Coil first - bite later!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2011 :  15:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always, when you think you know what's going to happen, you get a surprise ...

You feed the snake. The snake takes the prey in its jaws and may coil; the next step is to ease its meal down its elastic gullet. Job done. Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you?

Shiva's still feeding well. I warm his rat outside his open viv window, an alligator head appears from under his favourite slab of bark, smiling expectantly, and as soon as he sees ratty approaching, he makes a rush. Talk about 'Jaws'!

Today was no different. Then he spat his rat out. He sometimes does this if I haven't wiggled the poor thing about sufficiently to simulate death throes once he has it in his grasp. So I fished it back out with the tongs and he watched impatiently as I rewarmed it; I offered it, and he backed off.

Now what was wrong? Was he beginning to go into fasting mode? Did he want his usual tongs? (I was using a different pair.) Changed tongs, re-offered, danced ratty about as he likes ...He was definitely interested, but he just wouldn't strike.

Just as I was about to give up, holding ratty still on the tongs, he came and nuzzled it all over, then rested his head on it as if it was a pillow.

Then he coiled. He didn't grip with his teeth or even open his mouth, he coiled. Hard. I managed to grip a foreleg and wiggle ratty again and he coiled extra hard, so hard that poor ratty squelched.

I left him alone after that, and he must have finally got his teeth round the rat because the next thing I saw at his window was a proudly lifted head with back legs and tail protruding.

So, this was royal python feeding time, but not as we know it, Jim.

There's always one, isn't there?

Edited by - n/a on 31/12/2011 15:50:55

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2011 :  16:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol Bats..thought it time to check your responses :)
We'll be doing that later, its feeding day here as well..my scales arrived so i'll weigh them both first.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2011 :  16:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - yeah, maybe he was testing me ...he is a very strange snake ...fits in perfectly at Bats' belfry!

Good luck with feeding your gang tonight

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000