age by size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  12:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi was just wondering if anyone knows how you can find out the age of a royal by length and weight? I got my first snake 2days ago and its 100g and approx 20-22in long. I got told it is around 3/4months does anyone know if this is correct? Any advice appreciated.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  13:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds about similar to my first royal at that age - but in fact it's impossible to really tell a royal's age from its size. A good eater will grow faster and like people, there are big royals and small; my Shahi, cf10, is now 1050g; Saada, cf09, was 300g when I got her almost a year ago (and she'd been well cared for but fed according to directions of a shop; less than we do on this forum) and she's 665g now. So you can see the variation, especially as girls are supposed to be bigger than lads.

This is a good link as well. Hope this helps.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4437

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  13:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my royal frank is the same size and was told hes a year old but hes way too small for a year i think hes about 5-6 months old as a guess
but as bats says they are all different. congrats on the new snake

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  14:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds about right what you've been told but if it was a slow feeder then it may be a bit older.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  15:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's about what my Oscar was too.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  20:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks bats and everyone else he was the best feeder the shop has had them for two weeks now and it's the only 1 that has fed two out of two.

just wondering how do you sex a snake because it hasn't been sexed yet so it 's a bit hard naming it. lol

thanx again everyone really appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  20:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probe them or pop them

Should be done by someone that's done it before though
Like a reptile shop / vets / local breeder

Maybe ask them if you want to do it yourself for when you get your next royal ;)

Any mistakes can damage / hurt it

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 04/09/2011 20:48:11
Go to Top of Page

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  20:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx d3l i won't be doing it will take it to the rep shop and ask them to show me so i no for wen i get another royal.

Edited by - toney0105 on 04/09/2011 20:53:47
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  20:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's lots of videos on YouTube on how to but without seeing it and learning from the expert I wouldn't advice it

;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 04/09/2011 20:57:35
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  20:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually there is someone at the shop who knows how to 'pop' hatchlings ie gently manipulate their tail/vent area so that their private bits emerge ...a male snake has two penises (hemipenes - essential so as to engage with the female whichever way their tails tilt during mating) and is instantly recognisable as opposed to the female.) This is of course a job for an expert, as is probing older snakes ie slipping a small metal probe into the vent towards the tail end - the distance it goes in is indicative of gender.

However, royals have spurs either side of the vent - these are tiny vestigial legs left over from the days when a snake was a lizard. In a female royal these are no more than minute bud-like growths; in a male the spurs are usually curved like tiny horns - he can actually move them to stroke his mate while mating.

This isn't a hard and fast indication, i'm afraid - only a guide, though it's true that my male, Shahi, has obtrusive spurs and the girls don't. The only reliable way is to have the snake probed at a good reptile shop, or at a vet's. Popping isn't 100% as the affronted male may refuse to show his courting tackle - and who can blame him?

LOL - know what you mean about naming - when I bought my first corns they all had to have unisex names so that I didn't end up with a girl called Fred or a boy named Sue!

Edited by - n/a on 04/09/2011 20:59:31
Go to Top of Page

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  20:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it wise to leave it till wed for its feed. the shop told me every Sunday but as i got her on sat i thought it would be better to leave her for a little while to settle in first. or should i just feed it now or next Sunday. thank all of you again really appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  21:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah - shops always seem to feed on a Sunday lol!

A good rule is to leave a royal to settle in for a week before feeding - so, if you've bought her/him on the Saturday, I personally would try with the first feed next Saturday. It won't do any harm at all to miss today's feed; snakes are opportunist feeders and designed to miss a meal with no ill effects. Thereafter, at that weight, according to our Blackecho, it's a good idea to feed every 5 days. Don't be too dismayed if the first meal isn't taken - some royals take a while to settle in. Hope this helps.

Edited by - n/a on 04/09/2011 21:33:52
Go to Top of Page

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  21:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks again everyone. bats i seen that post by Blackecho that's the reason i was thinking about feeding her on Wednesday. but i will leave him/her till Saturday thanks bats.

p.s. if anyone has any good suggestions for unisex names for me i would be grateful because i can't think of any. thanks again everyone

Edited by - toney0105 on 04/09/2011 21:51:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000