Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aimeecrr
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  23:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone
Went an bought my tank today, thats one more thing off the list, was wondering if you guys could give me advise on what other things to get?
1. Im getting a thermostat, with a dimming function which my local reptile shop advised, is this the right way to go?
2. Substate, i was told to get something to help with the humidity, but i dont know what its called or if its any good?
3. I have decoration if need be, a nice climbing log and some bushies.
4.Still undecided on the light, comments welcome
I think ive covered everything, if not feel free to chip in with suggestions.
Thanks for your time everyone :-)

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  02:57:28  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya

I use dimming stats on my vivs, good thing about these is if you use an infa red bulb with the stat you have a permanent lighting that won`t upset your snake and also you get to see your snake whenever you like, no other light is needed but make sure you use a light guard

I use aspen bedding in my royal vivs with humidity in the 50`s naturally, only time I raise the humidity is when he`s coming into shed and I just clear the aspen from the front corner of the viv and use sphagnum moss which raises humidity to around 70%, he`s straight into the moss, seems to love it

A hide on the hot side and one on the cool side with some foliage and he will be a happy snake

Martin

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  12:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a water bowl and thermometer ; )

I personaly use orchid bark, but either that or the aspen seems to do the trick fine. I like the bark 'cause it looks natural and I think it would be less likely to be eaten when feeding. But it's totaly up to you about that one.
Again, personaly, I don't use lighting in the viv. There's no real need for it and, again, as a result the viv looks more natual (I'm particular!). I can see Tig at night 'cause he's in the living room so I can see him while the lamp is on in the corner, and the telly is on too. But some people do use certain kinds of lights in-viv with no problems.
Plenty of fake plants seems to be prefered as Royals are secetive animals and don't like to feel exposed. I have a branch, entangled vines and lots of plastic plants for Tig and he loves to wind himself round the lot of them... tiz fun when it's time for his nebulizer treatments! Wreseling is meant to be good exersize, though, right? X )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  12:28:43  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use bark, it means at shedding time a little extra bark on the warm side brings the humidity up beautifully.

If you want a realistic viv, go with SILK plants and the exoterra vine cause they look better and are more realistic, but they are slightly more expensive

surry pet supplies is great for stuff, cheapest too.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  13:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By tank, do you mean wooden viv? If so, these little gismos are great for attaching plants/climbing branches. Screw eyes, a fiver for a packet of 25 from B&Q. I also use them to attach bulb guards because once the screw hole is made (you need a really sharp gimlet or a drill) the eyes can be unfastened/fastened by hand, faster than faffing about with screws and screwdriver and no sharp edges.

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  14:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone
Went an bought my tank today, thats one more thing off the list, was wondering if you guys could give me advise on what other things to get?
1. Im getting a thermostat, with a dimming function which my local reptile shop advised, is this the right way to go?
Yes, they will work with both I.R bulbs and ceramic bulbs. I.R bulbs emmit a constant red light 24/7 as martinking said whilst ceramic bulbs emmit no light at all. Flouresant tubes, u.v or extra light bulbs are not needed.

2. Substate, i was told to get something to help with the humidity, but i dont know what its called or if its any good?
As advised by others Aspen or bark is fine. Be sure to treat certain types off substate as they can on occasion carry mites etc. Personnally although not the most attractive i stick to plain newspaper. Hygene wise i think it's best.

3. I have decoration if need be, a nice climbing log and some bushies.
Keep climbing logs qite low, royas can climb but they are not the best at it and tend to fall off a lot so low branches will help avoid any injury. Again make sure they are pre treated.

4.Still undecided on the light, comments welcome
I.R or blueneon led light will let you see your royals habits at night.

I think ive covered everything, if not feel free to chip in with suggestions.
Thanks for your time everyone :-)
just as already mentioned 2+ hides, water bowl and digital thermometer.

Happy shopping

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly