New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lionscar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  20:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As per Lotabobs request I'll write afew things about our Monitor. I'll try to be concise but it may go on a bit.
1st off you'll notice I said Ornate Monitor not Ornate Nile Monitor, they were believed to be a subspecies of the Nile but it is now known they are a seperate species and as such no longer carries the 'Nile' moniker.
I class captive animals in 3 ways, 1; Conservation Stock, 2; Display Animals and 3rd, Pets. The Ornate Monitor is really not a pet, I know lots of people have Monitors as tame as dogs but I believe if you want an animal to stroke and hold a lot you should stick to mammals, with any animal I deal with I always ask myself 'what is it ? What does it need to be happy and healthy? Monitors do not need to be handled to be happy and healthy, Im not suggesting it is any way detrimental to the animal its just not neccesary to its welfare, so our Monitor is a display animal, he is a beautiful creature but I have no desire to handle him, if he ever needs a vet I shall have no choice but to grab him but Ive grabbed far worse.
He is very aggressive and the tail is always the 1st line of defence, hes had me across the knuckles and its like a good whack with a ruler from the headmaster. This is always a hazard when cleaning his viv. Ive not been bitten by him thankfully, they are accepted now as having venom glands as well as having teeth like a shark, serrated front and back and curved back,and a bite like a bulldog, they will hang on for 20 minutes + if theyre agitated and the pressure just keeps increasing,coupled with claws like a raptor and as a piece de resistance they will 'void their bowels' all over you, all in all it'll mean a trip to A&E if I do get tagged.
Hes now 3years old and nearly 3 feet long so possibly only half his adult size so the obvious main consideration in keeping one of these is enclosure size, he will eventually have an entire room purpose built to house him but as juveniles they get freaked by large spaces, so he is at present in a smaller viv but will soon move up to a 6 or 7 foot viv then his own room.
For the 1st 2 years we barely saw him, he would dissapear into his burrow as soon as we entered the room but he is getting braver as he grows so we see a lot more of him now which is nice.
Feeding couldnt be easier, if an Ornate stops feeding you have a big problem, he eats anything anytime and always wants more. In general, care is very simple, far easier than Royals for instance, get temperature right, give them water to swim in, they only defecate in water so it is an absolute must have, trees to climb, a few hiding places and they are quite content. The single biggest commitment is the amount of space they must have.
Far too many adult Monitors are abandonded or taken back to the shop when they get bigger as with many large snakes, as people just dont appreciate what theyre getting into, we mulled the decision over whether to get a Monitor for well over a year, going through all the pros & cons before deciding yes, Im 42 now, I could have him well intp my 60s, thats a serious commitment.
I would highly reccomend them to anyone willing to take one on and that has the space,an entire room remember, no less, they are incredible animals, very intelligent and physically awesome to behold.
I could fill pages about them but Ive covered the main points so I'll stop now but am of course more than happy to answer any questions.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  20:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow he sounds cool - yes you have to respect these guys and they are a commitment - I'm almost 60 and have to realise that my snakes may outlive me ...

I'm not into lizards as I'm too infatuated with snakes but made me LOL with the water bowl thing ...my gopher Ziska who thinks she's a rattlesnake (as they do in the wild) only big soppy lump really, does just the same ...ewwww

Animals ...always comes down to the same thing, s*** shovelling eh?

Cool name, Lionscar - if you worked in a zoo I'm assuming that's autobiographical?

Do post some pics of Ornate!

Go to Top of Page

Lionscar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  21:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Wow he sounds cool - yes you have to respect these guys and they are a commitment - I'm almost 60 and have to realise that my snakes may outlive me ...

I'm not into lizards as I'm too infatuated with snakes but made me LOL with the water bowl thing ...my gopher Ziska who thinks she's a rattlesnake (as they do in the wild) only big soppy lump really, does just the same ...ewwww

Animals ...always comes down to the same thing, s*** shovelling eh?

Cool name, Lionscar - if you worked in a zoo I'm assuming that's autobiographical?

Do post some pics of Ornate!

I have tried unsuccesfully to get some good pics of him but hes not too co-operative, I'll keep trying though.
Snakes, lizards, cats you name it Im into it so working at a Zoo works perfectly and yes my forum name ia autobiographical although Ive never heard it put that way I was 'tagged' by a Lion a few years ago, very lucky to still have my right hand. My Monitor cant do any worse ?
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  22:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lion scar would make a great bird puller though. lol.

Thanks for that info, I look forward to pictures.

Go to Top of Page

Lionscar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

A lion scar would make a great bird puller though. lol.

Thanks for that info, I look forward to pictures.

Amazingly yes,but shhhh, the Wife might read this
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000