Suitable Incubating Temperatures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  21:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So I've got my little incubator ready to go and I'm giving it a test run now since I expect Savina to drop some eggs in a months time.

I want the temperature to be stuck at 31.6 exactly (obviously give or take a little for temperature changes) I'm using a polystyerine box with a pulse proportion habistat thermostat and a wee little heat mat. My egg box is a simple plastic tub with a lid, the thermostat probe and the thermometer and hygrometer probes go through the lid of the box via a small hole. The heat mat is under a small plastic grid to keep it off direct contact with the egg box.

The temperatures so far over the course of 24 hours have gone from 30c lowest to 32 highest. If they keep within those parameters will the eggs be okay and healthy do you guys think or should I fine-tune the incubator or maybe get another to keep it at a steady 31.6?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  22:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is a big range for o a pulse stat Kelf, I wouldnt be expecting that level of difference. Would change things about a bit to see what gives you the most stable temps.

for instance our incubator is poly box mat and pp stat with 0.3 range

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  22:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How strange, I wonder why I'm getting such a range.

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  23:33:51  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have a fan in you inc. to circulate the air?

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  09:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No it's a basic poly-box incubator

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  09:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reason I ask (I'm certainly no expert) was that yesterday I happen to be reading an article bob Clark had written for some magazine about snake breeding, and he got on about home made incubators using a heat mat as a heat source. He went on to say whilst this is perfectly ample, the heat will be higher at the bottom (closest the mat) and at the top (as heat rises), than in the middle, and the natural cycle of heating and cooling air can cause fluctuations in ambient temps around the eggs - roughly the middle.

His answer was to fit one of those small fans from something like a computer processor cooling unit, or similar - basically just something to move the air around a little to stabelise the overall temp.

The article in question - http://www.bobclark.com/articles/200603.html

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  11:18:43  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about adding one of those little handheld fans but then I had the horrible thought that knowing my luck my eggs would hatch without me knowing it and I'd arrive back with chopped up babies haha!

I might add a computer fan that's not a bad idea I have some spare I think.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  11:46:38  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i fan wont magerly change the temperature range, a fan is to spread the temperature range in the tub out, so say if you have 32 at top and 30 at bottom, then the fan would help to even that out
do you have any water bottles in the incubator?? this helps to maintain temps when the box is opened, or when the mats switch off. this might help to try to maintain a nice range
and just one more quick point, and its only from my point of view, might be easier to read the temps in farenheit due to you being able to read it at a more accurate range just my view anyway

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  12:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exactly what Danny says: The fan won't change the temperature, just move the air around to even out the overall temparature.

Maybe put the fan on the lid out of reach of snakes? Think a handheld fan would be overkill - you're not looking to make wind, just mix air up, as it were.

How would you power a CPU fan?? I suppose you could pull the whole transformer unit out of a PC and connect the fan(s) straight up to that maybe??

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  12:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Water bottles help maintain the temperature?
On a side note since last night my temperatures have been steadying themselves now they fluctuate from 31.1 to 31.8 which is a lot better. I might rebuild the incubator in a new poly box as this one a little beaten up probably getting a lot of hot air escaping.

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  12:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Water is a good radiator of heat, but a poor conductor - so I think what Danny is getting at is that the water would reach the desired temp, and if the ambient temp dropped, the water would then "discharge" it's store heat to maintain the deisre ambient temp.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  18:05:58  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ye the water bottles get to the desired temp you want, and help to keep it at them temp when the box is say opened up so heat escapes. alot of breeders tend to use them for that reason.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  18:39:25  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to test with your tub medium in

I was getting diff temps in the tubs
Found out it was because I was resting the thermometer probs on the egg create
Made them stand up with straws now and there really good temps

I've turned my fans off because of diffrent temps
But going to try them again tomorrow to see what happens

I have water bottles in there it helps to get the temps up after the doors been opened

I've tried lots or diffrent things and I'm near enough there I think lol

Good luck with it

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 15/03/2012 18:40:56
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  12:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How thick is the poly box? when ever i`ve seen people using home made incubators they alway have thick poly boxs. You could try extra insulation, a cheap way is to gat a large enough cardboard box, screwed up newspaper on the bottom, insert your incubator, more screwed up paper down the sides and on top and close the lid. At least you`ve done the sensible thing and got yourself ready with plenty of time to get everything right, good luck you`ll soon be a dad.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  12:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I seem to have fixed the problem by closing my window :P not sure how it could have that big an effect but I guess it did as now It varys between 31.3 and 31.8 which is perfect

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  12:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am picking up my poly box tonight, did you fit a double glazed (two cd covers) window in yours?

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  13:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The window for sure affects a styrofoam incubator (I think that's what you got, not sure what a poly-something is though) because it is not insulated. A pulse stat reacts to the temperature at that one centimeter of space where the probe is which has a lag from the temperature on the incubator walls when the window is open. Make sense?

If you have something like a mini-fridge then no, the window wouldn't affect it at all.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts