New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimmer7
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
661 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  18:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi looking for some advice on putting some sort of light in my 3ft vx viv,My royal is only 4 months old,I use a 150watt ceramic(guarded)to give air temp,and a heat mat for hot spot,But its dark in side to look at.Is there some sort of light that i can use that dont give of any heat,havent got to be very bright,just enough for me to see in.
cheers

Winston Pinstripe
Pepsi Lesser Yb
Ronnie Sulfur Mojave
Sponge bob Firefly
Dr marshmallow brazilan black terranchala
Skellator costa Rican zebra T
Plus4 hissing cockroaches.
Reggie CA dwarf boa het blood
Willow Hognose

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  18:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use house hold energy bulbs in my vivs, guarded

you don't need both a ceramic bulb and a heat mat. just use the ceramic bulb. the ceramic will provide both the hot spot, directly under it and give you the air temp

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  19:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have LED spotlight in he boas viv, Its a blue light so is pleasing to the eye.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

viperflea
Hatchling

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  19:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a red heat lamp instead of a ceramic...it gives off a nice red glow so it is functional and adds lighting too....two birds and all that.....

Viperflea

ROYAL PYTHON - Monty
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  20:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah as above ditch the heat mat its not required and actually dangerous with heavy bodied snakes. I use 150 Watt ceramics and it creates the hot spot under the bulb, its what they do. I'm going to be installing LED strips in my vivs but you'd be just as well with one of those push on push off stick on bulb thingys as most Royals hate light.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  21:51:20  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'll be using LED strips for my lots vivs when i finish them. Getting some off a bloke who sells them on the dark side (RFUK) lol... they come with a unit to dim/change colours and stuff.... next i'll be getting them a mirror ball each and a a dance floor that lights up :P

but in all seriousness, if you want something that doesn't require a guard, LED strips are your best bet - any sort of bulb will need a guard - not just for heat but a dozy snake will climb on and possibly squish a glass bulb - not pretty! they're fairly cheap depending on what you want, not sure how much mine will be as he is waiting to get this new style stock in around now, but generally LED are fairly inexpensive :) you can get them on ebay, but i kept getting them where they need soldering to the wires and all sorts and to be honest, the seller's ideas of 'easy assembly' can kill my bum when it comes to electrics and especially mixing electrics and animals! This guy on RFUK sends them assembled - phew!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

jimmer7
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
661 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  19:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanks for your advice,I been to maplins today,got my self some LEDs set up £25, 3 round flush fittings containing 15 warm white leds each.The reason i am using a heat mat,is my royal is only 4 months old,and the shop/breeder A.J reptiles locking,told me to use the ceramic just to warm the air temp and use the heat mat as hot spot,But soon as winston(royal)is 10-12 months old remove the heat mat and just use the ceramic.

cheers

Winston Pinstripe
Pepsi Lesser Yb
Ronnie Sulfur Mojave
Sponge bob Firefly
Willow Hognose
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  19:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmer7

Hi thanks for your advice,I been to maplins today,got my self some LEDs set up £25, 3 round flush fittings containing 15 warm white leds each.The reason i am using a heat mat,is my royal is only 4 months old,and the shop/breeder A.J reptiles locking,told me to use the ceramic just to warm the air temp and use the heat mat as hot spot,But soon as winston(royal)is 10-12 months old remove the heat mat and just use the ceramic.

cheers

never heard of that way of doing it before,just seems a bit pointless running 2 heat sources when just the ceramic will do the job.

im guessing if you bought your royal from them your in somerset. i get my rats from them. they had a lovely pinstripe in when i was in a few weeks back but its male, i want a female

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

jimmer7
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
661 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  19:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thats mine now male pin stipe,he was a xmas gift from wife and kids,I have kept lizards of all sorts,and scorpions many years ago.but not snakes before,so i am only doing as i was advised,Do you think it would be best to remove the heat mat then and just use the ceramic,At the moment i got hot spot of 31-32 and a mid air temp of 25-26 .

cheers

Winston Pinstripe
Pepsi Lesser Yb
Ronnie Sulfur Mojave
Sponge bob Firefly
Willow Hognose
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  19:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice gift

the only time i personally would use a mat and bulb was if i had a rub in a viv, then i would have the rub on mat at cool end, ceramic set to get the cold end temp and mat for the hot temp with rub placed half way on mat. personally i would remove the mat, the ceramic will do the job, use a digi thermometer directly under the bulb to get the temp at 32, this will be your hot spot (the temp gauge on stats is not accurate thats why you should check with a thermometer). the cold end should take care of its self, i have a digi thermometer at both ends in all my vivs

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa