Shahi meets his public
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  16:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not terribly sociable, and neither is Shahi, but yesterday when I changed his water he stuck his head out of his cool hide with a pleased, expectant look on his face, and so I brought him out for armchair walkies.

As the day was warm, we had a look at the pond. Wished I had the camera handy as he relaxed on the green mossy margin, periscoping magnificently. Then the sky clouded over and we came inside and he climbed into my sleeve just as a gang of local kids hammered on my door. With Shahi's fat backside hanging out of my sleeve, I opened the front door, which gets all the sun, which was shining again, and so Shahi and I settled down on the doorstep for an impromptu show and tell.

'Is it a baby?'

'Is it poisonous?'

'How many pets have you got?'

'Have you got a COBRA??'

In the end we, me and a crowd of a dozen or so kids, discussed venomous snakes, Luke Yeoman's cobra breeding project, the DWA license and the shyness of royal pythons, as Shahi slid out of the armpit of my fleece and deigned to pose with his head on my shoulder. His name, which is Urdu for 'royal', was much approved of, as these were all Punjabi/Urdu speakers. They also wanted to know would he bite, and I said, no, but was unable to add - only if he mistakes your finger for a rat - as I couldn't get a word in edgeways to explain about the feeding response amid all the questions. They wanted to meet my other snakes; next time I'll try and organise a large placid corn - Saffy would be ideal; she wouldn't mind being handled (as long as I can be certain of her manners and that she's not going to make a sudden mess!) And I've got a bottle of Antibac for before and after handling.

It was a really good encounter. I hope Shahi and I helped to spread a bit of goodwill and knowledge about snakes, and I enjoyed it. And I don't think Shahi minded too much either.

Edited by - n/a on 11/09/2011 17:07:51

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  16:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awesomesauce, always good when you get to show your pets off, next time you can feet the snakes at your doorstep haha

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  16:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I think Saffy and Buffy WOULD feed in public, the gannets!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  17:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ziska next. that will stop the little gits knocking your door again.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  17:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - Bob - honestly!

I've known this lot virtually from birth; I've told them I won't answer the door if I'm not presentable ie makeup and the lasses understand that lol. They've only just got interested in the snakes.

Yeah, told them about Ziska but she's a bit too zippy to exhibit on the doorstep ...as long as we have a couple more fine weeks, Saffy will make her debut.

Edited by - n/a on 11/09/2011 17:44:09
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  20:19:36  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ahhhh, thats lovely! so cool for people to take an interest instead of freaking out!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  20:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL yes, it's brilliant, to see their faces, so fascinated, and I'm sitting there nursing Shahi like my baby and not a venomous monster ...completely new way of seeing snakes, I hope.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  22:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How lovely Bats. I bet that was really nice for all of you.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  23:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this street can be a bit claustrophobic due to 'respectable' stuffy neighbours, but the kids are great. One of them, not present yesterday, claims to be a relative of Steve Irwin ...actually there is a resemblance ...I haven't got much in common with the adults, but can always talk to the kids, and especially about snakes lol.

Edited by - n/a on 11/09/2011 23:17:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000