New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ellie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  03:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...how long do you guys tend to keep your royal chums out for when they are out for armchair walkies/sofa climbing/duvet adventures?

I always feel a bit mean putting Bambi back in her viv as she is very active and inquisitive and just seems to really enjoy exploring and being out...but obviously I don't want her to get cold so I never keep her out for too long.

Obviously room temperature will be a factor, but assuming that it isn't particularly cold, how long would be too long to keep her out for?

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  07:44:23  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It all depends on the snake tbh. You will get to know your own, and see what they like and what they don't
Bullet my male, will quite happily sit on my shoulders or on the top of the sofa for hours, but because he only goes up there to sleep, o now that if he goes straight up there, that I have about half an hour with him as my neck is quite warm, and he won't get to cold. But because he is going up there to sleep, I tend to put him back after a nice play with him, as he can sleep in his cage and feel a lot more comfertable
Bow on the other hand, my female, is one that likes to explore everything, and likes to climb. So she is constantly on the go, and eventually she will start to become a little stressy when move her, that is when I know it is time to put her back as she wants to do her own thing without me messing with her. This time usually lasts about 20 mins depending on what she is like.
I would say for a new royal, I would go for about 10 mins to start to get it used to you, and gradually work that up and see how it goes

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  09:28:04  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with danny, and i can add it's about the snake mood.
sometimes Blitz is happy getting out for a wonder and for couple pics so i take my time, and sometimes he look stressed or cold so i put him back soon to his viv after a general check if he is ok.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  16:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response.

I've had her for nearly 5 months now, so I'd say she's pretty used to me and I can tell if she is starting to get stressed or isn't in an exploring kind of mood...so I know when to pop her back in that sense. I was just wondering how long I can keep her out for when she isn't stressed and is enjoying having a wander around?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  17:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reckon as long as the room (including floor level) is as warm as her viv's cool end, what harm can it do as long as she's relaxed? They're all different. Atm I have a male, Shahi, who's crazy for the girls and rolls round and round his viv looking very miserable ...if I get him out and sling him round my neck, under my collar, he goes to sleep in my warmth for an hour or so, and then goes back into viv apparently pacified ...until the next time lol.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  17:43:50  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
like others have said, you'll soon come to see how long they like to be out for, but don't fret as long as the room isn't too cold, if they're happy being out let them be :D

If it wasn't for the fact that he'd never be found again i think Chancho would quite happily free roam!! He always wants to be out. He even sits on my shoulders when i'm cleaning his rub out in the kitchen (although he did nearly fall in the bin once when he wasn't holding on properly!)

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000