New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  17:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey people. I was just wondering seeing as the weather seems to be so lovely recently, I want to give Floyd a chance to explore outside in the garden. What would be the best time of day for this? Early in the afternoon when it's at it's warmest. Or around this time when the suns still out but cooled down a bit? Cheers guys.

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  17:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would say lunchtime/early afternoon ish.
as long as its warm will be fine

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  17:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok mate cheers. Will he be ok to have a good slither through the grass? Think I may be being a little over bearing lol. Just making sure I am in no way jeopardising his health :)

1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  17:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as long as thers no dog/cat mess ect an you have not sprayed weedkiller or anything like that on the grass he will be fine

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  17:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks :). When he's finished his shed (which will hopefully be an improvement on the last) he can have good old outdoor excursion!

1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  19:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know lots of people do this, but you are increasing the chance of your Royal getting mites. Not only that but they are nocturnal and the 1st thing it could do is stress it out.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  19:36:32  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I testify to the stressing thing pandora is a boa but it's still quite overwhelming i'm still picking teeth out my ass from the last outside experience haha

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  19:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys, taken fully on board. And kelf I seen that photo, epic! Lol

1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  19:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Trruth be told when the weather is nice I always take my guys out, only the sun lights them up nicely for a photo

Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  19:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea I want to. I thought they'd like something a bit different to explore than a bed or sofa. I'm torn now.

1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  20:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

I know lots of people do this, but you are increasing the chance of your Royal getting mites. Not only that but they are nocturnal and the 1st thing it could do is stress it out.

If snake mites are in your garden then you have snakes in there too. No snakes, no mites.

Stress I agree with, Royals are nocturnal, so I wouldn't take them out in direct sunlight its an alien world to them as captive animals and they are instinctively weary of the daytime. I have taken Duke out at sunset (on a very warm night), he didn't appear overly stressed basking in the last of the days sun laying on my belly. Do think the occasional short exposure to sunlight can be beneficial but you know your animal, if it appears distressed or even mildly uncomfortable its time to go home.

Recognising the signs is crucial, for example if you pull this face;

your snake has decided it wants to go home.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  20:34:08  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
God damn it bob .. *facepalm*

Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  20:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok bob. Thanks for the advice. I personally think he'd be ok, As you said, you know your animal, he's a really chilled out little fella, I'll give him a little taster soon. And I'm sure he'll let me know if he doesn't approve :). I really can't help but laugh every time I see that photo! Lol. Sorry kelf!

1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  20:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

If snake mites are in your garden then you have snakes in there too. No snakes, no mites.

We dont all live in cities

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  21:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wish I had snakes in my garden

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  22:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be cool. I would think that if you had mite infested ones though in close proximity to the house your collection would already be infested too though dont quote me on that, maybe you'd have to callingtons them too, they'd thank you for it I'm sure.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  12:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, going round observing the adders' favourite basking spots and zapping them (the basking spots) with Callingtons' when the adder was absent? Lol.

My brother in law has slow worms in his garden, even better, as they're lizards, and didn't someone on here say that lizards weren't affected by snake mites? (I may be wrong of course.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000