Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Regalmatt
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  19:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
I'm getting my first royal in a couple of weeks,(I have a corn already) she's female, about 4 yrs old and between 3.5 - 4 ft.my original plan was to get a young snake but someone I know is letting her go, my question is( might be really stupid but...) I have a one year old boy who is tottering about now, is an adult royal in the house a risk to my son?im getting paranoid!

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  19:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - no!

She'll be a bigger baby than he is!

I have a couple of big ones about the same size - the lass is totally soppy; the lad, Shahi, once gave me a feeding response bite (my fault!) but your son won't be anywhere near a feeding python of course.

I don't think you've anything to be nervous about - royals are gentle and shy and I imagine you'll supervise your son and make sure he doesn't think she's a fun toy.

Congrats on the new purchase - post pics up asap lol!

Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  19:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If our little baby Royal 'Hector' can cope with my 4 year old autistic daughter, then I'm sure an older snake would be ok with a toddler! LOL. Does this snake come from a home where it's regularly handled and does the current owner have kids?

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).
Go to Top of Page

Regalmatt
Hatchling

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  20:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers for the reassurance guys, she was rescued a few years back, was a poor eater but now a great eater! She escaped for 6 months,and was found and handled regularly up till a month-ish ago, I've been told she has only bitten once(years ago) in a feeding response but hasnt since. I plan on handling regularly. My question referred to her constricting capabilities rather than a bite! Lol.(I feel a bit silly now)!! Lol.
So excited... Can't wait....
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  10:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royals are strong but as long as you supervise the snake interacting with your toddler it should be fine. If the snake squeezes a bit tight for comfort they are fairly easy to remove, gently of course! My Kids have handled full grown Royals in the past (with supervision) and have never had any problems (not that we've ever owned an adult ourselves). I'm sure she'll be fine! Good luck and congrats on the new addition (when you get her). :)

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  10:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The royal will never likely constrict at all, he may grasp tight to hold on but that.s nothing like a constriction to prey, if he is startled or angry he might bite but bites are harmless, it wouldn't occur to the royal to even attempt to constrict something it didn't plan on eating.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2011 :  10:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with what everyone has said already...As long as supervision is done (as with any animal and child situation) then nothing to worry about. I have 4 snakes and my foster kids are perfectly safe. The only one they are nervous of is the kingsnake (who`s a bit of a snapper ) so they go out the room when its his playtime.

Personally id be more worried for the royal with a toddler about lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000