Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  19:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
I haven't been on this forum for about a year what with work, family, band and other distractions. My royal Tia is doing well and is about 1 metre long and weighs over a kilo. She hasn't eaten since the end of November, but I'm not worried.
I have now also got a baby BCI (man, was the wife considerably unchuffed). My question relates to this snake. I would have put it on the Boa forum, but nobody ever seems to answer any of the questions.
Any road up! Black Echo made a very useful chart regarding age and weight of royals. He also helped a lot by informing us about the size of prey to give to the snake i.e. 10-15% of its body weight.
My question is this; does such a chart exist for BCIs? Now I know they vary greatly in size depending on the region they come from, but would it be possible to construct a chart for say the first 2 years of a boa's life? My little boa is about 60cm long and weighs about 150g. This seems very light to me. I know they aren't built like royals, but I think it could still do with some beefing up.
Also, is the 10-15% of body weight for food items also applicable to Boas?
It's just eaten a large rat fuzzy (20g) and I'm pleased as it's its first feed with me and before that it only ate mice.
Sorry for all the rambling.
All the best,
Dave

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  19:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
best place to ask this would be www.therainbowboa.co.uk is our sister site for boas, not just rainbows ;)

however as far as im aware there is not guide for bci weight v age

Feeding wise, you should try to give food that is not greater than the width of the boa at its widest.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  13:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah as above, as with pretty much all snakes they are all different so a weight by age guide would cause more problems than not.

I have a Hogg Island Boa BCI, its a dwarf locale of Boa but I suppose the feeding rules still apply with them all. Firstly it would be very difficult to make a growing Boa obese. I feed something the same thickness as the Boa once a week while its still growing and plan to cut that to every 10 days once its growth slows and then to every 14 days once adult size is hit.

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies folks and sorry GMac for the double post. We were up-dating our anti virus and not being wise in the ways of computers I thought it hadn't sent it.
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
isnt a problem and no need to apologide ;)

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  07:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip GMac. I found the website for JnB boas and that was very useful. It's definitely a Nicaraguan I've got.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000