New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  17:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I know your ment to give them a week to settel in, but should I try anyways?? iv had him since saturday and he's been out for hours every evening exploring. He's pooped already - which im taking as him making him self at home. I wouldnt have even asked if I knew if he fed last week. See, I went to see him fed last week and he refused, but I forgot to ask if he did when I picked him up. I know they can go for ages with out but should I try anyways and see how it goes??

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  17:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it wouldn't hurt to offer. i always offer any new snake on feeding night, unless they fed a couple of days before.

its up to you, won't do any harm if you offer or leave for a week

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  17:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like your gut instinct is to try - and it's been 5 days. In your place I would - but if he refuses, don't push him and leave another week before your next attempt if he's over 400g - 5 days if he's under that weight.

Give the rat's nose a right good warm before you present it on tongs - 30 secs with the hairdryer and try to let the ratty pong blow into his enclosure and see if he puts his nose out of his hide like a Bisto kid.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  17:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Blackskull we overlapped!

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  18:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tryed and no luck. Should I leave it in there and turn out the lights?? My corn was a really shy eater when I first got her and would only eat when she knew I wasnt watching. Of course ill try again next week, but I think he may be under weight as you can see his spine
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  19:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - you might as well leave it. Make sure it's in the cool end where it can't go rancid, and don't be too downcast as they'll often refuse a first meal. My Shadrach did, and then ate his second, and then today, his third, he was a little tiger, striking madly.

How old is Koda, and what is his weight? This is a good guide as to whether a royal's underweight or not -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4437

Good luck for tonight/next week!

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  21:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yes - you might as well leave it. Make sure it's in the cool end where it can't go rancid, and don't be too downcast as they'll often refuse a first meal. My Shadrach did, and then ate his second, and then today, his third, he was a little tiger, striking madly.

How old is Koda, and what is his weight? This is a good guide as to whether a royal's underweight or not -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4437

Good luck for tonight/next

Thanks for the help, people areguessing around 6 months. Im not sure about weight, I dont have scales. I doubt he is under weight, I bet im just being a paronid new royal owner. But im not a new snake owner, so im not too worryed about him missing the meal. And if I had'nt been too excited about seeing him strike I wouldn't have even tryed to feed him anyway.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  21:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - all royal owners are paranoid, and no matter how many snakes you have, it's always a relief when a newcomer eats for the first time.

All the best for the next feed.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  22:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha you might be waiting a while, Royals can be a pain to get settled in, took Duke 3 weeks before he fed and then the 3 consecutive feeds before handling meant I didnt really get to handle Duke for nearly 7 weeks.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000