New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  01:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke as you are all aware is a lazy lad, always in his hide, there is occasionally signs of life on a morning where he has trashed his vivarium. I attempted a hairdryer on a rat and tease feed but he wasn't interested, i left it overnight but still decided that one was too scary and left it. Since missing a meal he has been a bit more active, tonight he even almost came right out of his hide and spend about 20 minutes watching me right up at the glass, in fact he is still there now. So that gets me wondering, is he lazy or just constantly digesting and lying low and should he be fed less often so allow him some time to do stuff. Thoughts?

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  11:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to BE's guide he should be eating every 10 days, but I know many snakes dictate their own routines. However, with the time of year in mind, I'd be inclined to think he's starting to feel randy. Shame he and Sandi's Flo can't get together lol!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  13:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh yes its that time of year I forgot all about their urges.

He was out last night for about 2 hours, longest I've ever seen him. I'll have to buy a female and lure him out with her.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  15:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - will there be a twist in the tail?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlEzIk9HFEk&feature=related

(Parental guidance needed - cover his viv with a towel before this gives him ideas lol!)

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  15:44:54  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, sorry bob dont mean to but in on your thread but, what time of year (and how long)is breeding season? and do males fast even when no female is present?

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  15:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4906

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1xBOy2WtI

I just can't get used to being able to post links lol!

Yes, the guys fast even in the absence of females. Mind you Shahi was a big lad by last winter, and eating well, till Nov ...when a little girl called Saada arrived ...did he sense an adult royal female in the house? That's when he first started to go off his food. In the snakebyte tv vid BB talks about offering food and the breeding snakes will eat (got to keep their strength up!)

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  19:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Duke may be just stepping into the realm of the fasting randy male snake, 2 refused meals, as I know he is a good size he is getting one more ratty offering on Sunday if he doesn't take it I won't be offering anything for 2 weeks, and every 2 weeks until he starts eating again I'm not wasting food.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  20:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK who swapped Duke when I wasn't watching, he's out again, tapping at the glass tonight. It looks like Duke but its an imposter I'm sure.

As he seems to be acting randy and has refused his past 2 meals I have weighed Duke yesterday (1130 Grams) so I know whats going on with him and I get my head around the potential of this been the start of him fasting, if its not then thats good but if its the beginning of something I'm prepared.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  22:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They dont always fast, this is especially true if you dont lower your temps for winter. I kept my temps the same last winter as none of my females were ready and all 3 of my males continued to eat throughout the winter/cooler months. My male Fire stopped eating in May for 3 months and he was around the 1kg mark.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  23:05:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yea i think his out searching for pretty Lady Royal
And i think what u said about close feeding time is right too, after every meal he should rest, and when he start feeling hungry he have to go huntying, and that's when we see them moven around IMHO.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000