Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

missycupcake
Yearling

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  11:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
umm so i have a lovely male royal python and have held him a little but yesterday he struck at me and im now a bit weary of handeling him , any tips guys

cb10 royal female

cb08 royal male

Edited by - missycupcake on 31/10/2011 23:20:19

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  12:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When they are new and nervous they can take a dab at you ...let him settle in - I personally don't handle, apart from anything essential, like checking shed, until the snake's had three feeds, and he'll be fine.

I have a snake, Ziska the gopher, that does bite, as in the wild she would mimick a rattlesnake for defence. Every time I go in, even though she's banging on the glass demanding armchair walkies, I know she'll strike as I pick her up. But even if I feel her teeth, it's like velcro. The only time she drew blood - a drop! - was on a feeding day when I thoughtlessly moved her driftwood without checking on her first ...she thought my hand was a rat.

There are very few nippy royals. The worst bite I had was from Shahi and that, like the one from Ziska, was a feeding response bite ...don't handle on feeding day as the royal's heat pits will sense your warm and pulsing hand, and always present the prey on tongs. Could your lad have mistook your hand for his rat?

But a nervous royal may often 'ball up' and look as if it will bite ...if you go in and pick it up, it mostly won't. I think your lad, unless it was the food issue, was probably new and nervous, but if he had bitten you, it would have probably hurt less than if your kitten gave you a friendly nibble.

I really really wouldn't worry - you're both new to each other and I think you'll settle down together and be fine.

Go to Top of Page

missycupcake
Yearling

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  12:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats great thank you iv been so worried i almost gave him to my friend iv decided not to handel hm unless i need to and im buying a baby corn snake as im used to handeling those and there better eaters , then prince can stay with me and be happy being left alone lol

he didnt eat the rat so i had to throw it out it was stinkng a bit i will try in a week x

cb10 royal female

cb08 royal male
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  12:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with BATS it's usually a food issue with royals although you will get the odd one like my "lovely" new addition who take great umbridge at being picked up and decide to try and eat you best thing you can do if that happens is let it, yes it will hurt a little and there will probably be blood but they tend to let go as quick as they bite, and hopefully sooner rather than later it'll learn that your not going away and you don't want to harm or eat it, and you'll get along great

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  12:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heavens - don't give him away! He'll be fine with you. And as for baby corns, my Shiloh, last time she was in blue, struck and bit me twice ...it was totally comical and had me in giggles.

A snake bite can be nasty on occasion of course, but mostly it's nothing and more often they really do think your hand is food, like Reptilemadd's Ariadne, bless her. The time that Shahi bit me, he knew his rat was about, and when I picked him up to feed him, his heat pits on his face (by which a python senses prey) simply mistook me for the rat. No malice or viciousness there at all ...thought he was being a good lad and getting on with his grub. Now I always use tongs and never touch him at all on feeding day.

The following video (not of a royal but still a python) illustrates very well what happens during a feeding response bite, and it's also obvious that what happened, a bit gory but also very funny, could have been avoided ...says she, who did much the same thing before the penny dropped lol ...

It's a good video - I don't think it will put you off.

ps I use kitchen/barbie tongs from Wilkinsons, two quid. The rep supply people charge the earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjZ69by5i2I&feature=related

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  12:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you're still interesting about handling I have a video all about it on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/kelfezond
enjoy! Goodluck

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

missycupcake
Yearling

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  13:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great video cant belve how long it hung on for though i think id freak out :/ haha
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Heavens - don't give him away! He'll be fine with you. And as for baby corns, my Shiloh, last time she was in blue, struck and bit me twice ...it was totally comical and had me in giggles.

A snake bite can be nasty on occasion of course, but mostly it's nothing and more often they really do think your hand is food, like Reptilemadd's Ariadne, bless her. The time that Shahi bit me, he knew his rat was about, and when I picked him up to feed him, his heat pits on his face (by which a python senses prey) simply mistook me for the rat. No malice or viciousness there at all ...thought he was being a good lad and getting on with his grub. Now I always use tongs and never touch him at all on feeding day.

The following video (not of a royal but still a python) illustrates very well what happens during a feeding response bite, and it's also obvious that what happened, a bit gory but also very funny, could have been avoided ...says she, who did much the same thing before the penny dropped lol ...

It's a good video - I don't think it will put you off.

ps I use kitchen/barbie tongs from Wilkinsons, two quid. The rep supply people charge the earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjZ69by5i2I&feature=related

cb10 royal female

cb08 royal male
Go to Top of Page

missycupcake
Yearling

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  13:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live near wilkos so shall nvest in some tongs haha :)

cb10 royal female

cb08 royal male
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  13:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's just nervous and in new surroundings and right now everything is a threat to him. He first needs time to settle into the surroundings realise that its safe, then he needs time to learn that you aren't about to eat him and that he has no need to defend himself against you.

I think you need to just take a deep breath and slow down a bit, sort out the snake you have with a home thats safe and running properly before thinking about another snake, there is a lot to learn about snakes before you jump in with both feet too, see how you get on with the one you already have, if you are scared of this snake then its likely that you'll be scared of them all, corn snakes grow to anywhere from 4 feet to 6 feet long so in length terms they are likely to be longer than a Royal, then they are quicker and smell a lot worse, poop a few times a week rather than once every few months (as Royals do). I encourage people into the hobby and lifestyle of keeping snakes but to do their research first and start slowly, its better to have 1 snake that needs rehoming than a whole pile of them, there are enough unwanted snakes out there already.

Royals are one of the calmest and gentle snakes around, very easy to look after once you understand them and know what to expect from a snake, its not going to act like a 'regular' pet animal, they aren't domesticated or tame, they will tolerate us at best but in all likelihood wont be fans of been picked up and fussed. It takes time and patience to help build that tolerance with regular handling and read the body language of the snake but before all that can happen it needs to be given time to settle into its environment.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  14:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's just nervous,Once you get all his new viv setup.Leave him for a week without any handling.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  14:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed the vid - yes, that coil response is another thing ...they do that to subdue their prey, and if it moves they coil harder, as they think they haven't killed it yet ...you have to keep absolutely still and they will unwind. When it happened to me I was literally manacled; Shahi was holding on to my right finger and coiled hard round my left hand; I had to keep as still as possible and get into the bathroom and run cold water on his face ...poor guy! He was totally confused - thought he was being a good boy for feeding ...he got cuddles once he'd eaten and had time to digest and was his usual soppy self.

What I really don't understand in that video is how the guy can go back and present the mouse with his fingers AGAIN!!??LOL!

Go to Top of Page

missycupcake
Yearling

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  14:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
omg lol i know i was like are you stupid man !!! deffo sticking with tongs :)
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Glad you enjoyed the vid - yes, that coil response is another thing ...they do that to subdue their prey, and if it moves they coil harder, as they think they haven't killed it yet ...you have to keep absolutely still and they will unwind. When it happened to me I was literally manacled; Shahi was holding on to my right finger and coiled hard round my left hand; I had to keep as still as possible and get into the bathroom and run cold water on his face ...poor guy! He was totally confused - thought he was being a good boy for feeding ...he got cuddles once he'd eaten and had time to digest and was his usual soppy self.

What I really don't understand in that video is how the guy can go back and present the mouse with his fingers AGAIN!!??LOL!

cb10 royal female

cb08 royal male
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  15:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God I love green tree pythons but not a chance would I ever offer food in my hand, they have some pretty meaty teeth and more than that I'd be scared of my reaction to it and if I pulled back I could hurt the snake, I've had my Boa strike at me a few times and you just cant help but pull your hand away so how he didn't react I'll never know (probably off his tree drunk, lol).

You hear a lot of stories about 'my Boa/Python tried to strangle me' and its where someone has slung a big snake over their shoulders and not supported the rest of its body so it grips on, its barely even squeezing in snake terms just holding on, the best thing they could do is either support the snake or just lie on the ground let the ground support them but they grab at the snake trying to pull it off and surprise surprise it grips harder.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  15:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob
You hear a lot of stories about 'my Boa/Python tried to strangle me' and its where someone has slung a big snake over their shoulders and not supported the rest of its body so it grips on, its barely even squeezing in snake terms just holding on, the best thing they could do is either support the snake or just lie on the ground let the ground support them but they grab at the snake trying to pull it off and surprise surprise it grips harder.

I believed this once as well before I got a boa, but now I can tell you it's not true, what actually happens is when a boa is born the devil comes up and imbues them with an evil spirit which enjoys strangling humans, sure they look cute, they play the part of the loving pet until they're right where they want to be then wraaagh! Mega cuddles of death! Don't let 'science' fool you that's the truuth.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep, check that out guys, I'm awesome ^^ It's official! lol

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A regular prince charming.

Edited by - Lotabob on 30/10/2011 22:06:08
Go to Top of Page

venommum2011
Yearling

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I know how you feel, I'm a very new snake owner too and not so long ago I was scared senseless of them but recently overcame my fear and then decided I wanted one, my boyfriend got one first, Casper, he was to live at my boyfriends whilst I gained confidence etc etc, anyway within weeks this wasnt good enough, we live about an hour away from each other and I wanted a snake in my house and felt ready to own one so through advice from friends I got a cornsnake over a python, got told that pythons are finiky eaters ect, harder to keep so yeah I went and purchased a miami female corn, she HATED me, dont know why but if I went to handle her she'd strike me with meaning lool, my local reptile shop allowed me to swap her for a male normal hex corn, but my confidence had been thrown quite a lot, I have to handle my corn with a glove at first, I get him out with the glove then when I'm feeling more confident I take the glove off, I also now own a python (royal) and she is my babe, I can handle her at all times without gloves, trust her 99%, she's so docile. Please don't give up with your little guy and please do not NOT handle him at all and leave him to it as this won't do him any favors either. Good luck

mum to:

5 corns, Blitz, Scooby and Arney, Casper and Kat
4 Royal Pythons Merlin (aka Destiny but has sex change)Crystal, Mims and Marvin.
2 King Snakes called Princess Nipper and Prince.
1 Dwarf Boa called Willow
1 Hognose called Catapiller.
Taz our Bearded Dragon.
Three dogs, Smurfe, JRT x Staff, Buster a Staff and Milly our Yellow Lab.
One cat called Banoffee.
Four human babies, Joanna 6 yrs old and Harleigh 3 yrs old, Charlie 12yrs and Jacob 17yrs.
[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

missycupcake
Yearling

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aww thats sweet hun not giving up far form it got an expert coming to help me with a new rub and set up and handeled him tongiht he was fine very docile i thnk yesterday he was nervouse form the move bless him , hes a lovely boy and i think well have a long happy life together , im sure ill get btten but thats part of having any animal lol
quote:
Originally posted by venommum2011

Hi

I know how you feel, I'm a very new snake owner too and not so long ago I was scared senseless of them but recently overcame my fear and then decided I wanted one, my boyfriend got one first, Casper, he was to live at my boyfriends whilst I gained confidence etc etc, anyway within weeks this wasnt good enough, we live about an hour away from each other and I wanted a snake in my house and felt ready to own one so through advice from friends I got a cornsnake over a python, got told that pythons are finiky eaters ect, harder to keep so yeah I went and purchased a miami female corn, she HATED me, dont know why but if I went to handle her she'd strike me with meaning lool, my local reptile shop allowed me to swap her for a male normal hex corn, but my confidence had been thrown quite a lot, I have to handle my corn with a glove at first, I get him out with the glove then when I'm feeling more confident I take the glove off, I also now own a python (royal) and she is my babe, I can handle her at all times without gloves, trust her 99%, she's so docile. Please don't give up with your little guy and please do not NOT handle him at all and leave him to it as this won't do him any favors either. Good luck

cb10 royal female

cb08 royal male
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelf is giving you a rub. He is a good guy.

Go to Top of Page

missycupcake
Yearling

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well selling but cheap :) he really is and only a few miles form me too , im goign to hold his huge boa one day hes promised , will post a pic to prove i managed it unless i wimp out haha
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Kelf is giving you a rub. He is a good guy.

cb10 royal female

cb08 royal male
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:45:16  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lotabob!!! Don't be rude!

edit: but seriously, I have like 10 spare ones from the boas lol!

Edited by - Kelfezond on 30/10/2011 22:47:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000