New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  18:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So i finally moved Charlie into his new viv on monday after all the helpful advice here. Really pleased with it and it looks great. Charlie is still settling in but he seems ok, spending most of his time in the cool end hide.

Its a 3 foot vivexotic LX36 with a 150w ceramic bulb on a pulse stat. Hot end is 32 and cool end is 27. These are pretty much rock solid stable now. Ive used aspen bedding and a load of plastic plants, wood and a big flat rock at the warm end too. Large water bowl at the cool end ans a small one at the hot end.

Humidity, left to its own devices is 17%! I've been spraying twice a day all week in the hope it will come up and stay a bit higher, but i forgot to spray this morning and its down to 17 again when i got home from work.

Is this normal for viv's or am i missing something?

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  18:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you move the water bowl closer to the hot end it will help with the humidity, just play around an you will find the right spot to put it

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  19:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found the ceramics do dry out the air much more than IR - yes, as Chris says, putting the water bowl in the hot end and maybe adjusting its position is a good idea. I don't really care for spraying in wooden vivs as, despite sealing, moisture can swell and rot the panels.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  19:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It couldn't possibly be 17% without a dehumidifier running in a totally sealed room. The probe must be too close to the bulb. Move the probe about one inch off the substrate away from the bulb and NOT in direct line of sight of the bulb. if its too close to the bulb the air in the sensor will be dried out even if the air around it is moist.

Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  22:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, i'll have a play about.

Interesting bob, it is a new thermometer with humidity reading too. Its at the cool end in the back corner a couple of inches off the floor. I'll stick the probe from my old one in and see what that says, maybe the new thermometer isn't very accurate!
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  03:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesA

Thanks all, i'll have a play about.

Interesting bob, it is a new thermometer with humidity reading too. Its at the cool end in the back corner a couple of inches off the floor. I'll stick the probe from my old one in and see what that says, maybe the new thermometer isn't very accurate!

Yes, putting the big water bowl on the hot end will increase your humidity some.

What's the humidity in the room? If it's a lot higher than inside the viv, you might be able to get it higher by opening more air flow - you might need to figure out a balance with the temps.

If you still need a bump, you can use cypress instead of aspen bedding and that will help some.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  11:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well,looks like the new thermometer isn't much cop for humidity readings. Its currently reading 21% and my old one is showing 42% with the probes next to each other. Think i'll swap them over! Bit of a pain as i bought the new one so i could get it all in place before i moved the snake in.

The room is usually 55% give or take but its dropped to 40% at the moment as the heating has been going full belt for the last few days.

What % humidity do you folks usually aim for in your vivs?
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  12:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont measure the humidity but have a stick on one in my room for a rough guide, its usually 55-65%.
i just move water bowls an spray the vivs when their in shed

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  13:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got Charlie out for a feed last night so while he was scoffing his mouse I pulled the dodgy thermometer out and put my old one in. Its much more accurate on the humidity reading. Also shifted the water bowel along towards the warm end and the humidity has come up to 52% so I'm a lot happier. Just uploading some pics and I'll post a new thread over in the photo forum shortly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000