New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  16:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys I am in need of as much info as I can get regarding the use of RUB's, my very understanding other half gave me the green light for a few more snakes the other day, as long as they don't take up the whole house, so although I would much prefer viv's I need to do the whole RUB rack thingy, so having never used one I need some info...(these are all adults I'm talking about.

1, 50ltr or bigger if so how big.
2, how many holes and where is best to place them.
3, what's the best place to put the stat probe.
4, and finally I know a pulse or mat stat will do but what's the best.

Many thanks and keep those lovely answers coming, cause you can never have to much information before you decide to mess it up anyway lmao

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  16:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Check out www.youtube.com/kelfezond on that channel is a video named Kelfezond - How to set up a RUB

Should give you the basics :D

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers mate.

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no authority on RUBs but recently I acquired a third-hand pulse stat and I'm amazed at how accurately it maintains temp - my mat stats and dimmers are always drifting but I had the pulse set up in an empty viv (with a ceramic) for a few days with a spare digital thermometer to monitor it, and it maintained a constant temp to a tenth of a degree.

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  16:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i work it like this,
1)yup, i use 50l
2)got two squares of holes either side of the rub, at either end (if that makes sense?) i put 45 small (screwdriver width because thats what i used to make them) per square of holes. think so long as your getting good airflow and no condensation youve got the right amount.
3)in my rack its in the groove with the cable about half way along the top shelf, but iv only just built it so may move it somewhere more suitable if it doesnt work out well there.
4)i just used a pulse stat with the right wattage for my heat cable, not really sure which brand is best.
hope that helps bud, iv been finding it loads easier to clean them out etc quickly since iv had them in a rack.

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  16:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers joandapril thats great thanks for the info

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  17:16:41  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1, yes 50l really usefull boxes are the best IMO
2, I put 3 rows of 6 holes using a soldering iron , ones on the hot end/ heat mat at the bottom right and cool end at the top left On the rubs I have lids on
3,on my rack i just went round with some gaffer tape then hot glue gunned it down so it don't move and at the back (will post the size of heat mat later)
As for my wooden rack I find as I run a pulse for three heat mates I buy a little 0.6 I think really useful box and put the probe in there hot glue gunned down with substrate in it and then hot glue gun it down at the back of the heat mat ,so I don't have any probes in my snake boxes
4, i found on/off types rubbish IMO you can't beat a Habistat pulse stat some use dimming but I like using pulses

This is the way I do things and other it may differ

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 11/01/2012 17:19:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page