Stupid question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  16:38:40  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys ive just swapped my heatmat and rub for the ceramic bulb (100 watts) in the royals viv the temps dont seem to be to be close to what they were with the mat though i havent touchd the stat is this normal and i just need to turn the stat up a lil its a 3ft viv before i swapped the pulse stat was keeping the mat at 32 ive got the stat probe and a digital thermometer directly under the bulb and its reading 29 sorry if im being thick i assumed because i had the stat set correctly for the mat i wouldnt have to adjust it when i swapped to the bulb ?

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."..Terry Pratchett

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  16:57:51  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello,
A little confusing, but I think I get what your saying.
You will need to adjust you stat temp until your
thermometer reaches the desired temp. If you were using the pulse stat
on your matt Im surprised it worked, but it will need adjusting just be patient they take
a while to heat up.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:05:05  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard v

Hello,
A little confusing, but I think I get what your saying.
You will need to adjust you stat temp until your
thermometer reaches the desired temp. If you were using the pulse stat
on your matt Im surprised it worked, but it will need adjusting just be patient they take
a while to heat up.

sorry ill try to make it a lil clearer lol right i sorted out getting my viv stack up this wknd shadows been in a rub till today as i was mising the screws i needed to fit the bulb gaurd so i just put him in the viv with his heat mat attached to the pulsestat which was keeping the temperature nice and steady around 32 today ive fixed the bulb gaurd up and now placed the stat probe and the digital thermomter probe on the base of the viv directly under the bulb the temperature is now only reading around 29 so i was wondering do i need to turn the stat up slightly even though it was working ok before on the mat or is it that they take some time to reach temp ?
sorry if i might sound stupid but this is the first time ive used a pulse stat and bulb setup i just want to get it right

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."..Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Richard says.

Plus - 2 TRP mottos -

No question is ever stupid, and -

Never trust what a stat temp dial says, just keep twiddling the damn thing until your thermometer registers the correct temp. (Bloody stats, awkward things lol.)

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:12:09  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol thanks Bats sorry if my original post wasnt very clear i have this terrible habit of assuming everyone is already on the same page as me DOH! well as i said the stats been fine up till now however its been running a mat not a bulb im new to this royals lark corns are so much easier lol i know not to go by the dial all my corn stats are set differntly yet all in the same temperature ranges lol its mental

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah we overlapped but also meant to say - this all depends on your house/flat, and temp of rooms, but I find that a greater wattage of ceramic is needed as opposed to infra red for some reason ie 100w IR is fine in my 3' vivs but I tend to need 150w ceramic in the same size viv. Again, this is just in my house; everyone's surroundings are different.

Also, if all else fails and you have the stat turned full up and still no improvement in temp, try moving the stat probe further along towards the cold end. This will make the bulb work harder, as long as there is sufficient wattage to achieve the right temp; if not, you may need a stronger bulb. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:16:27  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ahh rightyo thanks well i bought a 100watt bulb as i was told that the 75 watt bulb i was going to buy probably wouldnt be strong enough but could i use an ir bulb on the pulse stat ? are they any better ? its climbing up slowly its now at 30.4 theres no substrate atm though so will it go up or down when i add substrate sorry for the twenty questions as i said i just want to get it right thanks again

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, sadly, no, you can't use an IR with a pulse stat as it will make the red light flash on and off - the snake might not notice but it will irritate the hell out of you.

I'd keep persevering with the ceramic - sounds like the temps are improving already, and, also your house is bound to be warmer than mine so the ambient in your rooms will be higher.

when you add substrate the temp may well go up as the floor (substrate) level will be slightly closer to the bulb.

Good luck - you'll get there!

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:53:23  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ahh i guess id need a dimming stat for an ir bulb then ? thanks for your help the temps not budged past 30.4 so ill give it another hour or so then crank the stat up again.
I have put shadow in the viv now hes cautiously exploring it lol ive never seen him stretched out before hes almost the legnth of the viv id say 5-6 inchs off 3ft hes only 8 months old lol this was him taken the night before last

Edited by - paulie78 on 06/03/2012 17:54:31
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  18:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you'd need a dimmer for the IR - it's dead confusing and I've ranted on in the past about why can't these gismos be manufactured with thermostatic controls like electric blankets, grrr!

Sounds like you're getting there- just keep twiddling about with the stat gauge.

Shadow's a lovely lad!

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  18:48:04  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yes, you'd need a dimmer for the IR - it's dead confusing and I've ranted on in the past about why can't these gismos be manufactured with thermostatic controls like electric blankets, grrr!

Sounds like you're getting there- just keep twiddling about with the stat gauge.

Shadow's a lovely lad!

Im gonna gues its because they can rip us off easier if they sell it to us seperately lol plus theres always those that believe a stats unessacery (wants to slap those people lol)
Ive turned up the stat the emps now at 31.5 theres a lil bit of leway to go so i can still crank it up a bit more if need be
I know hes only a normal but i do think hes a very handsome lad lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000