ANGRY Caris!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matco
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  18:49:16  Show Profile  Click to see matco's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Caris was very angry and believe her to of attempted to strike me twice, i was no where near her though, Just thought I'd give her a weigh in just before a feed so had a mouse on standby.
I firstly removed her from the hot spot in her viv may of been heatin herself, she felt very warm, gave me a funny look, put her in a container on the scale(weighed in at 129g) she then struck out, I then moved her in her feeding box again once in the box went for me again but I was much too far away. She then remained on edge coiled ready to strike again, rightly or wrongly I put a mouse in with forceps she struck and took it immediately, played with it a while then left it, I waited for a while then picked up the mouse again she took this time and ate it.
Not sure if I've done anything wrong or just caught her in a bad mood but just seemed odd behaviour, also skin starting to look dull, maybe time to shed?
Any advice would be appreciated

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  19:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probly a mixture of going into shed and being able to smell the mouse or just being snappy as shes little

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  19:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, as Chrisc says - what a little madam lol!

Snakes know when it's their feeding day.

Sounds a right little character bless her - cool!

Go to Top of Page

matco
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  20:31:38  Show Profile  Click to see matco's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Daft question but does a bite actually hurt?
Bare in mind I've had a fair few broken limbs, ligament replacements and generally a rough sporting life, am I being a girl about fear of being bitten?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  00:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - no you're not being soppy!

It's funny but the idea of a snake bite seems much worse than any other sort of bite, maybe because some snakes are venomous ...when I got my first corn hatchlings I'd been bitten by cats, dogs (other people's dogs attacking my dog) hens (ever been 'kissed' by a hen? I think she thought my eye and eyelashes were some sort of wriggly black beetle lol) and so on but the first time I fed little bootlace Buffy and she struck, I jumped a mile lol!

I've had a few experiences of being struck at, once a feeding response from baby Shahi (I stupidly interfered with his meal, thinking I was 'helping' him) and the rest from the redoubtable Ziska, whose wild Californian relatives use a rattlesnake impression as defence, and it's been a case of 'blink and you've missed it'. It feels like velcro - and you think - 'wow, I've been BITTEN!'

The only painful bites I've had were once from Ziska when she was a baby and I moved a log out of the way before feeding her, and something like a mamba shot out of the aspen and tagged me. My fault because I should have realised she was waiting for her meal. It was like when you're gardening and grab a clump of weeds with a bee inside it - stung a bit. My fault.

The other time was when Shahi used to like to be lifted on to his climbing branch before feeding. As with Ziska, I'd made sure my hands didn't smell of rat, but he knew it was his feeding day and he was excited. He grabbed. A rat is a rat even when it's a finger. Good boy for feeding! He couldn't understand why I wasn't praising him! It hurt like hell - he was taking my finger down his gullet and I had to dash into the bathroom and run cold water on his face to make him let go. Keeping my hand as still as I could all the while as any movement would have stimulated a harder coil and grip as he made well sure that the 'prey' (my hand) was 'dead' before he took it further down. I apologised to him afterwards - it really was my bad judgement and he honestly thought he'd been offered a meal.

So a snake bite can hurt, but most bites don't. I'd be far far far more scared of sporting injuries, wuss that I am!

Edited by - n/a on 17/12/2011 00:06:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000