New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  09:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Misters weight when I got him at about a month olds was 94gms in October, well after his shed I weighed him in at 106gms just before Christmas...in almost two months hed gained nothing and I was starting to worry.

OH came down and spent a few hours calling him a caterpillar/worm, we went and got medium mice for him, I took his feeding up to 1 medium every 4 days, after one giant poop yesterday I weighed him in at 140gms.

I know hes a baby and hes not gonna start fasting yet, but i want him to be at a good weight for next year if he decides to start...so things are going well, and upping the food has really helped, even if it means i dont get "armchair walkies" so much...

I really see hes gaining weight now and it makes me happy :) porky little snake

1.0.0 Royal Python, Mister
0.0.1 Cornsnake, Carly/Charly
0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
1.1.0 Children, Ellen & Oscar

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  11:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good to hear hes gaining weight my little one frank did not put much on till i upped the food size. he was 98g in june an is now just under 300g an had been fasting for nearly 2 months. its better to feed every 5 days as gives them a break from digesting an some time to build the stomach acid back up

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  12:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep its good he is gaining weight but as a baby that normal. Its not a race though to get them as heavy as possible as quickly as possible, feeding every 4 days or less is classed as power feeding. Their digestive system is just not designed to be digesting all the time. I have a HUGE male who is 1200grams and just over a year old, he was only ever fed every 7 days so it shows they dont need to be fed so much, oh and he fasted for 4 months (August to December) and lost practically no weight at all so don't think its essential to feed them up in readiness by the time winter comes round your little lad will be huge feeding him normally.

Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  14:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see the digestion problem and take note, I will leave it an extra day now before feeding him to let his dinner go down more.

I got worried because I was seeing no growth at all...he was getting longer but was relatively slender. I do see a big difference in him now, his face and pits have gotten larger. This is not a forever solution, just wanted him to gain a bit more mass.

I also got myself a better mouse supplier who gives a descent size as I was having problems where i was buying medium mice the size of fluffs. Now there a bit more substantial and leave a little bump in his body which is good. He now goes off after his dinner and sleeps it off where as before he was just nosing about for more.

I see no change in him until now and its very exciting but im not going to overdo it. I wanted to see him hit 150gms before i went back to 7 day feeds and were almost there...

1.0.0 Royal Python, Mister
0.0.1 Cornsnake, Carly/Charly
0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
1.1.0 Children, Ellen & Oscar
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  11:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a thrill when you can see him gaining weight and I was like you, couldn't wait, lol. Oscar was fed every 5 days from small mice to large mice. Now he's on extra large mice every 7 days and he's gaining weight very, very nicely. Patience Carly and you'll see him grow. :o)

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.

Edited by - Lorraine on 12/01/2012 11:11:15
Go to Top of Page

scott da bot
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  12:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just realised that the mice I've been feeding Betsy are nowhere near 10-15% of her Body weight,so I'm gonna try and offer her 2 instead of the usual 1.
Poor girl I think I've been underfeeding her.

0.2 Normal, Betsy + Delilah
1.0 Pastel (AJ)
Go to Top of Page

matco
Hatchling

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  12:23:50  Show Profile  Click to see matco's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Similar story to mine, upped to 5 days now and seems more content and can see how she's gaining, now nearly 2ft long and 150grams! Looks in great shape, just tryin to find rats for her now
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000