New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  16:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, im planning to get a 2 foot vivexotic vivarium but im wondering about the temperature gradient as its quite short.

I'm planning to use a ceramic heat bulb with pulse proportional stat. Is 100w ok or too big/small? Any prefered makes of bulb?

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  17:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm wondering if you might not be better off with infra red, as the ceramic guard I have(standard guard from Surrey pets) is 9" long by 5" square - it might take up rather a lot of room in a 2' viv. The infra red guard is much smaller and shorter.

I'm not sure what wattage ceramic is needed for a 2' viv, but even if 100w is too powerful, the stat will control it - always better to be over-powered than under-powered in case of a cold spell.

I reckon if you have the correct ambient temp in the warm end, the cool end will usually take care of itself, but I'm not an expert on this with heat bulbs in a 2' viv - I do have one but a small corn lives in there on a mat. Hopefully someone else more experienced will be along soon.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  18:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my boa is in a 2ft viv with a ceramic bulb on a pulse stat. i have a 150w bulb in, i know you would be ok with a 100w but its what i had to hand. the cold end temp is fine

i use the lucky reptile dark spot ceramic bulbs. even the larger wattage 250w bulb i have in my 4ft viv fits inside the guards i use. can't give you the sizes of the guards i use,i didn't bring my tape home from work which i was ment to do to measure something up for the other half

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy

Edited by - blackskull on 03/01/2012 18:37:51
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  20:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say you would be better off with a 150 Watt. I have a 100 Watt and a 150 Watt set ups and the 100 Watt would struggle to maintain the temperatures required for a Royal. I use 100 Watt for the Boa and corn that need less heat (the Boa is only a degree or 2 below Royal temps but it would struggle to go much higher).

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  20:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I'd say you would be better off with a 150 Watt. I have a 100 Watt and a 150 Watt set ups and the 100 Watt would struggle to maintain the temperatures required for a Royal. I use 100 Watt for the Boa and corn that need less heat (the Boa is only a degree or 2 below Royal temps but it would struggle to go much higher).

i struggled to get the right temps in my 3ft vivs with a 100w ceramic so had to use 150w. thats why i had spare 150w when i set the viv up for the boa

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  00:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah 150 watts are the future, I wont be buying any more 100 Watt ones thats for sure (going to move the `100 watt bulbs I have and put them to use in my spider cupboard).

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  06:45:51  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have 100 watts in my 3ft vivs for the royals and they easily reach the desired temps. Hot spot being about 33 degrees and then the ambient in warm end being about 32.
The problem with putting a bulb in a 2ft viv sometimes is that there is not much space to have a good temperature gradient, so the cold end can become quite hot, but iv never used a bulb in a 2ft for this reason, only have a heat mat in mine. Suppose you could try it and see how it work

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

delterflier
Yearling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  08:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2ft viv with 20w heat mat and it 60w bulb , both on 24/7
Temps sit at around 30 hot end and 22 cold end but having both on is eating the electric lol
, my heat mat struggles to keep temps up tbh

John
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  11:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, good input! Still not sure what to do tho really :)
If anyone can give me some measurements for their guards that would be good as there seems to be a lack of info on the size of bulbs and guards!

How close can you fit the bulbs to the sides of the viv?

I've seen some viva with heat mats installed on the side, I guess to stop blocking, but is that practical?

I guess another option would be to add an extraction fan at the cool end to help keep the temp down.

Hmm decisions decisions!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000