Rats!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matco
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  16:34:45  Show Profile  Click to see matco's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I live in stourport, Worcestershire
Where is the nearest place to buy rats?
And I've only ever fed her mice so far 20g mediums what size rat should I go for? Her body weight is 150g
And finally are rats going to be better for her? I know there are a lot of debates on the forum about it.
Many thanks, Matt

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  17:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I think you will need rat fluffs, but a shop will weigh them for you to make sure. 20g sounds fine for her weight. It's a good guide to feed 10/15% of a royal's bodyweight.

Rats are chiefly better for royals because of their size. When she's adult, feeding her one rat as opposed to several mice is going to be a lot more convenient.

Any decent local rep shop ought to stock frozen rats but maybe someone in your area will know of a good one.

Go to Top of Page

matco
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  17:29:02  Show Profile  Click to see matco's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks again bats
Just noticed your on here a lot and always answer my posts, just like to say thanks again x
As for local places for rats, still not seen any yet :(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  17:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Matco - my pleasure.

What about the place you get your mice from - don't they sell rats? I could recommend a couple of good online shops but this means buying in bulk, if only because the rodents won't thaw out overnight, which is only a viable option if you've got loads of snakes or can share the cost of a consignment/delivery with friends.

Hope someone comes along soon who knows your area and the best place to buy rats...

Go to Top of Page

matco
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  17:54:16  Show Profile  Click to see matco's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to venture to petszone is prestwood, an ok shop with quite a few different breeds and a keeper who is an enthusiast with many snakes of his own, mine from his own collection. Sadly they don't sell rats. I now buy mice from pets at home just because it's 2 miles away, but no rats :(
Would be good to find some, she is a great feeder, Im pretty sure she would eat every day if she could!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  18:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I was pretty isolated in Wakefield - well, I would be if not for online shopping.

There is a local rep shop but not sure if that sells rats; there's a Kennelgate just up the road and this did used to sell frozen rats and mice, maybe still does, so if there's one in your area, could be worth checking out.

You're near Kidderminster I believe, where there is a huge yearly rep show ...you'd think there'd be places selling frozen rats, even if you had to make a special trip and buy a bagful, but I suppose online has undermined small suppliers ...

If no-one comes on here with any advice, could be worth asking on such as rfuk, see if anyone on there can shed some light on the problem?

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

matco
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  18:37:52  Show Profile  Click to see matco's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cool thanks bats
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000