A Few Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  10:21:23  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys sorry to be a complete newb but i want to make sure i get everything right so if its ok ive made a short list of questions

1. How often will my royal shed is it the same as corn snakes once a month or so when young gradually lessening as the snake gets older

2.I plan to provide a damp hide during shedding whats best to put inside it ?

3.I know aubiose is fine to use as substrate for my corns is it ok to use for the royal too are they any substrates i should avoid (i know to avoid pine and cedar)

4.Do royals like to climb i was initially led to believe that corns were primarily ground dwellers but i added branches to the enclosures and found mine love to climb and wondered if i shpould add branchs for my royal ?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my questions

Paul

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."..Terry Pratchett

Edited by - paulie78 on 24/01/2012 10:22:31

wiseman94
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  12:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. I've always found around about once a month when young and lessens as time goes on.

2. I put mine in the hot end, which will provide more humidity.

3. I don’t know about aubiose but I use aspen or unprinted newspaper.

4. Some royals climb, some don't. I've always given mine the option to climb in their viv's, and if they don't bother branches etc make some nice decoration.

1.0 100% HET Royal Python
0.1 Albino Royal Python
0.1 Spider Royal Python
1.0 Pastel Royal Python
1.1 Lesser Royal Pythons
1.3 Normal Royal Pythons
0.1 Mojave Royal Python
1.0 Orange Ghost Royal Python
1.0 Dumerils Boa
1.1 Red tail Boas
1.1 BRB's
1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
1.0 Giant day Gecko
2.0 Indian Star Tortoise
0.1 Girlfriend

Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  12:12:11  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Ok my royal does not seem to have a shedding
Pattern but I would say roughly for me it has been
every 3 months or so.
For use in a moist hide I use sphagnum moss
Which you can buy in a brick from most reptile
shops just add hot water and it grows to ten times the
size then just add it to the moist hide when your snake
goes into shed . You have so much of this stuff
I put it into freezer bags frezze it an use as an when needed.
I use aspen as a substrate but I have not heard any negatives about
aubiose but if there are any I'm sure someone will put you straight.
as far as climbing goes I don't think royals are the best climbers, although
I have several branches and vines in my viv, everynow an again I see
him climbing generally followed by a little thud as he falls
off, I hope this has been of some help to you.
Have fun and good luck, this forum is a fountain of knowledge
so you should pick up loads of useful tips.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  12:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No snake has a shedding pattern, they shed when they need to and this is based on lots of factors. When they shed they dont need a massive lift in humidity, I just throw a damp cloth over the hot side hide and spray the foliage once to just give it a kick. You can put a damp cloth in and save the mess of moss. All reptile safe substrates are fine just avoid the higher humidity substrates like eco earth etc. Royals are ground dwelling mainly but lots of them will climb if they get the chance.

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  14:35:03  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys youve given me some food for thought sounds like the only thing i need to buy now then is some spaghnum moss ill add some branches eventually and see what happens at least if he has them he can climb if he wants too

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."..Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  23:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oscar's cool hide is a tupperware box. When he's due to shed, I put damp kitchen towel folded over on the base and he spends ages in there. Sometimes I also put a damp flannel in the warm end. I did use sphagnum moss a couple of times in his hide, but it's so messy and the paper kitchen towel does just as well.

He's shedding about once a month at the moment too, but he's not a year old yet.
I have some nice branches and sometimes he'll go on them and sometimes not. When I first got him, for the first couple of months he used to climb up and rest on the top of his plant where the sucker is, so yes, they do climb.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000