Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 Can you handle a fasting/non-eating snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  18:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey all

been told not to handle Cora while she isn't eating but I don't think this is fair

0.1.0 Royal Python - Cora
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Koshi

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  18:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How long have you had her for ?

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 28/09/2011 18:27:24
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  18:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard this too. I wouldn't handle a snake obviously in shed, which is when they can fast, unless it was to quickly check it over.

As for the long fast during mating season ...I really don't know. I have observed this rule of not handling during the fast, but it seems to me that my girls have got shyer. I don't suppose this bothers them; they just do their own thing regardless of relating to humans, but from my human sentimental point of view, seems a shame that we have to break off contact for a few months, when both girls did seem to welcome handling and an excursion out of the viv, though I'm willing to leave off handling during fasting if it benefits the snake ...really don't know ...

Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  20:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had her for 5mths (brother gone to uni) but had her in family since she was 12wks old - she 21mths now.
when do royals sexually mature? - is it by age or weight/length?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  20:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, breeding age and size for a female is, traditionally, at least in her third winter and weighing at least 1500-1800g - a lad can be younger and smaller though not under 600-800g. This is a guideline to protect females from getting eggbound/males from getting ...erm, shagged out lol.

However, my male Shahi, a cf10, went into the mating season fast last winter after I brought home 2 adult females, who also began the fast in the New Year. One of them, cf09 Saada, was only 300g when she arrived in Nov; Surahi is a cb06 dinker who still only weighed just over 1300g. So sexual maturity/breeding weight isn't necessarily indicated by fasting. They all say, like teenagers anywhere, 'I wanna!!'

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  20:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the snake is just fasting and you are 100% sure its purely due to season changes and urges then I dont see much harm coming from a bit of a handling session every now and again. Duke is off food, has been for a month, he normally only get handled once or twice a week at the most and I know for a fact nothing other than the season has changed and he is constantly looking to get out for a wander which in itself is an odd thing for Duke so letting him out isnt going to do him any harm.

Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  21:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got her out now to check on her eye and she's blue!
now doubly confused - if fasting was because of shed why has it been on/off for 9wks?
we moved male carpet in viv above her 9wks ago- could this be a cause?

and sorry to be dumb what's cf? cb is captive bred...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  22:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, that's royals for you - my little girl Saada's been feeding on and off all Summer ...mind you so has Surahi ...royals eh? That's just how they are.

cf stands for captive farmed (or sometimes they all it captive ranched.) In my ignorance I used to think this mean some kind of large scale snake production ...

What it really means is that in Ghana (mainly) but also in Togo and Benin, in west Africa, where the wild royals lay their eggs in burrows, guys earn a living 'harvesting' the royal python eggs. These are incubated and hatched, and the hatchling snakes exported to the UK, USA etc to be sold in the pet trade ...

There are reports that a percentage of hatchlings must be returned to the wild, therefore maintaining the royal population; there are other reports that gravid females are captured before egg arrival and thereafter killed for food; also there is a lot of speculation and even reported royal python 'mafia' concerning discovery of new morphs in wild royals ...I know a fragile economy depends on all this but I think the cf trade is pretty dubious ...to my shame I bought Shahi before I did my homework properly but since he was here, I'm glad he came to me, likewise with Saada who was a year old but needing a home.

Oops sorry for rant but that's what cf is.

Edited by - n/a on 28/09/2011 22:08:40
Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  09:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lilith
Everyday we learn something new :) xx

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  09:46:22  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it depends on the snake itself, when i got the fasting Blitz -if i might say - i told not to handle him until he has 3 successful feed in a row. but u can tell someone who's being waiting long time to get his FIRST snake not to handle him if he didn't eat whole 5 months so in that period i did handle him but once in a week or two. i just couldn't resist him at the end he did surprised me by taking the prey. i think they(the snakes) will eat when they will feel hungry eventually.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  05:49:14  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree completely that it depends on your individual snake, they are all so different that I think what people say can only be taken as a guide and not a rule (in my opinion), for instance I handle george while hes in deep blue and before each meal and he is fine yet my gfs snake wont eat if she is handled too close to feeding time.

I guess if your not handling and he/she is not feeding, then the change of scenery may help.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  17:04:25  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My snake Kaa had a 8 month fast, and I handled him throughout and he's doing amazing now, eating like a pig!
My uncles snake who is now mine, Donkey, had a 9 month fast, and he was being handled throughout then too.. But he's eating gerbils and hamsters fine now..

Handling them may have been the reason it took them so long to get back eating, but they ended up eating in the end and they were both perfectly healthy after.. I think its all down to the individual snake

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message. - Steve Irwin

Normal Royal Python - Kaa
Normal Royal Python - Donkey
Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  18:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sam (name snap!!) love your picture of Kaa on your Banner - when Cora shed i'll take some of her

Also thanks Don for the advice xx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000