learned from my corn snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  23:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, i have not long had a royal which would not eat, then when he was shedding i was feeding my corn snake next to his tank with the royal watching. i gave him a go next and he for the first time he striked .. hard .. i am having problems still with his eye caps when he sheds tho.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  23:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HIGH humidity will help the shedding process but eyecap removal although its fiddly isn't too tricky the hardest part is holding a snake still. DO you increase the humidity from the snake going blue to shedding?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  23:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Bob says - I had no trouble after doing this - until the recent heatwave when even with the extra in-viv humidity, two of mine had scruffy sheds.

On both occasions I put the snake in a damp pillowcase, tied at the top, in a ventilated lidded rub, left for 20 minutes supervised, and the damp and friction of the snake squirming through the material did the trick. My gopher had retained her eyecaps but they came off with no trouble.

Hope this helps.

ps - congrats on the strike - good psychology!

Edited by - n/a on 25/10/2011 23:15:00
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  23:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above,theres a sticky on eye cap and shed problems some place.

Look on the health bit top of page.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  23:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humidity gets to about 70% its was just his head that did not shed. So i got damp warm cloth and kept wiping it over his head. he was not to happy but it had to come off, im new to all this but i am learning. where any good shops around north London ??

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  00:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to be careful wiping at their head, they are head shy at the best of times, this would be very stressful for them and could end up with a snake that wont eat again or one with its teeth in your hand depending on its temprement. The pillowcase trick is better because there isn't so much restriant involved but the wriggling does the same job but been confined and dark it actually keeps them calm. Do you have some things in the vivarium for your snake to rub on, they start their shed by rubbing their noses on stuff.

To raise humidity I would place a damp facecloth over the warm side hide and that does the trick, you can also use moss or move the water bowl over to the hot side.

I know you said your snake ate but don't worry at this time of year if it stops feeding, its the fasting season for them, my snake hasn't eaten regularly since the end of August, there is nothing wrong its just what they do.

Go to Top of Page

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  13:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a plastic box with damp moss in it so it can go in there, wich it did do and that helped alot . he just seems to want to eat all the time, soon has i have food out he goes mad. not sure how much to feed him, now he eats i would love for him to eat all the time but i know to much food would be bad. I know he don't like mice he will only eat rat pups which array better any way. i will put some pictures up soon, just don't think i can do it from my phone .

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  13:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to get in there before BATS (sorry) and say her favourite quote. 'You feed your snake 10-15% of its body weight, there is some other part about 5 days for snakes under 500 Grams, 7 days for upto a kg and 10 days for the fatties that are over 1kg. I think, i hope I got it right after stealing thunder.

Go to Top of Page

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  14:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, i just need to get some scales now. how much can you get them out the tank, he seems to like being picked up and when i walk in the room he will come out his hide and up to the glass and watch me walk around

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  14:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee1982

Thanks for that, i just need to get some scales now. how much can you get them out the tank, he seems to like being picked up and when i walk in the room he will come out his hide and up to the glass and watch me walk around

Hey :) How old is he?scales are a worth while investment,Plus if he's older and of good weight.He might need bigger prey items less offen,that should make him hungry less.

As for his shedding problems,As others have stated try not to rub his head,or forcibly remove shed.Once you get this shed sorted,just up the Humidity by spraying when he comes into blue,you shouldn't need a plastic box with damp moss etc then.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  15:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I'm going to get in there before BATS (sorry) and say her favourite quote. 'You feed your snake 10-15% of its body weight, there is some other part about 5 days for snakes under 500 Grams, 7 days for upto a kg and 10 days for the fatties that are over 1kg. I think, i hope I got it right after stealing thunder.

LOL - not my thunder, Blackecho's ...

Go to Top of Page

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  18:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what the shop have said he is about 4/5 months.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000