New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  23:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so im in the early stage of making another viv stack. Well im just getting on with the drawings at the momment lol..So i have a few questions to ask the experts...

1. What would be the best material to use?

2. It will be a 4 stack viv. I have 1 royal, 1 king and 2 corns. So what would be the ideal height size of individual vivs?

3. Now this is the tricky one..I want it placed in the conservatory, which has NO heating, but will be in direct sunlight in the summer and cold in the winter. Would this have a bad affect on the snakes?

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  08:25:40  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck making your viv i'm sure someone will help u soon.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  11:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooeeerrr!!!! You'll have a nightmare controlling the temps, especially in the summer and they'll roast through the glass I would have thought. I wouldn't fancy the winter chances either. Maybe you could have some sort of controlled heating at both ends of the viv for the winter.

I've just moved Oscar's viv. He was in my kitchen but got the morning sun directly through the kitchen glass door and into the viv. Even that was too much for him as his cool end was no longer cool.

I'm sure the experts (of which I'm not one, lol) will be along soon.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.

Edited by - Lorraine on 20/10/2011 11:47:37
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  12:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see why any issues that arise due to location cant be overcome, the heating in the viv will see to keeping the temps up in winter and I don't see it been a draft old glass box attached to your house, conservatories are a bit cooler than the rest of the house but a good space heater in there will help. Direct sunlight might be a pain but some sort of roller blind on the windows would soon sort that, in summer windows can be opened to stop it getting too hot and lets not forget where Royals come from, in their natural habitat I bet it gets warmer than a conservatory in the summer.

As for building a viv, I've just done one/still doing one, I used 18mm MDF and it was relatively easy to work with, the only problem I had was B&Q's inability to cut a straight line with a straight line saw. Oh and pilot holes, are a must, the MDF splits if pilot holes aren't drilled, I used 3.5X50mm wood screws and a 3mm pilot hole 52mm deep. If you are painting the viv then allow about 3 times more paint than you think it would take as the absorbsion rate of MDF is mental, its thirsty stuff, mine drank three coats of primer and barely turned white. and then the final bit is the glass, dont fit the runners until you have the glass as it will need ajusting for tracking so the glass moves smoothly.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  12:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not an expert either but I too think a conservatory won't have sufficient insulation to guard against extremes of temperature.

I saw the stack you made over on the DIY section - looks great. My carpentry skills are rough and ready so I chose flatpack for my vivs and thought these were pretty good value, saved a lot of time, and they stack well, but I would still love to be able to build the ultimate viv ...some people on here have done just that - they'll be able to give you some tips. Good luck with your project.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  14:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops Bob just noticed we overlapped ...I keep doing this to people ...

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  19:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the temps you could always install a fan system (lucky reptile)to keep it cool and there are some small fan heaters you can get for the car only problem is they are twelve volt so you'd need a transformer I'm guessing an LED one would work, and for the MDF you'd be better getting a specific MDF sealer cheaper than a tin of primer and you should need less although for the best finish, primer should be used between the sealing coat and the final one

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  23:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of staying away from MDF, cant stand the stuff tbh lol.
Sounds like i might have to re-think the location as well, to many variable`s to mess up.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2011 :  00:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I'm not an expert either but I too think a conservatory won't have sufficient insulation to guard against extremes of temperature.

I saw the stack you made over on the DIY section - looks great. My carpentry skills are rough and ready so I chose flatpack for my vivs and thought these were pretty good value, saved a lot of time, and they stack well, but I would still love to be able to build the ultimate viv ...some people on here have done just that - they'll be able to give you some tips. Good luck with your project.

Don't no about snakes,but i used to to keep my birds in the conservatory.Was a pain in the ass,and non stop battle with heat/cold even had to buy an air con thing to keep humidity down/up etc.oh and fans etc in the summer.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 21/10/2011 00:41:20
Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  17:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkSue

Ok, so im in the early stage of making another viv stack. Well im just getting on with the drawings at the momment lol..So i have a few questions to ask the experts...

1. What would be the best material to use?

2. It will be a 4 stack viv. I have 1 royal, 1 king and 2 corns. So what would be the ideal height size of individual vivs?

3. Now this is the tricky one..I want it placed in the conservatory, which has NO heating, but will be in direct sunlight in the summer and cold in the winter. Would this have a bad affect on the snakes?

Heylo matey, whenever i've built a new set i've always gone for furniture board / coated chipboard (melamine) as its got plenty of natural colours, has a waterproof coat and is easily cut and drilled to the sizes you need ; in fact, most suppliers (b&q / homebase, etc) will have a cutting service for free - just make sure you're explicit about the dimensions

To answer your 2nd query i'd personally go for a standard size really ; corns seem to prefer climbing but most snakes will take advantage of the opportunity if it is there (even burms!)

To end, i'd really have to advise you against using the conservatory as a place for a viv ; if (god forbid) you experienced a power-cut or a bitter winter then despite your best efforts you'd have some seriously ill (or worse) snakes on your hands. My house is old and poorly insulated as the landlord is a tight-fisted wotsit so when the cold weather comes I dread it - they have the warmest room in the house but even so i'll be having the central heating full-blast and turn up the stats to compensate for the overall coldness of the house.

Maybe you could turn the stack into a feature for the living room or something similar? With a couple of little extras it could be a nice centre-piece of furniture. I built one for a friend of mine years ago which comprised 3 small vivs, a cupboard for his equipment at the bottom and little side-shelves at each side of the vivs for ornaments, etc.

In fact one idea that might give you an easier time is to check out somewhere like Argos and modify one of their book/dvd shelving units - all the major cutting and drilling will already be done and you'll only need to make minor adjustments to them to suit what you want.

Hope this helps you out matey

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  17:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well iv had a change of plan over the last few days and the snakes will NOT be going in the concervatory. Iv managed to source 2 chests of draws to convert. One will be for the snakes and the other is for my boys beardie. If the weather is rubbish this weekend i`ll make a start on them, if not then it will be next weekend. The snakes will be going in the hall, at the momment they are in the lounge and wifey is getting a bit fed up with them there....
Pictures to follow :) and thanks for all the advice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  18:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkSue

Well iv had a change of plan over the last few days and the snakes will NOT be going in the concervatory. Iv managed to source 2 chests of draws to convert. One will be for the snakes and the other is for my boys beardie. If the weather is rubbish this weekend i`ll make a start on them, if not then it will be next weekend. The snakes will be going in the hall, at the momment they are in the lounge and wifey is getting a bit fed up with them there....
Pictures to follow :) and thanks for all the advice.

But EVERY house should have a few snakes in the lounge!

I mean bugger the sofa and the telly, the front room needs a viv stack first and foremost (lol! not many people would agree with me I know ...)

I have a downstairs viv stack in the front room and another viv stack in the bedroom. Poor Buffy's out on a limb on top of the spare room desk, but could abolish that now I have a laptop, and get another viv stack in there ...or convert the huge wooden desk, he he!

You're giving me ideas, dammit! Good luck with the new project, can't wait to see pics!

Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  18:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made a start on it today, but the unit will only do 3 vivs :( so Murphy will have to stay in his original viv.
I`ll post some pics later.

Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  22:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is what i started with. Just a basic chest of draws.

Removed draws and runners.

Next up was a load of meassuring and cutting and leveling. And this is where i got to before end of play today.

Still to do....Get some ply cut for the base of each viv. Fill any gaps and cut holes for vents. Fit glass runners and get saftey glass cut. Backing paper and linning paper for the base of each viv and then fit electrics and see what it looks like. Then on to the husbandry.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  22:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  23:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really good already ...ohh dear, definitely getting ideas from this thread lol!

Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  18:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iv just had a quote from my local glazer`s, £122 for 6 small bits of safty glass ...is that about right or are they trying to rip me off? The size is 800mm x 227mm for each viv.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  19:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
£55 for 9 pieces is what I just paid.

Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  19:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

£55 for 9 pieces is what I just paid.

was that for toughened safty glass? iv just found a place on the web that can do clear plexiglass for £57, all cut to size and delivery. I think i`ll go with that

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  00:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is 6mm toughened glass with polished edges. You should just get on the yellow pages and ring around, sound like you know what your talking about and things tend to be cheaper.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000