New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nikki0421
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  19:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused as to whether to feed in or out of the viv. I've read that feeding outside can reduce the risk of getting bitten when reaching into the viv and also to reduce the chance of ingesting substrate. But now I've been told that handling after feeding can cause regurgatation so how would I get him back in the viv. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

python23
Yearling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  19:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
always feed outside the viv, picking a snake up for a few seconds to put it back in to the viv after feeding wont cause regurgitation, ive been keeping snakes for nearly 10 years and not one of my snakes has thrown their meal back up. dont worry about feeding outside the viv, theres plenty more pros than cons, infact i cant think of any bad reasons why you wouldnt do it that way, i hope this helps. good luck.

02 Corn (female)
03 Amel corn (male)
03 Amel corn (female)
03 Royal reduced pattern (male)
05 Royal normal (male)
09 Het Pied (male)
10 Royal normal (female)
10 Het Pied (Female)

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  19:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends really,its really upto you.One of mine won't take it in the viv,and will only eat in a rub in the spare room.The other,i take out to handle abit then feed in a rub.

And one freaks out,if not fed in her house.

I like to get mine out for 15/30 mins each on feeding day to handle etc.then i just feed in a rub as there out anyway.

As for handling,moving from rub to viv is cool.its more like long handling that will cause regurgatation.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  19:52:52  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its up to you. i have 4 snake, one will not eat outside the viv that often, and the another that will not eat inside the cage. the other 2 will eat anywhere they are offered. i feed 3 of them in the vivs, just because i find it easier, and i just monitor as i feed them to make sure no substrate is ingested. my boa i feed outside the viv just because its the only place she will eat. i feed her in her old rub, and then once shes done, i carefully lift her up supporting the bump in her body where the food is, and shes fine. the no handling is basically no getting them out for handling sessions, but you can lift them up carefully and support them to put them back in.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  19:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to feed outside the viv, it's a lot more fun :p but there is more risk to being bitten that way, I have a few snakes that when the rat smell hits they'll nail anything that moves!

Now I feed inside because I have too many snakes to get out and feed one at a time.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  20:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a little bit your choice, its mainly upto your snake.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  20:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feed all my snakes out of the viv as i like watching them eat an so they dont see my had as food when i go in the viv. with getting them back in the viv i just lift the feeding box an tilt it into the viv an they do the rest

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

nikki0421
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  21:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again. I had pretty much made up my mind to feed outside anyway but I just wanted a few opinions. I think I'll start handling at the weekend and try him with his first feed then too. Will keep you all updated. Thanks again guys
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  22:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to wait until you have three feeds into the snake before you start handling, its all part of the settling in period/process and for the sake of a few weeks in a 20+ years lifespan its really worth letting them settle.

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  23:09:32  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never fed out of the viv, to put a different slant on it, what would stop the snake thinking when it comes out of the viv it's not food time?

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  12:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by python23

always feed outside the viv, picking a snake up for a few seconds to put it back in to the viv after feeding wont cause regurgitation, ive been keeping snakes for nearly 10 years and not one of my snakes has thrown their meal back up. dont worry about feeding outside the viv, theres plenty more pros than cons, infact i cant think of any bad reasons why you wouldnt do it that way, i hope this helps. good luck.

It differs from snake to snake. I feed mine in the vivarium but take him out prior to feeding so that I can put some kitchen towell down inside. After handling for 15 - 20 minutes I pop him back in and then feed him. He has never, ever missed a meal. Conversely, I once fed him 'from hand' when he was coiled round my arm. He struck, no problem and seemed happy to eat whilst still attached to me.

I think it would be wrong to say definately do or don't do this or that when quite clearly, all snakes are different.

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  12:53:06  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine starts off feeding in his RUB... then decides to smear his rat all over the sofa instead...*shakes head*

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  18:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always fed mine in their vivs/rubs, the only exception was with Little Mo who needed to be assist fed for a few weeks. When i got Hannah who was my 1st Royal i handled her ever day (for about 5 mins) and never had a problem. I`d say chose how you want to feed them and stick to it. I dont believe that Royals count the days and for example know that every sunday is feed day and that if you stick your hand in the viv you`ll get tagged.
The best tip though that i can give is to put the rat somewhere close to the vivs vent and allow it to thaw out and sit there for about 4-5 hours, then feed in the evening.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  19:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

You need to wait until you have three feeds into the snake before you start handling, its all part of the settling in period/process and for the sake of a few weeks in a 20+ years lifespan its really worth letting them settle.

I normally do nothing for the first week,then for the next few weeks.Just move them from viv to rub for feeding.

Then after that,start handling more etc.Another reason i feed outside is,it gives me a chance to clean there water bowls and homes.Without said snake getting in the way.

so like feed day is mass cleaning day :)

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic