New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  13:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I woke up to a disaster zone this morning, I noticed straight away the fishy stench of Boa wee on the breeze upon sitting down for my cup of tea and a banana, so finished my breakfast, got a carrier bag and kitchen roll and went in to see what's what. I saw Sanke sat on her branch, she never climbs up off the ground; first clue. I see a huge poop to the right hand side then I spot urates way over in the left hand side; second clue. I open the door and Sanke voluntarily left the vivarium; clue three.

I went to work on the right side first, mapped the flood right over to the middle of the vivarium, set to work cleaning it up, removed the branch stripped the vivarium of its foliage etc so got the right hand side done, set to work on the left and mapped the flood right over to the middle! She had flooded the entire vivarium! A 3 foot wide by 2 foot deep space, no wonder she was climbing up onto the branch, I'd climb a tree if a tsunami happened too.

So it was a full deep clean in the end, good job I have (or should I say had) a sack of bark available.

And of course as she had just very much emptied herself I decided to stick her on the scales, she is now 679 Grams, that's nearly 200 grams put on in 2 months which coincidently (or not, debate team rats) is when I switched her to a full time rat eater.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  13:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
!!!

What will she be like when she's fully-grown????

This ought to be compulsory reading for any of the novelty pet brigade who think a boa is a cool accessory and will make them look 'hard.'

Owning any snake means 30 years of being a lavatory attendant ...

Nice weight gain btw!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  20:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats great weight gain! rats are great at making them fill nicely . I cant believe when they poo and pee , its not a five min job and stinks to high heaven! lol

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  21:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never witnessed the process of them going to the toilet but I imagine it looks a bit like when you let go of a modelling balloon and it whizzes round the vivarium only wee and other items are flying out the end.

I had Sanke on mice because I was worried she would become obese as she is a dwarf but noticed she just wasn't growing as expected at all, I switched to the rat equivalent in weight and she started gaining weight rapidly and growing, not getting fat or anything just becoming more Boa shaped and growing in length as well.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  22:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have our 2 on rat fluffs , i did have brax on mice , but then ran out so gave him a rat pup , and now he wont touch mice . I wish there was a feeding chart like black echos for boas tho as i never kno what weight to feed mine , i dont want them to be obese either . Rudi is growing like u wouldnt believe . she doesnt look fat but she weighs 310 grams empty and is 8 months old . and brax is also a dwarf so i dont want him getting fat . Lexi has had a massive spurt now that shes on medium rats (we had her on weaners for ages and she wasnt growing like i thought and we got told she should have had bigger) now theres no stopping her and she put 400 grams on in a few months!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  22:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a difficult one to gauge isn't it, I go with rats slightly smaller than the chunkiest part of Sanke as they don't really take well to stuff thats too big or at least that seems to be the case anyway. I've also been told Boas turn fat into muscle so I think its difficult to get a Boa that is growing obese.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  23:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive also heard that too , i also dont want to be over feeding her to make her grow fast , i dont like power feeding , so its def hard to judge! do u feed every 10 days or 7 ?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  00:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every 7 days but I will possibly be bringing that down soon to every 10. Spot and Duke might also be getting to that stage so I'll move to every 10 with all of them in the next couple of months if thats what I decide, its hard to judge as none of them are overweight.

Edited by - Lotabob on 12/03/2012 00:13:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000