Crisis tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  17:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the cold weather upon us and more particularly, the warnings of severe gales in the North for the next 2 days, this seems like a good time to exchange tips on what we'd do in a power cut.

I wish I'd invested in a few more hot water bottles to be honest. I do have one, and a couple of stone ones. These, wrapped securely in towels, would go into the vivs of the royals upstairs. I have a gas fire in the living room and a cooker in the kitchen that I leave on low, and the ambient temp near Shiva's and Ziska's vivs stays around 22c+, more if the fire is turned up full. So, while the temps might not be ideal, they'd be better off than the snakes upstairs. There are radiators in the bedrooms, but the central heating needs electricity for the pump.

I'd have to improvise hotwiter bottles for the corns; luckily I have a variety of plastic containers that could be filled with hot water and again wrapped to shield the snakes from very hot surfaces. I'd do the same for the downstairs snakes if the power cut looked like lasting longer than an hour or two.

I would take care not to open freezers so as to conserve the temperature within, although as long as food retains ice crystals, it can be refrozen, even if slightly soft.

It's not that I'm looking on the black side, mind, but it's better to be prepared. And my good wishes and good luck to everyone in the far North, especially TRP members - I hope with all my heart that the weather won't be as severe as the warnings make it out to be.

Anyone else got any crisis tips?

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  19:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I need to sort out a supply of hand warmers as all my heating, and cooking is either electric or is gas but wont work without an electricity supply. No electric, no heat.

Last year I lost my gas boiler for a week it was about -12oC outside and the vivarium needed no extra heat at all, it performed brilliantly even if me and the dog had to wrap up in a duvet to stay warm.

I'm in Belfast, expected 70mph wind, rain etc but we've had worse, I'm just hoping the wind blows my sky dish into alignment again as the last storm knocked it and I haven't managed to go up on the roof and sort it out yet.

Another big one from what I learnt last year is if it gets really really cold, start storing a few bottles of water, I was without water for well over a week, they had water stations open during the day but I was at work so barely got any chances to get water, I had 3 bottles of water and my dog and animals got most of it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  21:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the wind, which was supposed to gather force overnight, has died down to nothing; there's a clear and frosty sky but all is still. Just hope it's not the lull before the storm of course.

Elsewhere the forecasts seem to be less gloomy; although tomorrow gusts of 70mph are still threatened for Dundee and area, in Belfast they're forecast to be 50 or so, Bob, about the same as here in Wakefield - so DO hope the Scottish forecast is over-estimated now.

However if you get any gales in Belfast hope they tweak your satellite dish in the right direction lol!

Good luck to us all!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  01:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get little generators,but i guess you would need super long leads to connect everything up.I've not really looked into how id heat everything

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  09:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1kw silent generator in the shed ready, but thankfully long power cuts in London are not very common these days.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  10:55:46  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we're in London too so i guess we're better off. However we live in a newish flat with those HORRIBLE electric heaters instead of nice gas central heating.

We've had to duct tape the windows because, although they're double glazed, the frames are wooden and have warped, so they're very draughty. And the insulation of the flat in general is AWFUL... i always fell the cold but my boyfriend is his own personal heater, but even he says he's feeling cold!

I was worried about the snakes, as this time last year, we only had a teeny weeny Betty living next to the radiator in the slightly cosier bedroom. Now we have two more, they live in the livingroom, which takes a while to warm up as its quite a big room (and only one crappy heater!). But they're getting on fine - Sanchez still loves hiding under his dog bowl filled with cold water (the ultimate cold hide!!!) most of the time - madness! The other two make snakey sense and cuddle up (on their own!) in their respective warm ends. I wish i was Chancho because his warm hide is SO cosy! Whenever i get him out from under it, it feels so snugly and warm! Don't think i can fit into an 18l RUB tho :(

This winter has left us so cold that we're going to end the lease in March when it comes up, and find somewhere better insulated etc, last night it felt like i was outside when i was walking round the house doing jobs, ridiculous that landlords don't have standards when they charge so much rent in London, although i have heard much much worse stories about this sort of thing, and ours is a picnic in comparison!

Stay safe everyone in the wild weather though!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess I am very lucky there, my heating has not been on yet since last winter. The benefits of owning a terraced house. My friend has a semi and its freezing due to having three exposed external walls.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:53:35  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

Guess I am very lucky there, my heating has not been on yet since last winter. The benefits of owning a terraced house. My friend has a semi and its freezing due to having three exposed external walls.

you lucky sod! haha

yeah we're after a flat in a terrace next, sounds like a very good idea! We're in a small block, but our upstairs is within the roof of the building so very exposed.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  12:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow a generator sounds just the job - no I haven't had my central heating on - yet. Like you, Mark, I'm in an inner terrace. The house is cool but not shivery-cool, even today with the wind blowing, though we're lucky in Wakefield as it's comparatively sheltered. Mind you the old thermals and legwarmers come in handy!

Mystra that's appalling - up here we tend to think of you southerners living in mild conditions - and having to pay an exorbitant rent for somewhere like that ...do hope you find something better by next winter!

Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  21:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mystra, I know exactly how you feel. Ive just moved from terraced to terraced, the house opposite to be specific. My old house had single glazing and half the window frames were rotten, the front door had a gaping wide gap round it and let in an awful draft. My front room basically opened onto the street so by the time the door was opened all the heat was gone. I had gas central heating but no thermostat..either all on...or all off and all the rads were under the poorly insulated glass windows.

My kids were constantly cold and had chest infections and I just got so fed up. They stuck the rent up every year but no improvements were made...im so glad im out of there.

When i moved in here my stats were too high and i started to cook my snakes so i had to reset the thermostats up, i can run my stat at 30 now and now have to run it at 35 like before and it barely reach temperature. I rarely have the heating on now...

I hope you get moved soon, I know what such cold conditions can do to a family and it isnt worth it when someone else is profiting on your suffering..

1.0.0 Royal Python, Mister
0.0.1 Cornsnake, Carly/Charly
0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
1.1.0 Children, Ellen & Oscar
Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  08:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW I just see on news 50,000 homes in scotland without electricity till the weekend... :(

1.0.0 Royal Python, Mister
0.0.1 Cornsnake, Carly/Charly
0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
1.1.0 Children, Ellen & Oscar
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  11:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG - that's dreadful and I do hope that they don't have to wait that long.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  12:17:34  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlycorn

WOW I just see on news 50,000 homes in scotland without electricity till the weekend... :(

oh my goodness, the wind must be dreadful up there, it was bad enough in London to nearly blow me off my bike over London Bridge so i dread to think how much worse it is up there. Stay safe everyone! Hopefully the electric gets sorted ASAP for those affected, it must be awful :(

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  12:22:44  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Mystra that's appalling - up here we tend to think of you southerners living in mild conditions - and having to pay an exorbitant rent for somewhere like that ...do hope you find something better by next winter!

it's silly isn't it, from looking round you'd think "must be fine it's a new flat..' etc etc but they're all built form cheap rubbish and about 90 million corners are cut! i can't wait to move to a decent, older house/flat that was built properly! I've heard much worse horror stories. People with slugs living in their homes, frosty breath, all sorts so a bit of chilliness does pale into insignificance.

I think some landlords/agents really do take advantage of making a quick buck from desperate tenants who have zero hope of ever buying in the current climate, not just in London but everywhere (and in London they can charge what they like!). They get the hump if the place isn't professionally cleaned and find any excuse to rob your deposit back but completely neglect to look after the poor sods living in their houses while they're there!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  13:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My god they even inspect you for tidiness and cleanliness???

It's a bloody good thing I don't have a landlord - if you can imagine Steptoe and son living in the reptile house at London Zoo, that's my house ...

Do hope you get somewhere much better next time, fingers crossed.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  13:49:36  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

My god they even inspect you for tidiness and cleanliness???

It's a bloody good thing I don't have a landlord - if you can imagine Steptoe and son living in the reptile house at London Zoo, that's my house ...

Do hope you get somewhere much better next time, fingers crossed.

no, i mean when you move out, but we do have a yearly inspection, which never over joys me lol

Steptoe and Son in the reptile house - sounds excellent too (plus the reptile house is always warm!!!). The side of my bed has turned into 'random crap alley' and the livingroom is turning into a workshop with bits and pieces for Sanchez' viv everywhere! Lifes not right unless there's a lot of mess and junk! :D

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  14:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saw the weather on the news last night, hope all you northerners are getting on ok up there! looks honking!

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  15:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Mystra - ain't that the truth! I drive myself mad sometimes but at least it's cosy.

Weather's not too bad in Wakefield, Jono - well, put it this way I've no intention of going out in it but it could be a lot worse. But it's still bad in places like Bradford which are higher up and I don't think its much improved in Scotland. I was praying for no more snow but never expected this ...bloody climate eh?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000