New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scottydog
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2012 :  20:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know she's not a Royal but wondered if anyone could help with this skin issue ive noticed today on Madonna.

She shed today for the first time since ive had her, i didn't observe her shedding but afterwards when i got her out to take a look I noticed several patches of discoloured skin, none of them were evident before she shed.

I wondered what you guys think. I'm quite worried.

1.0.0 Royal Python - Jake
0.1.0 Boa Constrictor (BCI) - Madonna
0.0.1 Snow Corn - Ice
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Ash
0.1.0 Normal Corn - Fire
1.0.0 Spider Royal - Diablo

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2012 :  21:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUCH! Done herself a mischief there while shedding. The wound in the second picture looks open, you might need to get yourself some tamedine and keep it clean until it heals over a bit. I suppose you could ask the previous owner about any previous injuries, are they all on the snakes back? Is there a small gap in the viv somewhere in the log or something that its squeezed through and skinned off the new skin?

Check the old skin too it may give some clues as to just what has happened?

They dont look too deep so its more than likely just keeping it clean is all that is required.

Just do a check for sharp objects (is your bulb guarded) and if possible speak to the old owner about past injuries.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2012 :  22:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup mine have appreared with a few little patches like that after a shed , not quite as big or open as one of those , but like bob said get some stuff to put on it and make sure theres no sharp items in the viv . mine had some bad sheds last month and some of it we couldnt get off so left and then noticed some patches like that . normally the next shed sorts them out :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Scottydog
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2012 :  22:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies i will ask the previous owner but there were certainly no signs of injury or scarring prior to this shed.

Ive checked the tank for sharp objects and tight gaps but there are none. The ceramic bulb does have a guard too.

I feel reassured with what you have both said though the fact that the scales look healthy and that keeping it clean should suffice has made me breathe a sigh of relief.

If im honest I have been handling her prior to the shed, she's been fine mood wise but since this has happened i have read somewhere that this can have an effect on the fluid between the layers of skin and could lead to bits of skin sticking and shedding so easily, have you heard of this before? I figured that as she was still quite calm when being handled that i wasn't doing any harm but I think next time she goes blue i'lll leave her be.

0.0.1 Snow Corn - Ice
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Ash
0.1.0 Normal Corn - Fire
1.0.0 Spider Royal - Diablo
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  12:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be very unlikely that contact would cause shedding issues or they would never shed their belly. I know in Geckos and frogs touching them can make them shed their skin but not with snakes.

I put money on it been an old injury that due to a slightly dry shed has reopened a few wounds. Bit like picking off a scab. Just up humidity a bit more next shed, if there is any open parts to the wound keep them clean and dry until they close over. Tamedine is the recommended iodine solution for veterinary use and I think its not too expensive too, a quick wipe over to kill any germs, and just keep an eye on it.

My Duke is actually covered in damaged scales at the moment, his last shed was a bad one and he must have tried removing them with a hammer I think, it will shed out though next time round.

Go to Top of Page

Scottydog
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  14:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah I see. Well thanks for the reply.

0.0.1 Snow Corn - Ice
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Ash
0.1.0 Normal Corn - Fire