New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  13:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is quite interesting to read about people buying and selling their snakes. now i have cats and can not imagine selling one of them, i have a huge emotional attatchment to them. do you think there is less emotional feeling for snakes? if so why do you think this is. are they less a member of the family than cats or dogs more ornamental "things"? no judgements just find it interesting and wondered the reasons.

x

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python Loki
1.1.0 Cats Daisy and Benson

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  13:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Less attachment for some and more for others in my case. Right now Angel my little Bumblebee I feel very attached to as I managed to get her from a dangerously low weight not feeding to force feeding - to assist feeding - to live feeding on multi's - to feeding on frozen multi's - to feeding fine on defrost rats :) however Anubis who spends most of his time hissing and biting at me I have no real connection to, I take him out to tame him down a little but I have no enthusiasm to "play" with him and he doesn't get much handling time except to get him used to handling.

Scar is always off his food this time of year so to be perfectly honest I completely forget I even own him at the moment for months he's just basically a vivarium I have to replace water in, kind of hard to get an emotional tie to an empty vivarium.

I believe it depends on a few things firstly why you own snakes, personally I'm really into the genetics and the breeding rather than the companionship and the pet. Then there is how people view their animals scientifically, personally I don't think snakes get any attachment to their owners, I don't even believe they experience "happiness" or "Sadness" I believe they're like 95% logics so as long as they have water, a place to hide and plenty of food they will be content, I don't even think they "come to the glass to be held" I don't think they curl up on our laps because they like us I think they probably either get scared or enjoy our body heat so I quite easily separate myself from them emotionally which for me is good because I know fully well I will be selling some of them in the future and I'm glad that won't be as hard as it could be, I remember being very upset when I sold my first snake to make room for some morphs.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  14:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - Kelf - you should see my Shiva, who I've only had a month, coming to the glass and nodding like a lizard when he wants food or company!

I do agree though, I don't believe snakes become attached to us as say a cat or dog would, although I feel they become accustomed to an owner's presence, skin scent, whatever. I've had randy corn snakes and royals be inconsolable in their warm vivs but, once out, stopping their roaming and going to sleep in my sweater as if my human warmth calmed them in some way.

I think attachment to a snake is a matter of temperament and taste; you can have a pet chicken or sheep for instance, or you can keep livestock for breeding and sell on any animals not required for this. Or somewhere between the two; as long as husbandry is good, the animal's going to be content. And plenty of people who breed commercially still get very attached to their animals.

Personally though I'm deeply attached. My cats and snakes are my family. There again I've no plans to breed so my lot are just pets. Even though I don't always handle them much if they're in a retiring mode. I'll stop there ...I'm one of the slushy ones who talks to my snakes ...

Edited by - n/a on 05/12/2011 14:49:06
Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  14:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also one of the slushy ones BATS...I find myself talking to Bambi without even realising I'm doing it I'm definitely attached and couldn't imagine selling her, but I got her as a pet, not as a breeding project or a display piece, which probably makes the biggest difference in whether owners get emotionally attached or not.

Unlike with cats and dogs however, snakes don't develop emotional attachments in return, so I don't think it really matters...as long as the animal is looked after properly, of course.

Go to Top of Page

venommum2011
Yearling

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  15:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also one of the saddo's with an attachment to all 10 of my snakes although I don't get to see Casper,Mimi and soon another one of my pythons and our new corn as they will be going to live with my boyfriend but I still love them and wouldnt fully part with any of my 10 snakies, yeah I have favourites and my two favs are Merlin my young royal and he was my first royal and top of the pack in my eyes and 2nd best is my king snake. I believe they get some sort of attachment to us as owners and don't care if they do or dont loool. I'd rather have a snake then any fluffy cute animal, the only other fluffy animal I personally own is my JRT who again I would neveer part with and my by has his own two dogs but we would not get any other fluffy animals.

mum to:

5 corns, Blitz, Scooby and Arney, Casper and Kat
4 Royal Pythons Merlin (aka Destiny but has sex change)Crystal, Mims and Marvin.
2 King Snakes called Princess Nipper and Prince.
1 Dwarf Boa called Willow
1 Hognose called Catapiller.
Taz our Bearded Dragon.
Three dogs, Smurfe, JRT x Staff, Buster a Staff and Milly our Yellow Lab.
One cat called Banoffee.
Four human babies, Joanna 6 yrs old and Harleigh 3 yrs old, Charlie 12yrs and Jacob 17yrs.
[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ellie

I'm also one of the slushy ones BATS...I find myself talking to Bambi without even realising I'm doing it I'm definitely attached and couldn't imagine selling her, but I got her as a pet, not as a breeding project or a display piece, which probably makes the biggest difference in whether owners get emotionally attached or not.

Unlike with cats and dogs however, snakes don't develop emotional attachments in return, so I don't think it really matters...as long as the animal is looked after properly, of course.

like others have said,most of it depends on why you have them,ie pets or for breeding etc.

I bet theres alot of people,that hate cats and see there snakes in the same light,as people see cats.

I bet some of the huge amount of ad sales for,corn snakes etc are due to people being sold starter snakes.Then a year later selling them on as they get bored.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

venommum2011
Yearling

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep I am one of those not that keen on cats yet totally adore my snakies and agree with the buying a lil corn snake for looking big and tough then getting bored and passing them on, a snake is for life not just for a fashion accessory

mum to:

4 Royal Pythons Merlin (aka Destiny but has sex change)Crystal, Mims and Marvin.
Taz our Bearded Dragon.
One cat called Banoffee.
Four human babies, Joanna 6 yrs old and Harleigh 3 yrs old, Charlie 12yrs and Jacob 17yrs.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  18:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by venommum2011
a snake is for life not just for a fashion accessory

Unless it's been turned into a belt already ;)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

venommum2011
Yearling

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  18:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Kelf

mum to:

Taz our Bearded Dragon.
One cat called Banoffee.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  18:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another slushy one here. I talk to Oscar and I'm always peeking in at him. Can't leave him alone really, lol. He's my pet and I wouldn't part with him. Mind you, if he turned nasty then there would be no point keeping him as there would be no enjoyment, only fear and that wouldn't be good.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  18:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

quote:
Originally posted by venommum2011
a snake is for life not just for a fashion accessory

Unless it's been turned into a belt already ;)

or boots hehehe

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  19:10:45  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with kelf, that the personality of the pet makes u attached or not, i'm not talking about Blitz becouse i love him and i was planning on getting a snake since i was a kid and there is no way i'm gonna sell him, i'm talking about hamster !!! yea hamster, u maybe little bit surprized but yes i'm buying hamsters to feed Blitz but i got one hamster, he/she is so sweet, peaceful and funny so i didn't feed him to Blitz and let him as a pet (for some time), other hamster i bought were running away from my, hiding, don't want me to handle them and some time even bite me so i think this different what makes u attached or not.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  21:35:44  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL i'm another slushy one! they get talked to every time i see them, even if they aren't coming out XD

I couldn't part with mine unless something really bad meant i had to, even then i would make sure to sell them to someone on here so i can see the odd pic and be nosey about them!

I think if you keep snakes as a breeding project etc where you aren't attached but have a more 'scientific' approach, then buying and selling/trading is fair enough i guess. The snakes don't really give a monkeys i know (deep down *sigh!*) as long as they are looked after :)

But yeah, i don't like seeing a snake sold on because someone got bored of it.. although you hope it at least gets to go to a good home, which s better than being ignored/neglected! How can you get bored with them! :D

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  21:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ellie

I find myself talking to Bambi without even realising I'm doing it

haha I talk away to all my animals, even the spiders, my dog gets the brunt of it though, I'm sure I've seen him roll his eyes at me.

I couldn't part with any of my babies unless for some reason I was unable to care for them, during hard times a good while ago I went without decent food so my dog could have his dinner every night. They come first always.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  00:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

during hard times a good while ago I went without decent food so my dog could have his dinner every night. They come first always.

I've done exactly the same thing Rob and would do it again if I had to. I love my animals.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Lionscar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think with most people that do sell or give away pet snakes its a primal thing, Humans relate more to mammals than reptiles, we have used and domesticated mammals for thousands of years but reptile keeping is a fairly recent 'hobby'
we are naturally drawn to soft warm furry animals whereas reptile lovers fill a much smaller niche, my Wife and I talk to our snakes the same as we talk to our cats, yes we know they have no ears but plenty of people talk to plants.
In short you have to be a rare and special type of person to bond with a reptile.
Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  09:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im attached to my snakes. Carly my giant corn was given to me by my OH. Hated snakes for a long time and every time i visited him I just looked at them behind the glass, I asked to take her out and she came out and we had a marathon holding session before i put her back. Now shes at my mums, I promised her a family life and I will give her that, once I have finished fumigating. Shes been pushed from pillar to post and I know shes gonna be uber peeved at me when I get her back but...shell forgive me...eventualy!

Mister, well hes my baby my angel. I missed him so much when he was away at my mums but hes in a rub and it was much simpler to get him home. Hes the one who gets most of my emotion and attention right now. I love him for another reason though, he bit me and scared me to death and i was fully prepared to leave him with my OH for some rearing but knowing that I might not get him back from OH I brought him home and persevered. Hes still jumpy but hes a baby. I also think he bring a little bit of drama to my life, hes always got a story like "hes shedding and looks manky" or "hes just eaten and is grumpy". Hell come right up to my face and tickle my lips or nose with his tongue, these are my snakey kisses...ive also learned he also likes the christmas tree, but not to let him in it!

Above all these things, hes my pet. The kids HATE snakes so for the first time in 8 years I have something that the kids dont want, wont touch...and it feels great!

1.0.0 Royal Python, Mister
0.0.1 Cornsnake, Carly/Charly
0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
1.1.0 Children, Ellen & Oscar
Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  12:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey carly, Mister sounds a real charactor and I bet you are so glad you persevered with him :)

I love the thought of having a pet that my kidlet would never even go close to, but that would only be a tarantula, and spiders give me the creeps so that wouldn't really work lol

I want a Bearded Dragon, but after researching it seems they need to be fed every day, I can leave my African Grey for 3 days if well stocked on parrot biscuit but fress greens wouldn't keep that long.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW lots of really interesting views on this. i would say i am not too attached to loki yet but i do talk to him all the time whether he is out or in his hide. Every time i see him out i say hello. but i talk to myself a lot too and the cats and the car when i am out in that. maybe that just makes me a little bit doolaly lol

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python Loki
1.1.0 Cats Daisy and Benson
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im incredably attached to my little snakes. their often the first thing i go to in the mornings and when i get back from work and all get handled every day (other than the obvious times). i saw a girl having to sell hers back to the shop a couple of weeks ago and she was heartbroken... really felt for her and know for sure i wouldnt have been able to do it with one of mine.

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000