New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  19:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saw this in the paper. makes me mad that people will just dump the animal like this it only takes a couple of phone calls or a look online to fimd someone who would rescue it. laughed a little where they say its deadly. i have no experiance with big snakes an would see this one as possibly a bit dangerous but not deadly in the right hands of course

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086205/Scott-Adams-finds-huge-snake-dumped-doorstep-Telford.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  19:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"Mr Adams carefully unwrapped the snake after finding it on Monday but has since had his elbow fractured by the massive snake after being bitten while posing for pictures."

Sounds like absolute nonsense to me.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  19:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deadly ....

DEADLY??????

LOL!!

Newspapers are only good for wrapping up fish and chips or hanging up in the dunny ...

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  10:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how the hell would it fracture his elbow?? unless it struck and he threw himself on the deck like a big whuss!

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  13:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelf is that your comment on there?

It amazes me how many times they use the word 'deadly' when referring to reptiles that clearly are not. maybe if it was full grown in the wild and you were swimming in the swamp where it was hunting you may be in danger but at that size with correct handling the worse it could do is bite you.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  13:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep it is, it angered me enough to bloody register and post.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  13:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost did too. I put 2 and 2 together and decided you'd said what needed saying.

Its a total joke how these reporters talk so much rubbish and get paid for it.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  13:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tell me about it, what annoys me most is the guy who obviously works with reptiles making his story sound big and scary to look big and brave when he should know how much damage it does to the snake keeping community. Some of the comments on there were awful, things like 'i'd hate one of my neighbours to have one of these' ... Why? What possible harm would that do you? .. Idiots

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  13:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if he actually said some of that stuff. The funny thing is my neighbours know I have snakes and tarantulas and she isn't bothered so long as I don't have any mice or rats. I wonder what the reporter would say about my OBT.

Belfast man keeps deadly eight legged monster in bedroom. Just one bite from this savage beast....

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  14:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha yeah I can just imagine! Nobody ever complains about living near a zoo lol, my security is almost as good xD

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  15:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Some of the comments on there were awful, things like 'i'd hate one of my neighbours to have one of these' ... Why? What possible harm would that do you? .. Idiots

disagree people are entitled to their own opinions. What you have to remember fear of reptiles is a natural human instinct, while we obviously dont mind them some people are absolutely terrified of them and to call these people idiots for having that fear isnt right, their fear is to be respected. How many posts do you read daily saying my snake has escaped there are a few ;). Is one reason we have not told our direct neighbours about any of our animals they have a fear of everything non human.

As for the bite busting the guys arm a bite alone wont, but a bite hold twist and constrict could well do some severe damage especially at the size of the beast. Not saying that is what happened but it is possible.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  15:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Disagree completely Gmac, i'm terrified of spiders and horses but i'd not say something stupid about people keeping one in the house next to me. (well maybe the horse that might be a bit weird in a house)

it's not fear it's a lack of education and an opinion blown out of proportion by the media.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  15:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fear is nothing to do with education, fear is fear take me for example i will not go up in glass elevators why because i have a fear of falling, I dont need educating on this as i have designed enough of these to know im not going to fall.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  15:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
True, true. I do see your point but I think the people in this example aren't afraid of snakes they''re afraid of snakes eating them, which is like being afraid of ghosts or something else equally impossible.
Like i'm not afraid of horses i'm afraid of horses kicking me, i've seen them do it, I know they can do it. I don't know anyone who knows of a snake eating anybody.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  16:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doubt it has anything to do with being eaten, although this is entirely possible I have the photo to prove it. I reckon it has more to do with venom ;)

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  16:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
****, that's the last time I hold pandora.

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a lot of people who used to be terrified of snakes.

You can split these people (that I know, there are others out there that go into other categories) into two categories.

1. People with a lack of education about snakes who hence have a sense of wariness to all snakes. They do not know that large constrictor's are not venomous and they don't usually realise how placid snakes can be. I can think of at least 4 people who have been like this when they first met my girl. Those same people now walk right up to her tank and ask for photos of her round their necks etc. I consider myself to have 'educated' them in some respects and they now tell other people how 'it's weird, they aren't slimy, they feel quite cool- she's really curious and inquisitive.
There are also some that say, 'I'm sorry, she sounds really cool but I've got a phobia to snakes, I know it's totally irrational but it's just the way I am'. I consider these people to have a fear of snakes but I don't call them stupid- they are educated but they are still fearful. That is okay.

2. Then you get people who come out with phrases such as: "I hate snakes", "all snakes are poisonous", "pythons eat people", "you only keep a snake cos its fangs have been taken out so it can't kill you", "snakes are slimy and disgusting". I usually give some words of encouragement to these people and explain a few facts to them and quite often they move into the other category. However, some will ignorantly remain in category two despite what people tell them. It is these people that I consider to have a 'stupid fear' of snakes and I don't waste my time with them once I workout what sort of people they are.

And a key point that I'd like to point out is that just because you're scared of something doesn't mean that it makes that thing, 'deadly' or 'killer'. I mean I once had a phobia of locusts (I was 5, cut me some slack) but I never thought of them as killer or deadly. In fact I got over my phobia (it doesn't fly well in a house full of lizards snakes, parrots, terrapins and a big african lion hound) simply but keeping a couple as pets in a tank- watching them jump around and feeding them lettuce. That was education.

Anyway I'm gonna stop now because I'm starting to waffle, please tell me if some of this has made sense.

@ Kelf, I totally agree with you about the media hyping things up. Whenever there is some sort of dog attack the sun gets on it and refers to the breed as 'deadly [insert name here]. So simple minded! One day a chiwawa is gonna maul someone and the sun will talk about the 'made for mauling'...'killer chiwawa'.

0.0.3 Koi Carp

Edited by - frambo on 17/01/2012 22:18:24
Go to Top of Page

lilcaz83
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  09:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL ... when i clicked on that link i didnt expect it to be someone i know .. went to college with Scott many years ago.

Didn't realise he ran a reptile encounter business, he was touring with his rock band .. Enemy Of The State - look it up!

Paul | Jack | Nimrod | Bo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000