New snake question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ppl_clectr
Yearling

Canada
226 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  15:50:48  Show Profile  Visit ppl_clectr's Homepage  Click to see ppl_clectr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We added a baby Pastel yesterday! He is really on edge. When I put him in his viv, he was coiled and tried to strike at me. He has spent the whole morning so far coiled and looking totally on edge. Not in a ball, mind you. Will he calm down? I know he wasn't handled all that much at the breeder, and I am hoping he will be as good natured as Jasper with regular handling. Are babies more skittish? He is about 10 inches long right now, born in the summer, I believe. He is supposed to be for my 10 year old daughter, who is quite fearless, but I don't want her to be bitten. The breeder gave us a trade option if he wasn't suitable. How long should I wait to exercise that option?

SherriR

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  15:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is normal for snakes of all ages to strike out in defense when they feel threatened, this one has just been moved to a new home and new surroundings so would expect that especially from a young one. Leave it be to settle with no handling to destress from the move and get used to the new surroundings. Personally I wouldnt be handling untill after 3 feeds.

If you ae worried contact the breeder and ask how long you have for the trade option but wouldnt be making decisions after only a day.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  15:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
put a sock/cloth in you pocket for a few hours them place in the viv/rub, helps them get used to your scent. hes probly nerovous being a hatchling an in a new home. what size is the viv you have him in?

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

ppl_clectr
Yearling

Canada
226 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  15:58:00  Show Profile  Visit ppl_clectr's Homepage  Click to see ppl_clectr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, GMac. My first Royal had no issues what so ever. He was out in 2 days, never coiled, has been absolutely lovely. Maybe he set the bar too high?

SherriR
Go to Top of Page

ppl_clectr
Yearling

Canada
226 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  15:58:49  Show Profile  Visit ppl_clectr's Homepage  Click to see ppl_clectr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's only 10 gallon, didn't want him feeling lost.

SherriR
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  17:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as GMac and Chris have said - new little ones can be cross ...I was once amazed when I got a tail rattle from a corn hatchling the size of a thin pencil. Aggressive royals are very rare, hope your little guy calms down soon, all the best with him and congrats, he sounds gorgeous.

Go to Top of Page

ppl_clectr
Yearling

Canada
226 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  17:52:56  Show Profile  Visit ppl_clectr's Homepage  Click to see ppl_clectr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks BATS, he is absolutely beautiful. I don't have a Photobucket account, but I do have pics on my Facebook account.

SherriR
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  18:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww he sounds cute ...sorry I can't look at pics as I don't do facebook (I'm strange lol.)

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  19:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can sign in on photo bucket with Facebook account
Go to Top of Page

matco
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  20:10:42  Show Profile  Click to see matco's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I paste mine from fb, if you go onto the picture in Facebook right click on it then copy the address then paste on the forum using the img things
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000