Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  22:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got home from work today and checked on Tia as she's in shed and wanted to see how she was getting on. Got her out of her rub and she started pushing really hard on my hands, phone anything she could finwd. So I got out one of her hides out which is quite rough and she started breaking the skin and pulling it back. Was so amazing to watch! Such a shame I didn't have a camera at hand :(

Edited by - jameshouse92 on 12/10/2011 22:23:27

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  22:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - you were privileged - some people have scarcely ever seen their royals shed. Congrats and well done Tia!

Go to Top of Page

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  22:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel privileged! So happy! Just had another look at her.... it's all off now except her tail... any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  23:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - put her in a damp pillowcase, tie the top securely and place in a ventilated rub or any convenient container, supervised, for 20 mins or so in a warm room. She'll squirm about and the damp and friction works a treat. If the skin doesn't come off by itself you can hold her in the pillowcase and let her crawl through your hands in the damp material and the skin should roll off. The tip of her tail, even when properly shed, will still feel like a little sharp bony point and you should be able to see the shed tailtip at the end of the discarded skin when it's off.

Tailtips and eyecaps are the most important bits of the shed - if you can see those are off, that's half the battle. One of my corns ALWAYS keeps on the very end of her tail, naughty girl! Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  09:32:45  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is there any chance the snake will suffocate in the tied damp pillocase ?
does anyone have a pic of a pillowcase, in case i'm thinking wrong ?

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

DannyDrama
Hatchling

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  12:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol no special pillowcase is needed, and the snake won't suffocate. Just grab one you don't mind getting a bit dirty just in case the beast decides to poo at the same time haha.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  12:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Tawfik, you know how I love to post pics!

Here's my ghost corn, Spooky, demonstrating:-

One pillowcase, one snake, one rub ...

Spooky goes into the pillowcase (which should be damp - here we're just doing a dry run.)

The pillowcase is tied at the top and put in the rub - the snake can breathe fine through the damp material. The knot should be secure so that the snake has to keep squirming about in the damp material. Close the rub lid but stay with the snake just to be on the safe side.

And after 20 minutes ...

All done and dusted!

If the shed is still stuck, just repeat. But you probably won't have to. And keep the snake in a warm room.

We had a freak heatwave a couple of weeks back, and a couple of my snakes that I don't normally have to bother with extra humidity for had bad sheds - I'm assuming because the heat played havoc with the vivs' humidity, and for the first time I had to use this technique, and it really worked well. Surahi shed recently and had a small patch on her head left and so I used the pillowcase with her as well. She needed two goes, but again it worked well.

Hey, James, did her tailtip come off ok?

Edited by - n/a on 13/10/2011 12:29:41
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  14:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Danny - just noticed we overlapped!

Go to Top of Page

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  17:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, just got it off. Couldn't find a spare pillow case so used a damp towel and rolled backwards on her tail. She didn't squirm or try o get away. I love how well behaved she is :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  17:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! That's great - well done and Tia too - I know they're supposed to be 'wild animals' but it's incredible how they trust us if they need help from us.

Go to Top of Page

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  18:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know! She made me laugh today when I fed her. She struck for it properly this time.. but as I dropped it lol. Best volley I've ever seen! Tried eating it bum first then decided not to. Thought she was gunna refuse to eat it. So I wiggled the mouse a little bit. And bam! Struck again. Ate it properly this time :). Moved her mouse up a size today:)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  18:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clever girl! Sounds like she's really settled in well with you ... sounds like next thing she'll be nomming the ratties lol.

Go to Top of Page

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  18:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I'm so surprised how quick she settled in. Was preparing myself for a stressed non feeding snake for a good 2 weeks lol. Yeah I want to move her onto rats asap. Not sure what sorta size she needs to be though or how big the rats are. I know the large ones are huge and disgusting lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  19:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the biggest mouse is approximately as big as a small weaner rat at 45g approx, so you can imagine ...Blackecho on here advises feeding 10/15% of the snake's bodyweight; another good guide is a rodent no larger than the snake's girth.

My male has just started on medium rats (yeah a bit alarming but he took it like a man!) and I have an 06 female dinker of 1460g who I bought a year ago and who was feeding on mice ...fiddly as you can imagine! I've now got her on to rats, thank goodness, but would have been much easier if she'd started on them from a young age - good idea to tempt Tia as soon as possible - not that it sounds like she'll need much tempting - she sounds like a smashing little royal!

Edited by - n/a on 13/10/2011 19:03:35
Go to Top of Page

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  19:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeahh I'm feeding her on 10% of her weight. She's only just over 100g so she's got a little while yet. Will probably see if I can move her onto small mice after her next shed. What's a dinker? And yeah she's amazing :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  19:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is a dinker lol. It's basically a royal from apparently normal parents which doesn't look erm ...normal. Surahi looks like a dark lesser or maybe a sort of mojave, but she's not guaranteed to produce offspring like herself. However some morphs - ie spiders and albinos for example, I believe, were actually discovered as dinkers among cf hatchlings in Africa and bred to produce the true breeding morphs of today. Some dinkers have very high white patterns or reduced patterns ...fascinating.

I wasn't really looking for a dinker either. I just got hooked on the name 'Surahi' and thought maybe another royal was arriving ...looked in preloved and there she was, a couple of miles away. Went to see her and despite her mouse addiction we fell for each other. She wound straight around my neck ...love at first coil!

Edited by - n/a on 13/10/2011 19:57:14
Go to Top of Page

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  20:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh cool. She doesn't look much different from Tia. Will post pictures as soon as I get internet back. Not sure if I can do it on my phone :(
Go to Top of Page

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  20:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Www.Facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150852893380512&l=0031825f36
Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  10:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, in 11 years of having a Royal, we haven't seen any of ours shed! I'm jealous!

Go to Top of Page

jameshouse92
Yearling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  12:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really! That's insane. I'll see how she acts next time. But make sure I have a camera at the ready!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameshouse92

Www.Facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150852893380512&l=0031825f36

Hi, don't do facebook so can't access link but look forward to pics of Tia on here if poss lol.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000