Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 advice needed... caesars eyes are cloudy!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  14:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
i just went to get caesar out for handling and his skin looks ready for shedding and his eyes are cloudy. should i not handle? should i put moss in his hide? warm end or cool end? should i attempt to feed? please advise on what to do. thanks

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  14:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as much info needed as possible due to first time shedding with me
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  14:50:01  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If u r worry, then don't handle him, don't feed him and you can put moss in his hot side hide, that's the best what u can do for now
some people may don't do all that, depending on their royal.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  14:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
move the water bowl into the hot end an mist the viv/rub a couple of times a day.
you can make a moss/damp hide an put that in the warm end or put a damp cloth ontop of the warm hide an re wet it when it drys.
it depends on the snake, some will eat an are fine to handle but others wont eat an can jumpy/bitey.
it wont do any harm not to handle or feed for a week or so, i tend to leave mine alone when in blue unless i need to move something or check them over
good luck with the shed

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  15:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks, he strikes a few times but i needed to take him out to rearrange his water bowl and put moss in his hide lol I'm gonna try and feed but if not then ill just leave him alone
Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  15:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've moved his water into the hot end, put moss in his warm hide with a damp cloth on top. i also sprayed the whole terrarium and put cling film one rate lid so that it keeps the humidity in. i tried feeding him but i don't think he can see as he seemed scared. ill just keep checking on him. how long does it usually take to complete a shed after the eyes go dull?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  16:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a very general guide I'd say a week to 10 days in my experience - but they're all different, some may take more time or less. And I reckon on 48 hours to shedding after the eyes clear - but again, just a rough guide.

Good luck with his shed.

Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2012 :  23:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers BATS, he's retreated to his favourite corner behind his hide under the plant and I've sprayed a few times today. i really hope he has a good shed
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  00:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dnt go overboard, you dont need to cling film the lid, they still require airflow even in shed its kinda an addiction they have to oxygen. Spraying a couple of times a day is also too much, when my Royal starts the shedding process I spray the decor (not the substrate ever) once and then maintain humidity with a damp cloth over the hot side hide. The cloth needs wetting once a day to just keep the humidity up a little bit.

You only do the minimum possible to achieve a good shed, start with only a small change, see how it goes, if your snake has a bad shed you then know that you need to do a bit more next time. Bad sheds are easily fixed so dont worry about it even if it goes bad. You dont have to do much if anything most of the time. Going the whole hog and turning the enclosure into a sauna with soaking wet floor etc is just asking for trouble, Respiratory Infections (RI) and scale rot are caused by too high humidity over a long period of time and scale rot is caused when they are sat in wet or damp places and they get fungal and bacterial infections between the scales.

Go to Top of Page

scott da bot
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  10:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Betsy's first shed was a shred and she has now just finished her second shed with me and it all came off perfectly.
I just sprayed the decor once a day and seems to have worked fine

0.2 Normal, Betsy + Delilah
1.0 Pastel (AJ)
Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  21:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers lotabob ill defo keep it to a minimum, shut i spray the moss in his hide as it has all dried out now?
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  21:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah keep it moist. I find taking it out, putting it in a bowl of water and then squeezing out excess before putting it back worked best, spraying it doesn't give it chance to absorb the water. I ditched using moss about a year ago, too messy for my liking a damp cloth does the same job.

Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  21:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ill do that, I'm nervous of lifting his hide up as he will be grumpy because he can't see lol
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  21:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest most of them aren't grumpy, my Royal just becomes quite lethargic and very timid. Though I do tend to leave him alone for the most part.

Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  22:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just had him out. his eyes seem better today. i re-moistened the moss and sprayed the leaves. i noticed he was breathing quite heavily is this normal ? he seemed pretty chilled.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  23:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breathing heavy is a sign they are scared but if its only for a few seconds when you pick them up its them putting more oxygen into an idle body. Sitting idle they slow their body down, slow their breathing, less oxygen required, pick them up, sudden restart, more oxygen required.

Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2012 :  23:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
checked on him today and his eyes are back to normal... is he still going to shed? could someone please explain the process or attach a link so i know what the process is. thanks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  00:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes!

About 48 hours before actual shed, the snake's eyes and skin look normal - puzzled the hell out of me when I first saw it lol.

But he will shed soon - hope it's a good one!

Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  00:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was going to try and feed tomorrow, should i leave it until he's shed? thanks for the info, i thought he decided he wasn't going to shed lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  00:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah - and this will sound really annoying - they're all different. Some will feed in shed, some won't.

I've got to the point where I'll try my corns and Shadrach, but not Ziska, when shedding, and I'll try Sulah too, but not my royals.

Personally, unless you've got another snake to recycle the rat if refused, I'd wait until after the shed - but just my opinion.

Edited by - n/a on 22/02/2012 00:17:28
Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  00:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok cheers, ill give him a try
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic