Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  15:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always had cats, and since this lot wouldn't fit on my new sig, I think it's time they had a thread of their own.

The finest catty days were in the 80s and 90s, when I bred Siamese and also had assorted moggies, and had to retire from breeding when the cat count got to 10.

By the late 90s most of this lot were geriatric ...even when an animal has lived a full and imperious life and ruled you with a rod of iron, saying goodbye is very sad ...when I parted from my husband and moved here in 1999 I had just three cats, including the last Siamese, to bring with me, and eventually old age, and a lymphoma in the case of Annie the Siamese claimed them too. That was it, I said. No more cats. I didn't want any more cats. Well, I wanted my old cats back, but couldn't have them. So, no more cats.

However, and it's a long story, then, in 2002, I met up with this lot. They had had a home of sorts but it wasn't good and eventually the owner moved out and left them - though by that time they'd latched on to me as a provider of grub and Emily, the first and wildest, even kindly brought me five kittens. One by one across the street. All ginger!

Emily is extremely possessive and bossy. There are times when I'm sure she's a reincarnation of my first Siamese. Here she is in 'we are not amused' mode. But when you get to know her, she smiles a lot ...

Mouse is her cousin. It's a silly name, but Emily, and Mouse's mother, Tess, brought her to my cellar window one day (cellar known as the local feline 'drop in centre'.) I saw this funny little stunted half grown kitten, with short bandy legs and a perfect Siamese head, and said, 'Hullo, Mouse!' The name stuck. She grew and tamed and is now a long-legged beauty with a rich plushy coat and the loudest purr in the world. She's still very shy though and, as you can see, has a lot in common with a royal python ...

Third cat is Finn. He didn't have a home. He was a feral tomcat and his only interest was the un-neutered females. Occasionally he'd favour me with an icy glance but there was no getting near him. Two of Emily's kittens were definitely his, and one of Tess's (oh yes, I got Tess's kittens as well; in fact that's how she got her name, as when I first met her she had a bellyful of little D'Urbervilles ...)

After the girls moved in with me, and the CPL had neutered them for me and rehomed the kittens, Finn reappeared. He was getting on a bit by now. He was thin. He was hungry. He had a huge abscess on his backside. He began to accept food and one day I tricked him with a titbit of tuna into climbing into a cat carrier. The vet had been prewarned and that afternoon, poor Finn, confused and groggy, returned to me, emerged from the carrier, and sat down for a wash ...

He cocked up a hind leg, and recoiled. Where the hell had his balls gone????

I never thought he'd speak to me again. But he did, and soon he moved in. Spraying was a problem. He was a walking water feature at first and the house stunk. But eventually he grew out of it, and he is the friendliest cat ever, which, considering his background, is amazing. I swear he's half golden labrador!

A last word ...my lovely Tess was run over 5 years ago. Still very sadly mourned. The back yard is now wired in and they no longer roam the streets.

So that is the story of Bats' cats. Thanks for looking!

Edited by - n/a on 14/01/2012 15:29:16

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  15:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely cats Bats..and super pics.
Sorry to hear about Tess, lost a few like that but nothing takes away the sadness.

LOL On a personal note, I could tell you a few tales about the cats that I have had, including a litter of newborns I stole from a farm (They used to shoot them once running around) and hand reared all of them :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  16:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Janie ...good on you for stealing that litter! (I had to steal Tess's lol.) Yes, certain neighbours in this street were all for getting the big animal charity to 'deal with' these cats and kittens ...one person from the animal charity said that they'd be willing to come and kill them ...luckily they all sailed into calm waters; Emily's mother, who I haven't mentioned (Charlotte the Harlot - she'd go with anyone lol) went into labour in a neighbour's house and was whisked away, with kittens, to a CPL rescue place.

Makes me so angry when animals are neglected and abandoned and then targeted as a 'nuisance' when all they need is a little love and care ...

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  21:33:22  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
awww gorgeous kitties BATS, they all look and sound such characters!!

I'd love a cat myself but no can do says Mr Landlord... booooo!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  21:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mystra, and bugger the landlord - since you're moving I hope it's to a cat-friendly pad and you can have your own kitties - a house is not a house without at least one cat!

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  22:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emily is lovely BATS,

we lost our cat to old age last month (23) cracking animals cats.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  22:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and the warm top of a viv ....

is ideal for a sleepy geriatric cat ...zzzzzz

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  22:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMac

Emily is lovely BATS,

we lost our cat to old age last month (23) cracking animals cats.

Thanks GMac I'll tell her - though Madam's quite conceited, bad as Ziska lol!

23??? Your lass lived to 23? That's great (although it must have been awful to lose her) One of mine to lived to be 18 but I reckon the average is 15.

Awful to lose any animal ...just wish they could live for ever ...

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  22:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

23??? Your lass lived to 23? That's great (although it must have been awful to lose her) One of mine to lived to be 18 but I reckon the average is 15.

Awful to lose any animal ...just wish they could live for ever ...

did think that cat would outlive us at one stage, was more stubborn than me lol

side note, have emailed you. can you see if its come through please ;)

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  22:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup - lol - replied

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  09:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lovely cats. your right a house is not the same without cats.

since moving in with the oh i have learnt to tell the 5 cats apart from the sound of the bells on their collars and their meow before they come into sight

just a shame they can't wait to be fed on a morning, 5 cats running around your feet when your half asleep is not good lol

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  12:08:45  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Mystra, and bugger the landlord - since you're moving I hope it's to a cat-friendly pad and you can have your own kitties - a house is not a house without at least one cat!

that's the plan actually :D we've seen a few where there's a cat in the pictures of the flats so it must be allowed!

We really want to adopt an old cat, keep seeing Battersea posting some really gruffly old charmers for adoption on Facebook, and i keep falling in love!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  12:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Blackskull - oh boy, tell me about it! Mine have a genius for being under my feet, especially Finn. I swear he plans it beforehand - in fact I've always said that cat is like a husband ...he's under my feet when I'm busy, he takes up all the room in the bed, and he stinks the bathroom out ...lol, love him though. Little horror.

Hi, Mystra, that's a brilliant idea - kittens have a far better chance of finding homes but older cats can be very difficult to rehome. The CPL and the RSPCA had been called out by my neighbours to Tess and Charlotte's home a few times and had actually removed some kittens but when I became involved they said that they would take the kittens but neuter the adults and leave them 'on site' - in other words, if the cats hadn't been moving in with me, they would have had to be dependant on street residents feeding them. No shelter, nothing.

If I ever got another cat, it would be an adult - well, I'm always available if a stray wants to take up residence, as long as it gets on with my lot, well, one did for some years, the redoubtable Ali Kat, but that is another story ...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  11:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm always available if a stray wants to take up residence, as long as it gets on with my lot

Oh boy ...famous last words ...

This morning, just settling down for a nice lie-in, heard something crying in the street ...a kitten.

I knew a neighbour had recently got a kitten; their car wasn't there ...surely they hadn't gone to work and left her out - or had she run off and they'd lost her?

I got up and investigated ...on another doorstep, a ginger kitten, mewing loudly. I picked her up and knocked. No reply. She was wet and shivering. What else could I do but bring her in?

I left a note with the people whose doorstep I found her on but don't think they're the type to have a cat; have made contact with the other neighbour; their girl is safely indoors.

It's 3 hours since I found her - a large 'FOUND' sign is in my front window, and Kitten has had a meal and is having lanigans with he fishtank.

Lol.

My own cats are upstairs and not best pleased, but coming from a large feral community and occasionally being joined by a neighbourhood cat for a free meal, are more laid back than most about catty visitors.

Ah. Postscript. Just been visited by one of the local gossips (who are into everything, and what they can't get to know, improvise freely - 'nough said.) According to this one, kitten is in the novelty wearing off phase, and not the first in this situation; according to this person they get cats and let the neighbours feed them when they get tired of them. (However, gossip is spiteful in this street.)

Kitten doesn't look that neglected to me, as you can see in the pic. So I've left a note with the alleged owners ...if they have got tired of her and don't collect her, she can stay here with me ...oh boy, why do I get myself into these situations. But I couldn't leave her out there wet and shivering.

Time will tell I suppose ...in the meantime I have a new catty visitor ...

Edited by - n/a on 18/01/2012 11:31:02
Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  11:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Bats are you trying to live up to the comment you left in one of my threads?

*chuckles* Its sweet that you took the kitten in tho :) You may have an extra kitty cat now.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Popeye, African Grey
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  12:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

LOL Bats are you trying to live up to the comment you left in one of my threads?

*chuckles* Its sweet that you took the kitten in tho :) You may have an extra kitty cat now.

Which comment was that?

Hmmm, just keeping my fingers crossed that the gossips are right for once and that no-one turns up, I hate talking to people and just hope there's no drama ...yeah, couldn't leave her out there though ...

Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  15:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Sorry, no knight in shining armour but just the crone from the witch's cottage lol ...
[quote][i]

That one, had me chuckling for ages..and you have a black cat!
I have my fingers crossed for you and the kitty :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Popeye, African Grey
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  15:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, lol, I see ...but of course! Goes without saying!

I've still got her. She's been introduced to Emily and Finn and she and Emily had a singing match but now all's quiet on the western front...nobody's been round to claim her although I still have the notice up in my window in case my kind neighbour was just stirring it.

I shall just have to wait and see...

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  17:24:09  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, lol, I see ...but of course! Goes without saying!

I've still got her. She's been introduced to Emily and Finn and she and Emily had a singing match but now all's quiet on the western front...nobody's been round to claim her although I still have the notice up in my window in case my kind neighbour was just stirring it.

I shall just have to wait and see...

awww, how nice to have a visitor.. that might become a permanent resident!

Speaking of which, browsing gumtree today found an ad for kitten for sale because the owners were moving, turns out this cat isn't even theirs! They says it's one they feed and it visits regularly but they are trying to sell it!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/gorgeous-black-and-white-female-cat-is-looking-for-a-place-to-call-home/94849182

why feed a cat and encourage it to visit often if you aren't sticking around anyway... really annoyed me! Lots of outdoor cats make friends with whoever gives them a full belly, doesn't mean they can take on the right of rehoming said cat when they leave... some poor owner will be wondering why their moggy hasn't come home!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  18:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they should never have encouraged her if they couldn't offer her a permanent home. Or they should have traced the owner or if no owner contacted the CPL as soon as she started to come round. A lot of cats will go on the prowl for free dinners and their owners don't even know they're 'playing away'.

Well, my little catty guest has gone, 9 hours after I found her, and I hope her owners keep her in in future ...

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  19:12:44  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, they should never have encouraged her if they couldn't offer her a permanent home. Or they should have traced the owner or if no owner contacted the CPL as soon as she started to come round. A lot of cats will go on the prowl for free dinners and their owners don't even know they're 'playing away'.

Well, my little catty guest has gone, 9 hours after I found her, and I hope her owners keep her in in future ...

awww, nice to hear they are reunited, although i'm sure she'd have had a wonderful life with you!

I did used to think cats should be allowed out, then after talking with others who keep them in, and their reasons, i very much agree with them, keep those kitties in! Maybe if i lived out in the sticks with no roads it would be fine having a naughty tom cat wandering the wilds and catching mice, but anywhere else where there's roads and nasty people about, keep them indoors and safe!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000