Success!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  23:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got Ifrit home last week, and after speaking to the owner, he confessed that he hadn't had any luck getting him onto rats despite trying many times as he got bigger - meaning he was having to feed him 2 large mice at a time.

Ifrit is 3'10'' and weighed 720 grams last week - he looks a little on the thin side, but not excessively so my any means, but a little fattening up would be nice. I offered him a jumbo mouse last week, and I know that moving can be stressful for them so wasn't expecting too much, but he took it without hesitation. His ideal prey size should be around 85 grams - bigger than a jumbo mouse!!

So I defrosted a weaner rat today (bought for Monty, but figured I'd try one on Ifrit), and he almost had my bloody hand off with his eagerness! As I put Ifrit in one end of the feeding box, I was trying to get the rat out of the bag at the other end - Ifrit must have got a whiff of it and literally charged down the box and lunged at the rat before I'd even got it out of the bag and my hand out of the way!

Needless to say, I think Ifrit is converted A few more weeks on weaners and I'll bump him up to small rats, which will be more fitting of his weight.

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  00:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats on the feed, yep they can move fast when theres a tasty rat involved

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  00:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah - good lad! Congrats!

Yes, I got Surahi when she was 4, was told she'd only eat mice - but 6 months later after her fast, she took a rat and has never looked back.

Last Nov, same scenario with Shiva, who'd been fed on mice, but who took a rat on first feed with me and has never fasted. CB09, he weighed 850g on arrival ...a few days ago I weighed him again ...1230g!!!!!

Plus a small rat every 10 days was better for his metabolism than one large mouse per week - now he'll be moving on to a medium rat every fortnight.

It's not that we're fattening them like bacon pigs, but - they don't half do better on rats!

Clever Ifrit!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000