New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  12:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guy's just a quick bit of advise I thought just putting her dish closer to the Ariadnes heat source would be enough for her to shed fine how bloomin wrong was I, anyway she seems to have shed her eye caps and tail tip ok, but half her head starting just behind her eye and various places on her body are still stuck.

Her viv looked like that scene in bladerunner when harrison ford finds the dead woman in the bath coverd in individual scales lol.

Anyway the pet shop has sold out of shed ease/aid and I know that water alone won't be enough, so would it do her any harm if I put some baby oil in the bath with her to act as a moisturiser???

And lastly whats the best mthod of removing the shed from her head because like most snakes as soon as I go near it she pulls backwards which is the wrong way if I want to remove the shed without possibly injuring her..

Edit : One last thing I haven't got a normal thermometer (the one with the bulb thingy at the end) so is there any little tricks for guessing the right temp for the water???????

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

Edited by - reptilemadd on 05/11/2011 12:52:26

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  13:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try putting her in a damp pillow case an supervise for 20-30 mins as they move about the friction will help.
the way ive removed shed form the head is after a bath to hold the snake behind the head so they cant pull away and with a wet cotton bud very gently work the edge loose. when i did this with my royal i just worked some of it loose from his bottom jaw so 1cm or so was loose then let him do the rest when i put him back.

cold you use the thermomitor from the viv/rub/faum

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  13:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try popping her in a damp pillow case inside the viv for half an hour might help loosen the skin as she moves around, don't put under the heat bulb though. a wet towel might also help, let her slide through it as you hold it round her body

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  14:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers guys but I've done those so was going to give her a water and baby oil bath, I thought about using the digi thermometers I use for the viv's but wasn't sure if they were water proof lol

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  14:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just dip the metal end in the water should be ok

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  15:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't use baby oil. It has stuff in it, if you must use an oil use vegetable oil or sunflower oil but water will be more than enough to help a shedding problem (Oils are used to treat mites as it helps suffocate them but isn't really used for the snakes benefit).

Your thermometer probes are waterproof providing the little plastic sheath type bit is still in tact, I know on a few of mine they aren't so I could use those. When I had to help my corn after a bad shed I had a bowl of tepid water and just let him slither through it and as he came back out I held my hand tightly to his body but not squishing him and let him push through the gap and it all came off.

And dont forget the tail tip and eye caps are the important bit, if they are off there is no urgency in getting the rest off, they usually go back into shed straight away after a bad one anyway so at worse you'll have a tatty snake for a week or so.

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  16:43:30  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a warm bath and patience usually works for me if i've misjudged the humidity for the Boas or the royals, just watch out for receiving a free gift, that warm water has side effects

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  16:54:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep that is very too, not a good day to be a scubadude in that water.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000