Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  15:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy at my herp store said he'd give me a non feeding CB10 female with a 3foot viv and a few bits and pieces (substrate, branches etc) for £200. This would be my first snake, but I'm pretty sure the guy just dumps a mouse in there for 20 mins and takes it out again.

I'm sure with a couple of the tricks I can get her feeding. If not, my brother has a small gerbil (joke!). I'm going to look at her in a couple of hours.

IF she is healthy apart from the non-feeding, how hard is the learning curve for a non-feeder? Seems to me like you just go through a slightly different proccess when feeding, and no hendling until the snake has fed a couple of times.

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  15:30:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Depends on the snake, it can be the hardest thing ever or the easiest. on a side not the guy at your herp store is a damn idiot!

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  16:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this is your first snake and you've absolutely no experience with non-feeders, I wouldn't buy her, I'm afraid. Better to look for a snake with a good feeding record.

Plus, to my mind, a non feeding CB10 counts as a 'rescue' and imo the price he's charging for her and the setup is astronomical. Do the 'bits and pieces' include heat bulb, fitting, guard and stat? If not, a new 3' viv, flatpack, is under £50. Leaving aside a few branches and substrate, he's charging about £150 for a non-feeding snake?

Plus when did she last eat - has she lost much weight, and if so, has there been any attempt to assist her or tempt her in other ways to eat - from what you say she sounds a bit neglected.

Sorry to be a bit critical by the way lol! But to my mind, I'd look elsewhere and buy a snake without these problems. All the best.

Edited by - n/a on 15/09/2011 16:26:47
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  16:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

If this is your first snake and you've absolutely no experience with non-feeders, I wouldn't buy her, I'm afraid. Better to look for a snake with a good feeding record.

Plus, to my mind, a non feeding CB10 counts as a 'rescue' and imo the price he's charging for her and the setup is astronomical. Do the 'bits and pieces' include heat bulb, guard and stat? If not, a new 3' viv, flatpack, is under £50. Leaving aside a few branches and substrate, he's charging about £150 for a non-feeding snake?

Plus when did she last eat - has she lost much weight, and if so, has there been any attempt to assist her or tempt her in other ways to eat - from what you say she sounds a bit neglected.

Sorry to be a bit critical by the way lol! But to my mind, I'd look elsewhere and buy a snake without these problems. All the best.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  18:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BATS has it 100% the shop has a non feeder and is trying to palm it off to a newbie as a bargain. Non feeders need a lot of patience expended on them and most likely moving from the 3 foot vivarium to something much much smaller until she feeds. You could knock together a perfectly decent, suitable and safe RUB setup for about £50 which if she is not feeding is actually your best option in my opinion. A normal female royal that is feeding etc the top line you would ever pay is £100, anyone selling for more than that is having a laugh (I paid £90 for a feeding normal male, thats top whack money for a common and readily available snake).

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  19:50:24  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what every-one else has said i'm afraid.

My first snake Betty was a non feeding corn snake, and i wouldn't change her for the world but it took 8 months and the help of the local reptile shop to get her feeding, i tried everything under the sun, and it's heart breaking to be presented with so much failure especially for your first snake.

The way i see it, when it comes to your first snake - don't think about the cost of it as in it's a 'bargain' etc, get the right snake for you, whether its a £35-er from a breeder (sorry i have no idea if that's how much they are) or £90 from a decent shop, it doesn't matter as that wee snake is the right one for you, and will be driving you mad in many fun ways for years to come.. and no doubt starts you on the addictive path of snake keeping - ones never enough haha!!

And yes the man in the shop is a muppet trying to make a muppet of you! i'd say don't even go and see the snake as you may cave into the sale because you feel sorry for it (yep i know i would!) but i reckon you've already gone judging by the time of your post :)

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  20:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I did go and see her, and she's a nice snake, very friendly and alert. I did make it sound like the guy is trying to palm a duff snake off to me, but this is not the case. He's made no meal of telling me pretty much what you guys have, that it might not be best for a newbie to get a non-feeder. That said, he does seem to want it gone.

And his prices are high, he has the snake marked up as £130 and the viv as £100
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  20:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's so much of this about, I'm afraid. A month or so ago I was in the same position and I might have crumbled if not for my wonky financial position (circs beyond my control; will manage but have to be careful.) But I did baulk at paying a silly price for a lousy setup... The seller was banking on my feeling sorry for the result of their mistake and bad management, grr! (The creatures concerned are getting nourishment by the way and not in danger but not imo actually thriving...) I made an offer, but not for the setup, and am still hoping we might bargain, but if I was a first time rep owner, no. I wouldn't feel competent.

I had my corns before Shahi, and Shahi was an assist, then in the spring came Shiloh, who was also an assist, and I was terrified with both of them. I still thank heaven that they're now vigorous feeders, but a new pet is like a new baby - there's so much to learn and get used to - it's far better to buy an animal in good working order, and, once you're used to owning that species, then you can think along the lines of rescue/oddballs.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  20:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Danny - we overlapped!

The prices he's asking are shocking, but I'm glad he was honest with you.

there will be so many royal hatchlings about now - bound to be a buyers' market, and you should find a little one in good working order for far less money. Might be a good idea to try Preloved/RFUK. I can recommend Surrey Pet Supplies for viv etc. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  20:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That price is absolutely bloody absurd, he needs a good slap and then some.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  20:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers, BATS.

I think I'm gonna keep looking around. It seems like all the shops around me are asking stupid prices. One is meant to be very good but I managed to spend £100 on a ceramic bulb, heat guard and uvb strip!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  20:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh heavens - try online! Yes, I was paying silly local prices - 50p for a pinky mouse; now I pay 9p (I suppose allowing proportionally for delivery that would be 10p lol.) THEN I discovered the online people ...
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/

You don't need a UVB light for a royal though - ceramic, guard and stat are fine, and if you want extra light cheap leds are the thing - others can advise on this. Could you return the UVB unit? I believe that's the thing for some lizards, but not snakes. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  20:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol the UVB was for the beardies BATS.
Although the guy in that store said you SHOULD use a uvb with royals. I don't know how these people get to be 'experts', but they make me want to punch them in the face.

50p is expensive for mice? If it was safe, my cat would be supplying a constant stream of mice
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  21:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah sorry lol! You'll have to put up all your pets on your sig!

Yeah I keep seeing this though with uv - saw a corn snake for sale the other day with setup 'complete with UV'

50p is damn expensive for pinkies imo but unless you've got mates to share a bulk delivery or the freezer space you're stuck with local suppliers ...

LOL - cats would make great hunter gatherers but for all the lurgies wild rodents carry ... shame ...

Go to Top of Page

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  08:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's an F3 bengal, so I don't think there is a living thing smaller than a dog for a good radius!

Out of interest, what counts as a bulk delivery? My parents have a HUGE freezer if I can talk them round to having dead mice next to thier steak!

Edited by - DannyDrama on 16/09/2011 08:25:36
Go to Top of Page

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  09:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, instead of making another thread I'll dump this here.

I'm planning on getting pretty much everything from surrey pet supplies. Here's a list, please let me know if I've missed anything!

Water bowl
2 Hides
Decoration
Lock
Substrate (probably orchid bark)
Thermometer/Hygrometer
Tongs
Viv (Duh)
Including the LX36 viv it's about £110. I've also been offered a CB10 female pastel for the same price as the other snake.

I already have a ceramic bulb and heatguard, as well as a thermostat.

I know someone recomended them, but will they get ALL that to me without a problem?

If you read all that, you're a hero!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  10:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds fine (mind you I've only just got up lol! Oops didn't log out last night either!)

I've always found them very reliable; they will keep on emailing you with the order's progress and you can track it as well.

Tongs though ...I buy mine from wilkinson's. Kitchen/barbie tongs (I like the ones with soft plastic grips in case the snake misses and bangs its nose.) They're only a couple of quid, but it's a case of preference of course.

Hygrometers can be a bit unreliable - a few people on here have had trouble with them but again, it's personal preference.

A pastel for the same price? I'm not expert on morph prices but that sounds more like it!

A huge freezer?? Cool! A 'small box' from A&N Frozen has an interior measuring roughly 15"x10"x10". But with only one snake, this is a hell of a lot of rats (rats are best because of higher fat content/size - you don't want to be feeding 4 mice to a large royal when one rat will do.) I order this amount of rodents 2 or 3 times a year for 11 snakes. Furred rodents do keep in good nick for a long time if securely bagged but 6 months is about the limit. If you knew someone who could share delivery though, you'd be fine.

Aww, a Bengal?? I once house-sat for a toyger (Bengal cross). When she was feeling fond of you, she bit you. Stunning, amazing cats!

All the best with setup and snake!

Edited by - n/a on 16/09/2011 10:13:10
Go to Top of Page

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  10:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, I'll look into a decent rodent source then, I don't wanna end up with hundreds! I'm going to move her on to rat soon, I think if I scent it with mouse she'll take it. The rubber tongs sound like a good idea too.
Go to Top of Page

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  14:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I've been to see the female pastel I was offered. He said she is in blue, and usually gets grumpy around that time. She showed me that herself by headbutting me until she was sat in my hands. She was fine after that, and seems like a calm and curious snake. Just HAD to put a deposit on her! She has all feeding and shedding records, as well as a clean bill of health from a vet. The week until I pick her up will be the longest EVER!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  15:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! It will, be total hell waiting lol! She sounds lovely. What are you going to call her?

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  15:17:22  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyDrama

Well I've been to see the female pastel I was offered. He said she is in blue, and usually gets grumpy around that time. She showed me that herself by headbutting me until she was sat in my hands. She was fine after that, and seems like a calm and curious snake. Just HAD to put a deposit on her! She has all feeding and shedding records, as well as a clean bill of health from a vet. The week until I pick her up will be the longest EVER!

YAY! She sounds lovely, glad you've found the right snakey :)

Hope the wait goes quickly :D

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page