Couple of stupid questions (sorry)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  16:21:57  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

Hi guys really sorry but i have a couple of stupid questions i feel compelled to ask

Shadows been in shed all week and has now gone clear would i be right in assuming that its pretty much the same as the corns and that he will shed in the next few days now or do royals take longer ? ive raised the humidity during the time hes been in shed by placing a damp flannel above the hide at the warm end as i havent been able to get any moss in time (ive ordered some online so ill be ok for next time)

Secondly its always been my plan to swap shadow over to a viv (im picking it up tomorrow but he wont be going in it for a while) id always planned to swap from using a heat mat to a gaurded ceramic bulb when he goes into a viv as im told generally theese are better for them than heat mats ? and should the bulb be on 24/7 as ive seen that some people have them on timers im assuming they use the bulb during the day and heatmat at night which just seems a pain to me as surely there has to be a constant warm end ? is it ok to leave a bulb on continously (if i swap to a bulb itd be on a pulse stat)

Thanks in advance

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."..Terry Pratchett

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  16:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - I find corns and royals much the same - I can usually predict a shed a couple of days from clearing.

And yes, ceramic/pulse is ideal, on 24/7.

And no question is ever stupid!

Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  16:40:52  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi paulie,

I don't really know about corns but all the snakes I have
generally shed around 2-4 days after clearing from the blue phase
this is the best time to up the humidity.

As far as vivs go my royal had always been in one and
on a heat mat until he reached around 800gms now he has
a 100watt ir bulb on a dimmer stat guarded of course.
Which is on 24/7 and holds good temps gets the cool end to around
26 . hope that's of some help.
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  16:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as the the shedding question it's really how long is a piece of string lol as all snakes are different but raising the humidity now he's gone clear is a good idea it should only be a couple of days, if he hasn't done it within a week i'd take the damp flannel out as constant raised humidity isn't good for him.

And for the bulb question yes if your running a ceramic you would need a pulse stat and guard, and it can be left on 24/7 with no problems, if however you decided on an IR bulb you would need a dimming stat and guard which can also be left on 24/7 with no problems. Hope that helps

Sorry Richard we crossed lol

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

Edited by - reptilemadd on 14/02/2012 16:50:37
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  17:23:43  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok now im confused lol whats a dimming stat lol and whats better an infrared bulb or ceramic all my plans had always been based around the pulse stat ceramic bulb route lol thanks for the replies guys i want to do whats best for shadow the breeder told me to him him in a rub till he hits 7-800 grams so atm hes just in a 9ltr rub with a heatmat on a habistaton/off stat ive pretty much got the temps sorted now fluctuates between 31-33 at the warm end

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."..Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  17:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A dimmer stat is one that when it gets to the heat u set it too it turns off till it drops down below the temp and it comes back on again but pulse stats are supposed to be best u just can't use them with any bulb that gives off light I think could b wrong tho

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  18:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as J has said - the dimming stat gives a more accurate temp control and since it dims rather than turning on and off like a mat stat, the light bulb can't flash irritatingly on and off. You can run any heating system on a dimmer stat.

The pulse stat is the most accurate imo; it's continually pulsing on and off (so you can't run it with IR - it would flash all the time) but it's ideal for use with ceramic bulbs.

It's just a matter of preference; I like IR because you can see the snake at night and also you know the bulb's working; but I like ceramic and pulse too because it maintains such an accurate temp.

Go to Top of Page

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  19:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use dimmer stats for my beardies and the temps stay bang on they are pretty good

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  20:08:05  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i had always planned to use pulse ceramic and add leds for lighting on a timer like i do with the corns lol but the infrared is interesting though it sounds like its similar in priciple to an on off stat method which i wanted to avoid i know pulse stats keep a constant temp really appreciate the info though guys

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000