New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

will555driver
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  18:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So our new royal seems to have fully shed. I havent get her out to have a proper look as im trying not to handle her for a further few days. Woke up today and found a one piece snake suit! She was in her moss hide for about two days solid before today. Didnt know if this was good for her with it being the most damp/humid part of her home. I know it helps her shed so is a good thing but could she get a resp problem spending so much time in there? Seems to have done the trick though. She is due a feed today as she was fed last sunday but I was wondering as she has been here only a few days would it be better to leave it a few more days or give it a go now? She has ventured out of the moss hide but doesnt really look like she is cruising around for a meal. Is there any feeding technique in particular that would be a good idea? I was just gunna defrost her tea at room temp for a few hours on a bit of kitchen roll and serve it to her like that. (tea ontop of kitchen roll in her faunarium.) Any thoughts?

Oh and am I okay to handle her so I can check if she has fully shed? She has been here four nights now and hasnt been handled at all for the best part of three days.

I promise to try and make these posts shorter!

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  18:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can put a damp hide in while they shed but its advisable to only have it in during this time just as a precaution against scale rot and RI's. It would take a long time for a moss/damp hide to cause problems though so its fine for during shedding.

Handling is fine providing the settling in period (3 feeds) is over and should the snake want leaving alone they will let you know with a very loud hiss.

I give it 48 hours after a shed with Duke to attempt feeding but Duke is a shy snake. You can attempt a feed, you will know for future sheds what you can and cant do, its all part of getting to know your snake.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  19:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the shed - as long as you can find the eyecaps and tailtip on the shed skin - and if it's all in one piece they ought to be there, it will be fine. Doesn't sound like there's going to be any stuck shed to worry about, but it's the specs and tail that are the important bits.

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  19:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like bob said offer and you will get to know if he will take it straight after shed

Some of mine to like the pinstripe
And some don't like the lesser

It's all about getting to know your snakey ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

will555driver
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  18:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay decided to give it a go. Got a medium sized mouse in her fuanarium at the moment. Almost immediately she poked her head out from her hiding spot and started frantically flicking her tongue about. Quite encouraged by that. Has tucked herself away again now. I am trying to leave her to it so she doesnt get disturbed. If she hasnt taken her meal by the time I go off to bed is it a good idea to leave the mouse in overnight? Ideally I want to see her feed but as long as she does thats the main thing.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  18:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might as well - some snakes do feed overnight. Good luck, hope she takes!

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  08:50:03  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If this didn't work, try to catch the mouse with a tongs and move it little bit infront of her. mabe she is a striker

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  10:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe a striker. Get some herp tongs (you'll need them if she is a striker) and hold the mouse in front of her head first.
As for handling, I've probably done everything NOT by the book lol, but had no problems. I handled Oscar from the day I brought him home and he fed from the day I brought him home too. As soon as he's shed, I give him a quick cuddle and feed him the same night.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

will555driver
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  20:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great success! Before going to bed I gave the mouse a bit of hairdryer treatment which obviously did the job. Was gunna just check her in the morning but after just ten minutes I couldnt resist a quick peep. Sure enough there she was sat on the kitchen roll dinner plate with her head ontop of her hide almost looking out of her home for the next meal! I half expected her not to eat bearing in mind it was her fourth night here and she had just fully shed! Really wanted to see her feed but as long as she eats I dont mind. Maybe she will let me watch next time. A sign of things to come......... fingers crossed!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  21:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! It's a great feeling when they feed the first time for you.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  14:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great. Glad she's eaten for you.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic