New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  21:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OH bought a Asian Forest Scorpion today and was hoping you could share some of your experience and knowledge on how to care for one as you have one too. It's mostly feeding that we aren't 100% about as not many places say how often they need feeding.

This one is a fully grown male called Brynner (after Yul Brynner)

I don't think he liked the trip home.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  20:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an adult I would say once a week as a start, if he starts to look bloated then you can reduce the size of food or the frequency of feeds. You can see whether they are full or not by the spacing between their armour plating. I feed my juvenile one to twice a week with a roach. Since switching to roaches Sally wont touch crickets, fussy thing.

The pose in the pictures isn't an overly annoyed pose, its slightly defensive, full defensive pose is claws fully opened and extended forward bum raised right up and stinger over the top, its menacing even with my little one.

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  21:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will try feeding him at the weekend then and put one at a time in until he's had enough. The OH's wanted one for ages and we finally got a good deal. Everything including Brynner for £50.

We've had the fully defensive pose since and it's quite intimidating when their fully grown. He's quite big but i quess your's will be get a bit bigger being female.

They managed to loose him in the shop before we bought him. They left him on the counter while they showed us another one and when we turned back he was gone lol. They finally found him on the floor behind the counter.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  22:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I call her a she, its unknown at the moment, she seems to have the more female pincers but only time will tell. They take forever and a week to eat their food, such a slow process, bit like watching a breakers yard crunch up a car. Sally is super secretive when eating though, only seen it once through a tiny gap until she turned around.

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  23:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy in the shop sexed Brynner by checking underneath him but not sure what he was looking for and don't think i'll be picking him up to see myself. The OH wants to have a go at handling him every so often the nutter.

We've got him in a glass tank so watching him is quite easy. I'll try to film him feeding on Friday when we give it ago.

I got some shots so you can tell how big he is.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  23:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh he is nice. They look at a comb type thing underneath, not entirely sure myself but it touches the ground and feels vibrations or something.

You probably need to put some things in the tub for him to hide under, fake leaves, moss etc, they naturally rustle about underneath leaf litter. Soil of some sort would also make a better substrate, I use the coco stuff from Pets at home, its a brick you add water to and it makes 9 litres of soil they like to burrow to an extent. I just ripped up some fake foliage and chucked it in, put a piece of bark in too and she made a burrow under it.

Edited by - Lotabob on 31/01/2012 00:01:38
Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  11:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's got some bark and a log to hide under but i'll tell the OH about getting some fake leaves to put around. I think we will be getting soil next time.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000