New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  23:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys just wondering if you could give me some pointers on how best to handle a jumpy little critter, not nippy at all but just any sudden movements scare him half to death bless him. How long and often should I handle to start with? And any other tips. Also when I put him back in his faun he just sat there in the striking position for about ten mins lol, is that just a 'that's enough for today" thing?

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  23:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi :) Kane gets really jumpy by sudden movements, especially if you move near his head! I just keep him hold of him and he settles back down quickly and as for the putting him back, have you tried putting him in so his head is near his hide? If i do this with Kane he just slithers straight into it... I don't know how often to handle him but maybe just about 15 mins would be good till he settles? Im sure someone will give you better advice on that

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  03:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like pretty good advice to me, Austin.

Yeah, most young snakes can be jumpy but royals can be the jumpiest of all, and they ARE headshy at that age - can be at any age in fact although this does get better. The usual guide is to delay handling until after 3 consecutive feeds after the royal's arrival (although there are varying opinions on this) but I know it can feel very frustrating when trying to make friends with a new young royal - you wonder, when on earth is this snake going to trust me? I think the answer is, time and space, and again as Austin says, don't handle for too long at first (unless the snake goes to sleep in your lap) and basically let the snake decide what it wants to do. Royals are very shy snakes on the whole, they do like peace and tranquillity, and it takes them ages to get used to anything and anyone new, but once they decide they enjoy your company there's no stopping them - although even then they will have phases of 'do I know you?' like all snakes. Even a snake who's known you for ages will sometimes 'freeze' like that as if it scarcely knows where it is. (I tend to feel awful if they do that, and apologise, but I reckon that is just snakes lol.)

All the best with him - he WILL get used to you with time and become more confident.

Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  07:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. Well I bought him from my girlfriends brother a few weeks back and he's not missed a feed since he got him which is the start of December. He's an eating machine lol, must weigh at least 30g more than Floyd and they're the same age. It's strange really, ronnie doesnt really want to be picked up but when he is he just wants to explore everywhere and Floyd does want to be picked up, and when he is he's just more than content to sit on me lol. Strange creatures, but I love em lol

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000