Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dalesanders28
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  10:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All
i tried to feed my royal last sunday for the first time since getting him the tuesday before and he didnt take it. since then i have left him alone and not disturbed him in any way, however ive noticed he has been in his hide all the time and not come out.
i am hoping to try feeding him again on sunday.
is there any suggestion in how i should do this?
wave the rodant about?
just lay it on the ground?
i will apreciate any advise.
many thanks
Dale

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  11:47:28  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every snake is different it's all a matter of patience and trial and error. I have 9 royals now and each one feeds in a different way, some enjoy to chase their meal, others only strike if the meal gently touches their nose, some only eat when I leave the food in overnight.
The most popular way i've found is warming rat wirth a hairdryer then offering the food gently to the snakes nose, the hot rat smell being blasted around the room normally gets all my snakes out their hides.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  13:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't get too worried for a while yet cause like kelfezond says all snakes are different some can take a week to settle other could take a month or two

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

mort13
Yearling

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  14:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't get too worried. He most likely just needs more time to settle,some need more than others. They all have their own little ways.
One of my corns took almost 4 weeks to feel settled enough to feed (and they are known as the garbage disposals of the snake world).

1.0.0 Royal Python, 0.1.0 Western Hognose, 4.3.0 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 1.1.0 True Olive House Snakes
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake, 1.0.0 California Kingsnake
0.0.2 Occelated skinks, 1.0.0 Leopard gecko, 0.0.1 Cranwell's Horned frog,
0.1.0 Congo Green mantis, 0.0.1 H.Spinifer, 0.1.0 G.Rosea (RCF)

0.1.0 normal c0ckatiel

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  00:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He might just not be hungry. They fast for months, so they obviously don't starve. I'd try him again on Sunday and I just gently wiggle the mouse in front of Oscar. He soon strikes.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  01:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As kelf has already stressed, no snake is the same, covering 2/3 of his faun with a sheet overnight for a little extra security and privacy really helped to get my ronnie feeding. However, he may just be being a fussy little bugger, as 99% of royals are lol

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  22:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry to much when I first got my royal she went 11 weeks without feeding now she feeds like a little pig.
If research snakes in the wild they can go months without feeding.
A good program to watch is inside natures greats where they dissect a Burmese really interesting helped my understand my snakes a lot better.
Go to Top of Page

Emijolteon
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  03:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like everyone else has already said, don't worry, they once a night, I got my royal yesterday and tonight he ate straight away, best defrost a mouse/rat/gerbil 24-35 hours by heating it on top of the tank in a container. Just try pull it about in a natural motion like a mouse would scamper, stop then move closer to the snake. He'll come around.

HERP A DERP!
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  07:25:34  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nothing left to say just be patient and don't worry, and hopefully you snake will surprise u soon with a strike

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000