must be due a shed as he put a lot of weight on last week but I wish he'd hurry up and finish whatever it is 'cause I'm itching to hold him and I've got some new bits for his viv and want to get that done too, lol.

Still lots to learn.

Edited by - Lorraine on 04/09/2011 11:22:45
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  12:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww - been there, done that! That is typical royal behaviour anyway once they settle in - they get their head down in their hide and you don't see them for days ...I scarcely see anything of mine unless I get them out for handling or checking or feeding ...don't even see Surahi for feeding lol.

But from what you describe, his habits have changed and to me it certainly sounds like he's going into shed. It won't do any harm to lift him out for a moment and have a quick look at him for your own peace of mind. He might have a hiss at you if he's going into blue but don't let that put you off. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  14:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to remember these snakes are the ultimate energy savers, if they aren't moving, or digesting etc they are barely using any energy and when they aren't using energy they just dont need to breathe that often. Its this reason that means they can fast for very a long time too. I've had to prod Duke before thinking he was dead, the funny thing being their response to been disturbed is to freeze making it look even more dead.

Easiest early visible sign of shed is a blurred pink belly but if a good feeder suddenly stops eating or an active snake disappears then thats also a good sign of an approaching strip act. The blue Royal is an obvious one, they do go a very grey 'dusty' colour and the eyes will completely white out, approach a white eyed snake with caution though, it cant see you and may instinctively strike out in defense when its so vunerable though not all do, you'll soon find out if you stick your hand in.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  14:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOl Bob - mine never have - they just ball up and hide their heads. But Shahi hissed at me when he was a baby in his first blue ...ahh blesssss!

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  14:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.
When he had his first shed with me (the bad one) his eyes were really pale blue and I just happened to run him back to the pet shop asking what was wrong!!!! Idiot! Anyway, of course I now know what to look for but I can definitely say his eyes now are NOT like they were then.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  17:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Shahi hissed at me when he was a baby in his first blue ...ahh blesssss!

Duke is very vocal when he wants to be left alone, its not very often he will hiss at me but when he does it sure is an effective way to get me to back off, its so loud and the vivarium amplifies it too, like a buses air brake.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  19:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'd love your Duke. He sounds a proper character. Oooops, there I go again, humanizing an animal, ha ha. Don't we all though?

I finally got a look at Oscar and his eyes are clear. So, it was either my imagination or they were blue and he's in the next stage. I'll give it a couple more days before starting to wonder again.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  20:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe up the humidity for the next couple of days so if he does shed will be a lovely nice complete shed

Some put a damp flannel in the hot end

I move the water bowl up to the hot end

Each to there own I guess both work ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 04/09/2011 20:51:04
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  23:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, done that D3. :o) Got damp sphagnum moss in his humidity hide as well.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  11:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woohoo....Look what I got up to this morning.

The bit in the hide was all rolled up so I unrolled it as best I could and it's complete. Eye caps, the lot. Measures 25 inches. Now I can clear all that sphagnum moss away and put his new bits in. There was signs in the skin that he still has a few mites though (I think that's what the black dots were anyway) so next week I can give him another spray. There's very little sign on the white ground though anymore, so I think I'll put his aspen back in too now.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  12:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! Crafty little devil! AND he ate too, good lad! Congrats, and great shed too!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  16:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice clean shed. i'd still wait until completely sure. kitchen roll. don't want them hiding and reproducing then having to start all again.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  17:44:26  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Royalbob

nice clean shed. i'd still wait until completely sure. kitchen roll. don't want them hiding and reproducing then having to start all again.

this. if there are still signs of the odd mite, i would wait another week at least to put substrate and things in. i now what your going through, when bow got mites last year, it was around christmas, and i had bought monty my corn a new 4ft, which meant the 3ft was clear for bullet to go into, which meant the bigger rub was clear for bow, and i had bought so much nice stuff for each new cage, but couldnt move any of them over as they were all in one corner, so chances were mites could have been in the other cages, luckily it was only bow who had mites, but kept everyone in quarintine. took me 3-4 good weeks of only paper towel, 2 hides and a water bowl to get rid of them all, but after it was so nice to have them back in natural setups nowing i was mite free for good

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  18:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, dear. I'm so impatient. It's too late. Fingers crossed I haven't cocked up then.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000