New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  21:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK as part of the new viv stack I have been testing the new ceramic heating and a big concern is how hot they actually can get (very), I know the stat will have it reigned in most of the time but I would always plan for the highest it could potentially run at. Anyway waffle aside I have prorep guards already and was planning on stripping them out of the old vivs and reusing them but I am concerned that they may be a bit small. It only has 1cm clearance around the edges and 1.5cm clearance at the bottom.
(Its a 150 Watt Komodo ceramic)

Test images.

So guys and gals (not the snail type the lady type) I throw the question out there, do I buy bigger guards or will these do there job sufficiently? All opinions greatly received.

Edited by - Lotabob on 11/10/2011 21:13:07

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  21:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do they even do bigger
I know there's longer ones

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  21:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't even checked, I love my prorep ones they are solid little beasts and the plastic coating keeps them remarkably cool to touch. My thinking is it may be very warm if your 1cm away from the heater but its not the instant burn of actually touching it so the snake will realise its belly is sizzling before it actually cooks. Maybe I can wire it badly and electrify the guard, that will stop them burning themself.

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  21:33:51  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now hat sounds like a plan lol

As you say they will notice god this is a bit hot
And move

Also after getting to temp the ceramic won't be fully on I'm guessing just maintaining the required temp
And won't make the guard really hot

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  21:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptilelighting/lightfittings/5028188067849

These are the biggest I've seen, and a decent price too, but watch out for the cable entry hole at the top as imo a smallish snake could squeeze in.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  21:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are a decent price but they just dont look sturdy like the pro rep ones, I acidentally stood/tripped on one I'd left on the floor one night and near broke my foot off but the guard didnt even have a dent.

I'm thinking I will be OK to stick with the guards I have, I have ran that mocked setup upside down as in the picture for 30 minutes and just gone touched the guard, its hot but I survived without getting burnt. When its mounted upside down (the right way up??? who knows) and thermostatically controlled it won't get as hot as its just been.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  21:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use pro rep guards in my vivs. they differ to yours as mine have smaller holes and maybe slightly wider mesh, but mine do seem longer than yours. i use 150w and 250w bulbs in my guards with no probs. i don't buy mine off line i get them from a couple of shops ( more expensive than on line but i know they fit the bulbs i use so i don't mind)

i don't think i have any pics of the guards i use but if i remember to bring my tape home from work ( got some measuring to do round the house) i will take the measurements of the guard and clearence around the bulb

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  23:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only way around it is getting a larger cage,To make the sides and bottom of cage just warm.It needs 2/3 inches clearance etc.

And that pro rep one is designed for light bulbs/spot bulbs.You just got to go with what your viv can fit.

Some of the ceramic cages are HUGE and wouldnt really fit inside most vivs to well.If you wanted to make said cage cool,even with the bulb on.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  11:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a similar arrangement, and it has not caused any issues. Yes the ceramic will get a lot hotter but the guard doesnt seem to get hot enough to burn

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  14:54:24  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Could you maybe get a smaller bulb?
Yes the guard may not be getting hot, but if the snake is too big to fit through those holes in the guard, chances are it's tongue is longer than 1cm... Could easily be curious about what it is, stick it's tongue out and burn it's tongue, or even worse it's tongue sticks to the bulb...
Just a thought.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000