small body, big snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  16:54:31  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello guys.
recently i've spoken to a couple of people who own burmese pythonns and boa constrictors, both are under 15 years old and all the snakes are over 6ft
I'm trying to decide if I agree with this or disagree... I don't want to be 'that person' who says snakes are dangerous but at the same time i'm 22 years old, 100kg and 6ft1. And I struggle very much to handle pandora alone, i'm not sure if these kids know what they've gotten them,selves into.

any opinions on this? What age should we consider safe to handle big snakes? Do we base it on height and strength or knowledge?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  17:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...when it comes to knowledge, I'd be in favour of a young person, or for that matter a person of any age new to snakes who has a thirst for knowledge and who is enthusiastic to learn and care for their snakes. That is what matters.

Physical strength is another matter, but a young person will surely still be living with family or guardians - if help is available for handling a big snake etc in the household and a responsible arrangement/routine regarding handling/supervision/assistance set up, then why not?

Commitment is another thing - a snake is a 30 year commitment at least and I believe thought should be given to this before purchasing.

Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  17:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

What age should we consider safe to handle big snakes? Do we base it on height and strength or knowledge?

Good question and one to which I believe there is no definative answer to.
For example:

What Age?
I have a Staffie, and I see guys in their 20's..30's using these dogs as nothing more than a status symbol, dog fighting.
On the other hand I see teenagers who possess a genuine love and care of animals.

So I really wouldn't put age into the mix except obviously parental consent would be needed.

Height:
Where I wouldn't advise anybody that was say 4 to own a 12' snake lol but then i'm not sure anybody should if alone:

Strength:

Not sure its strength, but technique..head to head battle of strength between a man and large snake of 15'+..my bet would go with the snake..they are afterall pure muscle.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  18:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good points.
I wasn't so much thinking about age required to be responsible for the snake I was thinking more along the lines that an 8ft boa constrictor presents a very real threat to a child, not through a vicious nature or aggression but through sheer strength.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  19:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree I think a child or even a teen wouldn't have the physical strength or actual physical mass to support a big snake. I'm 6'4 and about 95kg, I lift weights regularly and I can only bench press about 50kg, that's a weight that is staying still and controlled. A burm can grow up to about my bodyweight it wont be staying still, I couldn't lift one and I wouldn't have enough surfaces on me to support such a big snake and if they aren't supported they will grip on, most people get into trouble this way slinging a big snake over their shoulders, not properly supporting the rest of the body so it grips on, unfortunately your neck doesn't like been gripped.

I think rather than age though it should be a safety in numbers thing. I wouldn't handle a snake that is stronger than I am without enough people around to overpower it if needed. I know that a snake of a size of Kelf's Pandora could potentially get me into a situation where she has the upper hand, I would be reluctant to handle her without someone else there so should anything happen help would be available. I wouldn't be worried about feeding her or changing waterbowls, the general care is something you do with the same consideration to a big snake as you would a small one. This isn't about big snakes been dangerous either, they're not if they are handled correctly.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  21:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is a difficult question to answer, firstly being 15 year old are they telling the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth :D are the snakes theirs or the parents.

My kids have snakes, corns and royals, is there snakes however I am responsible for those snakes not my kids. While yes they feed and water them cleant them out etc The snakes are ultimately my responsibility. Is it the same for these kids.

So before we all go kiddy bashing, is a fave pastime of mine, look at the possibility their parents are the same as me and they infact have the ultimately responsibility of the snake and may well be there when the snakes are being handled.

If the above is the case I have no problems with kids having large snakes.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  21:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think maybe it should be a combination of, age, strength (maybe wrong word, more handling technique) and knowledge. also i think the seller should make sure the buyer knows what they are in for with a fully grown burm/boa even if this involves getting the buyer to prove they can handle one fully grown.

i would love to own a burm but being realistic i don't think i could handle the strength. im only a small bloke at 5ft 7 and 9.5st (9st cowboy lol)) but strong for my size due to my job. i have held large snakes on my own, the largest being a 9ft common boa but she was lazy and just sat around my shoulders. but a fully grown active burm would be a different story

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  11:12:31  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i dont think it should go on age as has been said, i think it should go on the actual person. im 16, and the shop i do voulantry work in has a big 7ft boa, and i have had to move her a couple of times, and have not really had a problem with her, she is heavy, but i manage on my own, and could manage at home with her.
i think if the person is strong enough mentally and physiclly, and knows there stuff then i dont see a problem. as long as they also follow the rules for larger snakes, anthing over 10ft needs 2 people, over 15ft needs 3 people etc...

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  09:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i reckon it'd deffo be a case of close supervision with a snake larger than 6 feet at that age. i wouldnt go over that on my own with what can be an extreemly strong animal. also depends on the temperment of the snake i think.
like gmac said tho, its probably a parents (surely no shop would sell a teen a burm??) snake that they help look after and as such they wouldnt be handling on their own?

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000